One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with converting head sculpts sculpted with a permanently attached neck to head sculpts without a neck. Is that even doable? Would the result look reasonably decent? I did not want to take the Dremel to one of those before checking.

Thanks in advance.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
It can be done though it would very much depend on your abilities as to what the result would be. Which heads do you want to convert, it's possible there may be alternatives that don't have necks. Post some pics of what you have so we can see what you might need.

CHEERS!

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
I've done it and it worked ok. It works best with a sculpt that has a clearly defined hairline at the back (so not well on Dragon WWII German heads). I began by cutting off the neck where it meets the jaw in front, then along the hairline in back. You'll definitely need a steady hand for this. Then i shaved off some of the thickness right at the edges especially at the back. I have no photos, sorry - I re-purposed the body and can't seem to find the head after a quick search. I have it somewhere though and will try to post photos later. :)

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
I've done it many times. Grab a neckless head that fits the body you intend to place the new head on. Copy the neckline in pencil and dremel away. Smooth is fast in this case. You'll need a neck plug for the new head or some blutak to secure it.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the responses, advice, and links.
As suggested, I experimented with a head sculpt I did not particularly care about (an old Channing Tatum head sculpt with attached neck), and achieved very decent results (still work in progress in terms final touches and internal neck fitting). Before I used any Dremel action, however, I followed up a suggestion I encountered in one of the links, of using an X-acto knife. It worked surprisingly well, expecially after heating the plastic to make it more pliable. One still has to touch up the result, but it was remarkably easy for the basic operation (or should I say surgery). Angling the knife inward and upward (towards the top of the head) when slicing is very helpful, as it minimizes the amount of additional smoothing you would need to do afterwards (the rough stuff is invisible from the outside).
Over the years I had come across a number of remarkably good head sculpts on eBay (e.g. of Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne, of Heath Ledger as the unpainted Joker, etc.), but was deterred from buying them because of the attached necks. And sometimes there was no viable neck-less alternative available. I like to customize and swap heads and bodies (especially when the latter are loose or insufficiently articulated), so these attached necks were a great annoyance. But now I know there is a relatively easy cure.
Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts