One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a question for all the military figure buffs out there. I just received my first "official" military figure from DID, Brigadier General "Frank" (i.e., Ed Harris from The Rock), and it comes with all his ribbons, etc., but none of these are attached! Can someone please tell me how you put all these near microscopic pins on his uniform?
I tried taking his jacket off to make it easier, but there is some sort of tiny clasp at his throat, and after unbuttoning the coat and not being able to re-button a single one, I'm terrified to attempt that throat thing. I've gotten so frustrated I'm even contemplating taking the whole damn uniform off, which would really irk the crap out of me, since that's one of the main reasons I bought the thing in the first place. Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
For buttons, I use a really simple tool. I take a dental floss, tie a knot to make a loop. Put the loop around the button. Pass the end of the floss through the button hole. Pull. Slip off the loop. Repeat. I can do up a DiD coat almost as fast as a a 1:1 coat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the medals that come with this fiigure you need to attach the medals so that they are in a row and they overlap each other as the go from left to right as you look at him. As many as 7 medals can be in one row before you begin a second row. Then for example, if you had eight medals, you would make two rows of four that. However, with just four medals, the medals would not overlap each other. Once you make a row of five or more then the medals begin to overlap. The width of the row should be no wider than that of the jacket pocket. I hope that helps. Ill look for some pics to post.

The way the figure is shown displayed with the medals in the preview is incorrect.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For buttons, I use a really simple tool. I take a dental floss, tie a knot to make a loop. Put the loop around the button. Pass the end of the floss through the button hole. Pull. Slip off the loop. Repeat. I can do up a DiD coat almost as fast as a a 1:1 coat.
Great tip, thanks.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the medals that come with this fiigure you need to attach the medals so that they are in a row and they overlap each other as the go from left to right as you look at him. As many as 7 medals can be in one row before you begin a second row. Then for example, if you had eight medals, you would make two rows of four that. However, with just four medals, the medals would not overlap each other. Once you make a row of five or more then the medals begin to overlap. The width of the row should be no wider than that of the jacket pocket. I hope that helps. Ill look for some pics to post.

The way the figure is shown displayed with the medals in the preview is incorrect.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. Aside from that, what I was really asking was how to physically put this tiny pins on as they are so small I can't figure out how to put them on. But now I'll have to find pictures of Ed Harris to get the ribbons in the proper order. Thanks again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw that but i just wanted to add that since you would be applying the medals soon. That way you get a more accurate display. Just trying to help. :goodluck

·
Mid Atlantic Sixth Scale
697 Posts
Welcome to the world of 1:6... :lol
Get yourself some small tools, and a BIG magnifying glass with a light.
...and always keep an eye on the "tips & tricks" section.
Most importantly, DONT rush! & have fun.
...It took you HOW long to save up and buy it?, so, a few days to build it wont seem so bad...and is much more rewarding in the end.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi fellas, another question. I've identified all the medals from this figure but one: The cross to the left of the Meritorious Service Medal. Any ideas what that is? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think I would be tempted to tackle those medals the way I would in 1:1 scale. My medals are mounted together on one backing. So they get pinned on together as one. Individually pinning medals can get very sloppy looking. Not to mention tedious if you have accumulated as many as your General has. So in this case I would mount the little medals on one backing, maybe plastic card, and then use two sided tape and just stick them on, I wouldn't even bother with fiddly little pins which will likely end up looking sloppy.
Just my take on it.
Tim

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
When I have to re button a DID or other tunic that uses miniature buttons I take a twist tie and remove the paper or plastic retaining just the wire I make a loop in the middle then slip the wire through the button hole and slip the lopped end over the button then pull the wire and button through the button hole. This method also works for re-buttoning the DML panzer wrapper loops over those tiny buttons

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Pzwest-I do the same thing, use a thin wire...same idea as the dental floss mentioned above, just a little easier to work with I would think as it would not compress or slacken off like string would.

I would also use the method like Pangaloss states, mount them together..easiest way

·
Registered
31 Posts
The medals are out of order as pictured. In addition, with the amount of medals shown, you would only have two rows of 6 medals each.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Viaad I tried that link, but it's not working for me (tells me I have to do the ribbons before I can do the medals).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts