One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hot toys muscle bodies, the ones that come with the rocky and rambo figures, would is be possible to dye or paint them? I'm considering using one as the basis for a flash figure from the TV show.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I've used the search function here (not that deeply) but didn't find much.

I'm going for a darker flesh tone not a red. I've been thinking of using cheap makeup. It tends to stain.

·
Time Lord Of Flatbush
5,917 Posts
Hi Guys,

Kneejoint... Sorry I did not get back to your PM earlier.
I do not use the email that is connected to my OSW account anymore, so it's the luck of the draw when it comes to PM's.
I signed on the other day after being MIA from the board for about 4-5 months.

Anywhoo... Here are some pics of Dyed OLD HT Gumby bodies.
I stress that they are old.
I'm not sure about the new ones but many of the older version I have are Literally crumbling apart.

I boiled liquid RIT and then painted it on for one and the other is simply watered down Citidel (Warhammer) water based Paint.
The skin on the older versions seems to be much more porous than the new HT bodies.

Dyed

Painted

Below you can see where the elbow is cracking.
Mind you this is a first generation Body and this pic was taken 2-3 years after the fig was painted. I doubt that the paint had any effect on the constitution of the rubber or whatever it is the body is made of.

Hope this is of some help.

Peace,

Aly

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dyes

** Though I have no pics, I found leather dye works very well on rubber and plastic. It also won't crack off like most paint because it stains the rubber instead of just covering the surface. I used Fiebings professional leather dye. Don't use the water based eco friendly, they suck.

The permanent professional dyes come in tons of colors and in small 4oz bottles. I get most of mine from stecksstore on ebay. They are very reasonable with pricing. You do have to seal it as well or it can bleed and become a mess. It works best if you use the dye and then seal it with fast drying matte or gloss clear coat. Wait at least 3-4 hours before sealing. You can also apply dyes with cheap sprayers, brushes and cottom daubers. You can also use dye reducers to lighten colors if you can't find the exact match. The only thing that could crack I guess would be the sealer. But I've never dyed a whole body, just parts.

Something you may not of thought of, so it could be a help.

If you don't want to do that, Triad has a new Male super hero body suits in different colors. That may be a safe way to go..lol

IKE-CON

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Hi Guys,

Kneejoint... Sorry I did not get back to your PM earlier.
I do not use the email that is connected to my OSW account anymore, so it's the luck of the draw when it comes to PM's.
I signed on the other day after being MIA from the board for about 4-5 months.

Anywhoo... Here are some pics of Dyed OLD HT Gumby bodies.
I stress that they are old.
I'm not sure about the new ones but many of the older version I have are Literally crumbling apart.

I boiled liquid RIT and then painted it on for one and the other is simply watered down Citidel (Warhammer) water based Paint.
The skin on the older versions seems to be much more porous than the new HT bodies.

Dyed

Painted

Below you can see where the elbow is cracking.
Mind you this is a first generation Body and this pic was taken 2-3 years after the fig was painted. I doubt that the paint had any effect on the constitution of the rubber or whatever it is the body is made of.

Hope this is of some help.

Peace,

Aly
Oddly enough, the cracks on the Urak-Hai, at least from the pics provided add to the realism for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.