One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think this is pretty steep shipping?
$130.81
*S&H $44.95
----------------
Total $ 175.76

i don't think i've been charged this much for 1 boxed figure and a loose items lot before... usually i don't heed the shipping costs but it just looks a bit steep in this case.

also, would anyone out there know what the shipping costs are broken down into? IE, i assume it's along the lines of packaging, labelling, transport etc

thanks.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
It depends on what it is.I recently gave a quote for a loose figure that weighed 2 lbs and it was 15 -31 dollars depending,and that is with no insurance or extras at all.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
that's a tough question to answer without more information. Where is it coming from, where is it going? How much is a "lot" of loose items? What are the loose items? Metal? how big is the box? $45 shipping isn't to bad from California to the Netherlands, for example, for a 24 pound box of items. It is pretty steep from Missouri to Canada for a standard DML figure and a set of boots and plastic baggie of clips and weapons.

If you add insurance, then the cost rises... shipping to much of Asia, Italy, Spain, or Africa, Iraq, Russia, etc. is not recommended without insurance. That can be several extra dollars, depending on value of the figure, etc..

In general, i would say $45 in shipping and handling is a bit more than normal, but i can easily see that it is within reason, in many circumstances.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Hey Stooge,
No idea what service level you asked for or what kind of insurance... I handle all the shipping for my company both local and international. The dimensions of the package can sometimes be a factor. Recently I had to ship 4 - 48 inch diameter lamp shades from California to Las Vegas (that's a 4 hour drive), It cost about $75 each to do this. FedEx and my other freight forwarders will charge by weight or by dim, whichever is higher.

Dimensions and service level are the biggest factors for me when shipping.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
also, it depends on if you are shipping postal system, or something like UPS or FedEx... either of the others would likely be a bit more, i believe.

·
Social Misfit
1,355 Posts
the shipping isn't too high when compared to what I orderes a few times. I ordered a few uniforms. Price for uniforms- $110 (about) and about $75 shipping from singapore. I had a smaller order, $57, and shipping was still quite a bit- $45

·
Registered
162 Posts
That sounds about right to the UK. Most US companies seem to charge £30 - $40 for an order and as you add more parts it doesn't seem to up as quick. I think its the initial box and delivery and as the additional parts will probably fit in the same box it doesn't impact the shipping fees to much.

Putting together an order now at a webstore and got a quote of $50 for a boxed figure and a couple of parts so not to bad. Saying that Modellers loft will charge a similar from the UK onve you convert it to £s so I guess it just depends on how much you want it........

Rob

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It's been a decision-point for me before. Buying books from o'seas can be a shocker as well. All the above comments explain it pretty well, but you still have to say OUCH! The best salve is the package containing goodies that you really want.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hey Stooge,
No idea what service level you asked for or what kind of insurance... I handle all the shipping for my company both local and international. The dimensions of the package can sometimes be a factor. Recently I had to ship 4 - 48 inch diameter lamp shades from California to Las Vegas (that's a 4 hour drive), It cost about $75 each to do this. FedEx and my other freight forwarders will charge by weight or by dim, whichever is higher.

Dimensions and service level are the biggest factors for me when shipping.
Very True, I have repackaged figures for people over seas because some of the boxes figures come in are huge! Sea International is the worst about over size figure boxes. If you don't care about the box, plus you know and trust the seller to repackage you boxed figure that may bring the shipping cost down a little.

Paul

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Like everyone else says man sometimes dimensional weight of a box can override the actual physical weight and shipping companies will then go by the dimensions of the box due to size difference. I had purchased a figure from overseas about a year ago and the shipping charges were astronomical for what it was. The box the figure came in was big and the outer box to protect it was huge in order to keep it from being damaged.

·
Uber-Unteroffizier
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i also remember being charged 60 dollars for shipping a carded ultimate soldier German NCO figure.
I haven't recovered from the shock

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is virtually impossible to get a shopping cart to accurately calculate all overseas shipping variables. Each country has their own size and weight issues. Then it also comes down to which method to ship. if you want the full tracking and insurance you have to use Express Mail in which case the $45 quoted is probably accurate. To get an idea of rates to your country go to http://ircalc.usps.gov/
and plug in your country and various weights to get an idea. A packed basic boxed figure with parts will be about 3-5 pounds depending (obviously Hot Toys, DiD, and other large boxed figures will be more).

I cannot speak for any retailer but us, but our cart calculates by weight as close as possible, then we take the actual order and weigh/measure before shipping it. If the costs are less than what the cart quoted, we lower them to the actual cost before charging the card. If it is more (unless it is crazy more) than what the cart quoted, we eat it. If it is crazy more (like on large vehicles or something) we contact the customer and advise of the costs and ask them what they would like to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.