One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post here.

Is anyone else disappointed in the quality of the ACE's Vietnam figures? I'm particularly upset with the harness/pouches that came with the Cowboy set. I spent hours trying to get the little ALICE clips snapped in. My issue now is that I cannot get the harness to sit below mid-chest without either the back or front straps being ultra loose and baggy. I feel like throwing in the towel here.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
533 Posts
I would try adding weight to the butt pack if you're using it or tightening the web belt to be snugger in one place, i normally dont have that issue because i used mostly canteen covers and add something with weight for a natural hang, as for the m67 gear i use a small pair of pliers to squeeze and push simultaneously when i do use them, other than that im actually pleased i dont have much of the issues people have with the unis on grunts because i dont use those bodies and i have replaced nearly everything with ACE, i have 25+ SF and Macv sog figures done and parts to put close to that many more together

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the "Cowboy" and "Bulldozer" Figure as complete Figures and nearly from all other ACE Vietnam Figures loose parts. ACE did a very good job with the equipment and i love it. I nearly only use their stuff for my Figures. The ALICE clips are working like the real ones but in 1/6 scale it was a little hard to get them worked the first times. Now after some pouches it is an easy task.
To get the web gear hang naturally you have to put some weight into the pouches like in realitiy. The plastic Magazines in 1/6 scale or the little metal hangers don´t have enough weight. If you put some weight (lead or little bags with sand filled) in to the pouches, rucksack etc. it really makes big difference. Also you can use a drop of superglue to fix the webgear and/or pouches steady to the lower part of the Uniform or better hold it in place. This will create the needed tension. The product photos are never made from an Figure out of the Box and so you need some tricks.
The Equipment and Uniforms are not 100% perfect but the best Deal today and this is critic on very high level. If the Uniforms (OD+ERDL) would be longer and had a looser fit then it would perfect for me. This problem is more with bigger bodys like their own ACE ones. If you use an older and smaller Body from Dragon, Barrack Seargent or Hottoys the Uniforms looks much better. Also the newer DamToys 2.0 bodys with narrow shoulders work well.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
The ALICE clips can definitely be a pain in the butt in 6th scale. It usually takes me some futzing...I've had some clips break on me, though, and wound up using bent wire to attach them to the web belt instead, not a huge deal since no one is going to see that part on the figure anyway, so if the clips do prove problematic, there are definitely work-arounds.

You could also try wetting the harness and its straps down, using some water and diluted wet glue, and use some weights (heck, even pennies, or what ever will fit) in the pouches...the diluted glue will help the straps keep their shape, and when dried, you should be golden.
I've had some issues with their E tool cover, in trying to get the bayonet in the holder and actually wound up breaking a retention strap...and the straps on their wrist watches being almost too small to fit over the supplied wrist balls.

The Dragon BDUs are an excellent alternative to ACE's, as they're more accurately proportioned, and Dragon bodies fit ACE stuff really well.

Another body type that fits with the ACE uniform well is an older BBI style

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
An alternate weight source would be the small lead weights for fishing lines, usually available where fishing tackle is sold. Loading gear will also show any joint weaknesses, and serve as a learning process in posing. I like ACE's stuff, their bodies tend to represent a tall, mature male (and, IMO, one who has done a lot of walking, while loaded down) with broad hips. Hence, the better fit on smaller figures. Their short jungle jackets are the one chronic issue in a long, innovative series of figures, other than some of the headsculpts having hair and facial hair which could be anachronistic.

·
Fueled by Twix.
836 Posts
I agree that 1:6 ALICE clips stink, but from what I understand, 1:1 ALICE clips were not too popular either, so maybe they reproduced them a little too well? :)

The cut seems right for locally tailored tigerstripes, which seem to be less baggy in all of the reference pics I have seen, but not for US fatigues... my main sticking point is to make the jackets much longer. There should be a larger space between the upper and lower pockets. It is not a huge deal once they are loaded up, and the web belt covers it a little, but one of the things that sticks out to me in otherwise remarkable sets.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
I agree that 1:6 ALICE clips stink, but from what I understand, 1:1 ALICE clips were not too popular either, so maybe they reproduced them a little too well? :)

The cut seems right for locally tailored tigerstripes, which seem to be less baggy in all of the reference pics I have seen, but not for US fatigues... my main sticking point is to make the jackets much longer. There should be a larger space between the upper and lower pockets. It is not a huge deal once they are loaded up, and the web belt covers it a little, but one of the things that sticks out to me in otherwise remarkable sets.
This is the main reason the gear seems to sit too high, although weights in the pockets and pouches helps a lot (as does a shortened body). You can also pick up coated lead weights (so you're not actually handling lead) from hobby shops with model railroad stuff.

As for the Alice clips they are super fiddly -- especially the more accurate the design. It just takes practice and a lot of patience. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts