One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tan cloth e-tool cover from Dragon and would like to dye it olive drab. Has anyone had any success. If so, what did you use?

:cheers

Mickey Moon

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
If you must use dye, then try Dylon or Rit OD Green. They do have their downsides though. If the material is synthetic (polyester or nylon), then it won't take the dye very well and unfortunately, the thread will almost certainly be synthetic. Rit does have a line of dyes for synthetic materials in their Dyemore line but OD green isn't an available color and I've yet to find a color mixing formula for the dyes in the line to create that color. The dyes should be easy to find in stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby, though Walmart or your local grocery store may have the color you need in stock. However, for something so small, I would just use thinned OD acrylic paint. The inexpensive stuff found in the craft section at Walmart works just fine. Alternatively, you can use a paint made specifically for fabric but I haven't tried that because acrylic works so well. Also, you can try using a paint marker like those in the Prismacolor line, which can also be found at craft stores. I did a forum search for relevant threads that you may want to look through for more information and images. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Any tips on dyeing? or Can this be dyed olive drab?
Fabric Dye Question, Need Some Expert Help
An alternative to Rit dye for 1/6 clothing
Help needed: how to dye gear

·
Captain Eyestrain
1,194 Posts
Use acrylic paint as Scimitar says : always a better choice where synthetic thread is used. Actually , all military webbing tends to look better anyway if given a coat of paint, even if you don't want to recolour it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Your replies so far have covered it – one thing I will point out, from my dyeing experiences, is that whilst the material may take the dye the thread used to sew the item may not – most common threads are not cotton, but synthetic.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just a thought, could you not use marker pens or Sharpies to go over the threads that don't catch the dye? Or .... kinda colour the cloth in and smooth over the ink with nail varnish remover or rubbing alcohol?

never tried it so don't blame me if it goes wrong but it wouldn't be the first time ive used marking pens on clothes , you can get some designed especially for cloth if you are worried

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
I've used markers with alcohol-based inks to color action figure clothing pieces with quite a bit of success. It so happens that I posted a thread about it some years back. I tried searching for it, but it doesn't come up; does anyone have better luck searching for older posts?

David

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
I've used markers with alcohol-based inks to color action figure clothing pieces with quite a bit of success. It so happens that I posted a thread about it some years back. I tried searching for it, but it doesn't come up; does anyone have better luck searching for older posts?

David
I believe that the third link that I posted above is the thread that you are referring to: An alternative to Rit dye for 1/6 clothing

And yeah, the search function here is sucking again. It seemed to work okay for awhile but is performing poorly once again. Fortunately, there is a simple work around using Google that I used to find the threads that I linked to above. I posted the details on how to do that last year. That thread is here:

A Google search tip to augment the improperly working search function here

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
I believe that the third link that I posted above is the thread that you are referring to: An alternative to Rit dye for 1/6 clothing

And yeah, the search function here is sucking again. It seemed to work okay for awhile but is performing poorly once again. Fortunately, there is a simple work around using Google that I used to find the threads that I linked to above. I posted the details on how to do that last year. That thread is here:

A Google search tip to augment the improperly working search function here
Yes, that was the thread to which I referred; thanks!

Thanks also for posting the search tip again; that should be a big help to new and old members alike!

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts