One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Mike....are his pockets missing buttons due to omission (he was their first Viet Nam release I believe), or was that period accurate (where the buttons might be "hidden" under the pocket flap, even though they aren't represented)...

For Lucas (I think its Lucas, the M14 Marine gunner).....I've messed with my figure so many times I can't recall if I gave him the rigger-modified (for lack of a better word) pants (with the strap across the ankles) and the top BDU with the slanted pockets (all with buttons on them)....Hmmm...I've seen Marines with boonies and M14's in pics, but not with those style jackets and pants.....did I screw up there or was that a possibility....or were those issued by Dragon and they screwed up?

Lastly, what sort of ammo container would a Grenedier with a blooper use....whatever was available? Or was there some specific part (that no doubt costs tons to acquire in 1/6 :D )

Thanks everyone!

·
Enjoying the View
1,136 Posts
Blooper gunners had bandoliers to carry their M79 rounds. I don't think anyone ever made those in 1/6, but I could be wrong. Later on in the war
(1968-on) they had special vests that had multiple pockets to carry the rounds. 21C did release one of these in one of their modern uniform sets ten years ago.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For Mike....are his pockets missing buttons due to omission (he was their first Viet Nam release I believe), or was that period accurate (where the buttons might be "hidden" under the pocket flap, even though they aren't represented)...

For Lucas (I think its Lucas, the M14 Marine gunner).....I've messed with my figure so many times I can't recall if I gave him the rigger-modified (for lack of a better word) pants (with the strap across the ankles) and the top BDU with the slanted pockets (all with buttons on them)....Hmmm...I've seen Marines with boonies and M14's in pics, but not with those style jackets and pants.....did I screw up there or was that a possibility....or were those issued by Dragon and they screwed up?

Lastly, what sort of ammo container would a Grenedier with a blooper use....whatever was available? Or was there some specific part (that no doubt costs tons to acquire in 1/6 :D )

Thanks everyone!
Dragons Mike(Green Beret) figure has the 3rd Pattern Jungle fatigues(buttons were concealed under the flap).
Dragons Nate(Marine with the M14) figure wears the 1st Pattern Jungle fatigues with the exposed buttons and epaullets(sp?) and the take up tabs on the back at waist level.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
Blooper gunners had bandoliers to carry their M79 rounds. I don't think anyone ever made those in 1/6, but I could be wrong. Later on in the war
(1968-on) they had special vests that had multiple pockets to carry the rounds. 21C did release one of these in one of their modern uniform sets ten years ago.
SOTW made a 1:6th NAM versions 40 mm Grenade Bandoleer (6 pocket) for the M79. It had a space in the middle for the M16 Bandoleer to fit over it. GIGENE you are right: 21C made a 40 mm Grenadier vest, as well as, InToyz, and Hot Toys. You can still find the HT version still a Toy Square (http://www.toys2.net/home.php?cat=123&page=3).

Dragon made some good NAM figures. But I may be the only one who thing so. I am in the process of updating my DML NAM figures which, has been a joy as the work continues. If you can find a BBi green beret you will find that its fits and looks much better then the DML version. Just remove the flash and replace it will the DML one.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
Just to chime in a bit... for what its worth.

I have purchased a lot of loose pieces and several boxed DML figures. As for the boxed figures, I bought the "We Were Soldiers" twin pack, Rusell, Mike and Oscar. I have bought loose pieces from Jake, Nate, Ron and Linh. Never got my hands on any of the James stuff.

Becase I have gotten into the Nam stuff only recently, I only use pieces of each kit along with upgraded boots (NLM, ace and TS), TS M1956 LBE and a few bits and pieces from HT and 21C.

Given hobbyists' general disdain for molded web gear, the DML stuff is pretty much passe or effete.

From a weapons standpoint, DML stuff is as good as there is on the market. Their M16A1, XM16E1 and CAR15/XM177 are unsurpassed in my opinion. The HT M60 vs. the DML M60 may be debatable, but I have never seen the DML version. The DML M79 is very scarce and may be inferior to the HT version, but are pretty close.

DML is the only company (to my personal knowledge) to put out an ERDL uniform. I was lucky enough to grab and HT and InToyz grenade vest. I prefer the InToyz version, but I removed all of the velcro (too bulky) and put nonworking metal stud buttons on each pouch. After collecting enough 40mm grenades from all around, I filled each pocket and used fabric glue to close them all. Having 22 functional vest pockets was not a real priority for me. The HT version is okay, but its a bit darker OD than most Nam era pictures I have seen. That particular vest was in use up until recently when modular LBE gear starting being used.

·
In the bush..........Nam baby!
3,190 Posts
As far as the blooper gunner, the following is from the exceptional and absolute must read Fields of Fire by James Webb, the "best", "most important", and "classic" novel of the Vietnam War.

Cannonball walked listlessly, weighted by his pack and by nearly a hundred blooper rounds that he carried strapped to his thigh in a large bag, at almost a pound apiece. Ah need me a target, he thought mournfully. Ah need to shoot off 'bout half these things. They give me all this ammo, we see all these damn gooks--never seen so many damn gooks in all my life, an' Ah only shoot about ten rounds all day. Ten damn rounds.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,338 Posts
Becase I have gotten into the Nam stuff only recently, I only use pieces of each kit along with upgraded boots (NLM, ace and TS), TS M1956 LBE and a few bits and pieces from HT and 21C.

From a weapons standpoint, DML stuff is as good as there is on the market. Their M16A1, XM16E1 and CAR15/XM177 are unsurpassed in my opinion. The HT M60 vs. the DML M60 may be debatable, but I have never seen the DML version. The DML M79 is very scarce and may be inferior to the HT version, but are pretty close.

DML is the only company (to my personal knowledge) to put out an ERDL uniform. I was lucky enough to grab and HT and InToyz grenade vest. I prefer the InToyz version, but I removed all of the velcro (too bulky) and put nonworking metal stud buttons on each pouch. After collecting enough 40mm grenades from all around, I filled each pocket and used fabric glue to close them all. Having 22 functional vest pockets was not a real priority for me. The HT version is okay, but its a bit darker OD than most Nam era pictures I have seen. That particular vest was in use up until recently when modular LBE gear starting being used.
The James M60 is very good. As was most of his gear. All the DML weapons are very good quality. The DML 'Nam figures were the best at the time. I have owned almost all of them (missed the Moore, and Moore twin pack). But there is new TS gear thet would make any of them awesome. Look around for those DML M79s they are way easier to find than the HTs. I have sold 4 on ebay, and still have some for just in case. They came with 2 Nam uniform sets, 1 ERDL, and the other Jungle fatigues. Also came with some more modern sets as well. They usually came with 3 40mm HE rounds, and one tear gas/rubber bullet/shotgun round (I am actually not sure what that one round is, but all of those have apparently been issued at one time or another).

The Intoys vest is nice, but not period accurate. That is a more modern vest. The bandolier was the most common carrying device in ref pics, but what ever was available would be pressed into sevice.

ERDL has had some issuance with both HT, and TS as well, with their SEAL figures, and they are good too, but only as a jacket with the one HT figure (M63 Stoner gunner). The other HT figure (muscle body M60 shorty gunner) has a tiger stripe grenade vest that has sewn on pockets, and looks like a 'field custom'.

I missed almost all of the 21c sets.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I own Fields of Fire and I've purchased most of the Dragon NAM figures for bashing. I dont mind so much the rubber gear because it passes the 3 foot rule. Plus someday if I ever get around to painting, a little drybrushing on that stuff goes a long way (once you flatten out the shine from the plastic on some of the rubbery parts, anyhow).

Another question: I've seen period pcis of the M16A1 with a silencer attached, looks like it goes all the way up to the front sight, almost none of the barrel can be seen. Was this a fairly uncommon item issued to SF troops in the field? Was it effective or not?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I own Fields of Fire and I've purchased most of the Dragon NAM figures for bashing. I dont mind so much the rubber gear because it passes the 3 foot rule. Plus someday if I ever get around to painting, a little drybrushing on that stuff goes a long way (once you flatten out the shine from the plastic on some of the rubbery parts, anyhow).

Another question: I've seen period pcis of the M16A1 with a silencer attached, looks like it goes all the way up to the front sight, almost none of the barrel can be seen. Was this a fairly uncommon item issued to SF troops in the field? Was it effective or not?
HeadRusch1, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Nam era silenced M16 did not work to well.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
....But there is new TS gear thet would make any of them awesome. Look around for those DML M79s they are way easier to find than the HTs. I have sold 4 on ebay, and still have some for just in case.... They came with 2 Nam uniform sets, 1 ERDL, and the other Jungle fatigues. Also came with some more modern sets as well. They usually came with 3 40mm HE rounds, and one tear gas/rubber bullet/shotgun round (I am actually not sure what that one round is, but all of those have apparently been issued at one time or another).

The Intoys vest is nice, but not period accurate. That is a more modern vest. The bandolier was the most common carrying device in ref pics, but what ever was available would be pressed into sevice.

ERDL has had some issuance with both HT, and TS as well, with their SEAL figures, and they are good too, but only as a jacket with the one HT figure (M63 Stoner gunner). The other HT figure (muscle body M60 shorty gunner) has a tiger stripe grenade vest that has sewn on pockets, and looks like a 'field custom'.

These pics reflect what I was led to believe are 1967 version 1:1 vests and are extremely close to the InToyz version, or at least the version I have. The only apparent difference is there are only five lower pouches on each side vs. six on this 1:1 version.

Of course I may have been misled on the three separate photo references above. I am a self-diagnosed accuracy nut, so if I am wrong about this, please show me some correct references.

·
Registered
548 Posts
JTFazz,

Your the vest in the uppermost pic is generally regarded as the Vietnam use vest - it can be denoted by the normal (HE) pockets in the top row.

Afterwards they placed the longer (illum) round pockets there, which are illustrated in your lower two photos.

I have one of the earlier vests - dated 1968 and one of the later ones dated 1973 (the earliest I've seen this type).

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
JTFazz,

Your the vest in the uppermost pic is generally regarded as the Vietnam use vest - it can be denoted by the normal (HE) pockets in the top row.

Afterwards they placed the longer (illum) round pockets there, which are illustrated in your lower two photos.

I have one of the earlier vests - dated 1968 and one of the later ones dated 1973 (the earliest I've seen this type).
I thought the top row of pouches looked a bit long. If that is the only real difference... and given there is no real alternative in the 1/6 world, then I think I can live with that one small difference.

Looks, too, like only two snaps on the placket of the earlier version as opposed to three on the later version.

I might be able to do a small mod on the upper pouches to make them a bit shorter.

Thanks for that information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.