1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Excellent review, Michael. He looks great. I'm like you, old school Trek. It took me awhile to get into NG... it really wasn't until they introduced the Borg that I really started to enjoy the show. And this isn't a version of the franchise that I plan to delve deeply (so far Picard is the only one I want), since I'm far more interested in TOS, but I'm glad he turned out this good.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Thanks guys - yea, I think the head sculpt is getting some undue bashing by the usual suspects. I'm quite happy with it.
The review is great and well written and comprehensive. Where it gets into matters that are subjective or based on pre-disposition I think I'm personally in the same place, including that I like ST-TNG but it has nowhere near the emotional bond that I have for ST-TOS. The Stewart sculpt looks great to me and I have to just assume that the people who don't like it are somehow over-reacting from excessive reverence, or something. It's not even a situation where I can say "it looks good to me but I can see how others might disagree" like e.g. the Sly Stallone Justice Judge we just saw. With Qmx Picard, it outright puzzles me how anyone could have a strong negative reaction.

I ventured into my basement for a fresh look at the Dragon ST-TNG trio. I have always thought of the trio as poor and outdated but it occurs to me that impression is largely based on the Picard figure as the unacceptable worst of the trio. Now that we have this much better Picard, I'd say Dragon Data and Worf are good not great, even by today's standards, let's say "B" or "B-" figures. QmX will do much better but if they don't I could live with QmX Picard up front and Dragon Worf and Data second row.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Thanks guys - yea, I think the head sculpt is getting some undue bashing by the usual suspects. I'm quite happy with it.
I can't imagine folks having a problem with the sculpt.

Then again, I've seen paragraph-long rants about shoes...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for review. I was iffy on the head sculpt until now, but I'm REALLY glad I ordered this figure now.

BTW What does the back of the tunic look like? Is there a zipper or is it just a smooth pullover top?

·
Registered
490 Posts
The short tunic is so he can perform the 'Picard' manoeuvre where he pulls the front of his tunic down, he was always doing this in the show!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The "Picard" manoeuvre... haha nice one, Delanie! Always liked seeing that!

Excellent review, Michael! You mentioned the boots have zippers... so its leatherette?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow! They actually put a zipper on the back? That surprises me, seeing how good the figure looks from the front, I would have thought a zipper would have thrown off the 'fit' of that jacket at this scale. I hope it looks as good on the back!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! They actually put a zipper on the back? That surprises me, seeing how good the figure looks from the front, I would have thought a zipper would have thrown off the 'fit' of that jacket at this scale. I hope it looks as good on the back!

Thanks again!
Don't get too excited - I think it would have looked better in back without the zipper, although I bet it would have been tough to get on and off. The zipper does tend to pooch out as you'd expect. It's not a big deal to me since it's hidden, but I'm betting the reason they went this way was accuracy - I bet the actual shirts zipped in back. And you know Nanjim - accuracy is critical!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't get too excited - I think it would have looked better in back without the zipper, although I bet it would have been tough to get on and off. The zipper does tend to pooch out as you'd expect. It's not a big deal to me since it's hidden, but I'm betting the reason they went this way was accuracy - I bet the actual shirts zipped in back. And you know Nanjim - accuracy is critical!
Ah, I was afraid of the 'pooched-out' look. I was hoping the manufacturer would have just replicated the 'look' of the zipper with a seam or something.

Still, if they want to be 'accurate' then I suppose it's understandable they'd use the zipper. I know that the jacket patterns you could buy back in the day did have a zipper up the back, so I'm assuming the original jackets had that too.

Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts