One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Triad toys faces an uncertain future because some chuckleheads have and or are in the process of stealing their designs and work. This ladies, is theft pure and simple. Nothing excuses this behavior in any way and I will not be one to condone such actions.

Whatever problems Louie may be experiencing right now I do not wish to add to them, therefore My apologies to Louie and Triad toys for my earlier silliness and harsh commentary. I for one absolutely know better then to speak out as I did and as such this apology is in the public domain.

Clay

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was completely unaware of any of this, as I don't really concentrate on that genre.

My best wishes to Louie and Triad over this matter.

I think that the offenders should be outed publicly here. While some people don't mind buying from thieves, most folks are decent and won't make it worth these turds' efforts.

Fight the good fight, Louie.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I have to agree with Louie and Triad on this one. I was around before Triad became what they are today. I think we as a community need to help and support the "little guy" as much as we can. That is how this hobby evolved into what it is today, by individuals putting out there custom work which in turn forced the big guys to improve. I for one am behind Triad

·
Registered
912 Posts
this is the way things work in China. If you come out with a cool idea that appears really marketable and you fairly new to the business and you don't do your research or don't have connections in China, they will take your idea and pass it off as their own or copy it and either make a poor quality version of itself or try to improve upon it. Either way, they're stealing. Intellectual property means nothing over there. Its a dog eat dog world and people are just desperate while making $1.00 or day or less.

When you go over there and tell them you want a prototype reproduced and you are appointing a guy over there to make sure that it is made well and also that you don't want anyone else to know or copy it, they will say to you, "how much will you pay me to keep this away from the competitors?" And even after you pay them, they still might stab you in the back. Look at Very Hot, they are copying Hot Toys stuff. And Soldier Story uses the bb G3.5 body but a cheaper version of itself.

Transformers toys are being knock-offed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I'm with Triad on this. But, if what Urban Samurai has to say is true refusing to buy products from the thieves won't amount to a hill of beans... I'll still do it

I have no idea who the offending party is. I've heard this rumor and that one but still don't know fact from fiction. If the offenders are outed on this site I am down with a Boycott.

I am a HUGE fan of Triad products and will support them in any way I can.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend that I know quite well (actually he's a close friend but I can't say who it is yet until later on) is starting his own line of 1/6 accessory sets just like how Toy Soldier makes boxed sets without the bodies.

He went to China with an advisor and translator hoping to acquire and research factories that could possibly produce his prototypes. Unfortunately, after the research, he came up with good quality factories but shady public relations. Almost everyone he talked to appeared to be, not exactly shady, but questionable. Work ethics don't really exist in terms of trying to keep things within the factory. Some of them, after seeing that his translator was also Chinese, asked his translator to wait outside because he saw that he was Chinese, thus probably he was worried that the translator would steal ideas or something. So the trip was not exactly wasted but just quite a learning experience in seeing how cut-throat the industry is over there.

He will continue to do research but after visiting 5 factories, there has been no luck so far but it was very interesting and exciting to see the actual products keep produced and all those factory workers working on certain products that we are all aware of.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Everybody should read this

I wish all of OSW would read this. So many times I read folks dogging the manufacturers with no underdstanding on what it takes to be in business let alone successful in it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Triad also played a big part in opening my eyes to the next level of the 1:6 hobby. Best of luck to you Louie!!

·
Don't Panic.
2,477 Posts
I wish all of OSW would read this. So many times I read folks dogging the manufacturers with no underdstanding on what it takes to be in business let alone successful in it.
+1 on that. I've read some about the issue at hand, and the venom directed at Triad shows a clear misunderstanding of the way small business works, especially in this industry.

·
Space Monkey
2,315 Posts
Is there a way to shed light on this? I don't really know what is going on, but I have, and will always support Triad! Louie is a great guy, but I think it's Callous who's been behind it all, selling him out! Just kidding buddy. Who are we boycotting? Come on 1/6ers, let's get 'em!!!! :eek:wn

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
I got this in an email from another small 1/6th producer:

'But I can tell you this - I have lost so much money with those thieves in China, you would be able to put a down payment on a house. That is why I made the most recent stuff elsewhere'

Sadly, I know it's true that China is a rip-off paradise. (It's only a matter of time before someone there comes out with a fake Olympics :lol )

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
I like Louie and I feel for him and his company, but I don't know why this comes as a surprise to the masses.

What do you think Very Hot and Saturdays Toys do? I see three pages of "can't wait to get that!" every time Very Hot rips off another Hot Toys set. The fact is, yes, this obviously goes on in China all the time.

I think we should support for ALL 1/6 companies that are being ripped off.

Will you get a "cheaper/more affordable" version of stuff you previously thought too expensive? Yes. But think long term: these companies will either A) have to keep raising prices because they sell less sets due to competing with their own knock-off product that we're buying; or B) they'll just stop making the stuff-- or make is less often-- because it just isn't cost effective.

If I know it's a knock-off, or a stolen mold/pattern, I don't support it. I support the companies that support US-- the collectors.

So, before you buy that vest or weapon or set that you KNOW is just a rip-off from another company, think about the long-term effect of your actions...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Here here!

