One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been trying to find pictures of guys in the 506th kitted out so I can figure out how all this gear should hang. My biggest hang up right now is his e-tool. It's kind of HUGE. Would he have jumped with this or picked it up some time later? We've all seen Band of Brothers, and all know that they lost most of their kit on that first jump... Anyhoo, just trying to figure out how to hang all this. :sadshake

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
The Albert Ross version is the folding M-1943. Most airborne troops on D-Day used an M-1910 with a shortened handle.

As with everything in WWII, there are exceptions and I am sure that at some point, some airborne troopers had the folding M1943 e-tool. But I doubt many jumped in with them because of the length.

The Ross version handle is long even for an M1943 e-tool.

To answer your specific question, the etool is hung from the belt grommets using the wire hanger on the back of the cover.

I have put together a small photo that shows the differences. In the middle is a side by side scale comparison of the Ross e-tool and a 1:1 e-tool. You can see the Ross version is much bigger and longer than it should be.

Although they do a tremendous job in detail on most of their gear, DiD is notorious for mismatching the gear in their kits. The shortened M1910 in the pic is from the David Merrill Ranger kit. I am sure some Rangers probably used shortened e-tools, but this was more typically seen with airborne troopers.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I have it hanging off the belt, that's what made me question where it should be. I just couldn't see some one jumping let alone landing with this tool hanging below the knees.
It is a beautiful shovel. Metal blade, wood handle, and everything works like it should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.