But, how do I the consumer know who is ripping off whom? Seriously, I'm not making a joke here. I have read on these boards that Very Hot is a knock of of Hot Toys. Now I read in your post that Saturday is the same... I did not know that.

·
Guns, guns and more guns
1,193 Posts
I like Louie and I feel for him and his company, but I don't know why this comes as a surprise to the masses.

What do you think Very Hot and Saturdays Toys do? I see three pages of "can't wait to get that!" every time Very Hot rips off another Hot Toys set. The fact is, yes, this obviously goes on in China all the time.

I think we should support for ALL 1/6 companies that are being ripped off.

Will you get a "cheaper/more affordable" version of stuff you previously thought too expensive? Yes. But think long term: these companies will either A) have to keep raising prices because they sell less sets due to competing with their own knock-off product that we're buying; or B) they'll just stop making the stuff-- or make is less often-- because it just isn't cost effective.

If I know it's a knock-off, or a stolen mold/pattern, I don't support it. I support the companies that support US-- the collectors.

So, before you buy that vest or weapon or set that you KNOW is just a rip-off from another company, think about the long-term effect of your actions...
I agree, but I don't buy knockoffs when there's a chance to get the higher quality item. Like I don't buy ARMY's EBR because I can get the Hot Toys one for relatively the same price or a few bucks more.

The other thing I can think of is Storerooms black SCAR (I remember some big time heated arguments going on with this but I'll be brief) It's essentially a different item than the ACE SCAR that it's ripping off. I don't support the stealing, but I don't see a person buying this piece if it's not taking away the opportunity of ACE's version getting sold. I personally will get both, since they're two different items.

And a third case, which just happened to me recenty, is buying a recasted item that is identical to the item it is being bootlegged from. The Zacca M32 MGL was one of my most sought after items after seeing it previewed, and knowing that it was SUPER rare and that even etailers were being shady in selling a legit piece (tampering with the blind boxes to avoid giving it to customers who've ordered a set), I had to go this route. Does it hurt Zacca? Probably. But if I could get a legit Zacca piece, I'd go for that instead of this one. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

I support Triad because their stuff is quality. If and when they come out with that body, I'll be sure to pick up a couple instead of SS. The only thing that will tempt me otherwise is if the bootlegger's quality matches or exceeds the companie's product's they're ripping off. Then it becomes a case of 'They're both the same quality, but one is 10 bucks cheaper'.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am sorry but, I beleive this is a travesty and something needs to be done about it.
Lawsuits will come. I am a big follower of Hot Toys, Medicom , Takara and Sideshow.
I am not familiar with Triad but, could say that they would be my next purchase. Remember this all of you imposters..us collectors will not stand for this!!! Value is not how cheap we can buy a relica but, that of original and its maker. Hopefully Triad will
make it through and live on to become bigger and greater!!!! My prayers are with you!!

Regards to Triad,

Echo 7 a/k/a Winged Avenger

·
Divine Intervention!
3,026 Posts
One misconception about Very Hot (VH) on Hot Toys (HT) is that VH releases knock offs of HT way after HT had released its (original) version. And VH mostly copy their exclusive show figures that'll gonna hurt secondary market value of the copied figure(eBay?), but HT had already made their tidy sum earlier. Unless for all you know, HT secretly hold a stockpile of such figures and start selling them with pseudo eBay seller names for gaining more $$ that way. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is very wrong, just a way & method ppl are doing business. You dun like the price, dun buy. Its all fair and square.
Many collectors outside of these countries that hold big toy shows (namely the US and Japan) are not able to get these so called exclusive figures in a decent price without paying through the nose for one at eBay. Once again, dun like the price, dun buy. But desperate enough to splash, buy and grumble a little later LOL!

VH, as most of you already know, does not make gear as exquisite as HT... in fact, they are miles away in terms of quality. Collector's eyes are bright, they know what they want and will pay a little more for a much better quality HT products. And collectors comes in many categories, the out-of-the-box-display-collectors (A), the casual kitbash collectors (B), the customising collectors (C). Type A I would reckon constituted at least 75% of the community. Type B perhaps another 20% and Type C, 5%. If you are Type A, you wouldn't even think of VH's stuffs cos they are rough, fragile and lack in details. Type B perhaps only interested in a certain gear from a set thus no box set buy from them. Type C wudn't mind cos they want as many gear as possible for their customising needs. Rough, inaccuracies, fragile can all be rectify with a little work put in. So looking at this, VH probably kills of about 10% of overall HT's book of business in the military department. Not very hurting to HT imo but in a business pov, losing 1% or losing 100% are still consider losing. So there you go. Hong Kong businessmen are shrewd and resourceful... that is why you are seeing HT branching out to more movie based characters and other non-1:6 genre collectibles. Movie based figures are licensed product. Hence VH will not risk its neck to make such. Nevertheless, there is no sign HT is slowing down in putting out military figures. This shows clearly how insignificant damage VH is doing to HT in its military line.

Disclaimer - And what is written is purely my own opinion. I am not about wanting to make anyone here agree with what I say. I respect your views and find some truth in everything you guys written.
That said, I am not condoning unethical act like what VH does to HT and ACE (dun forget they copy ACE's black CQB too!). But just want to put down some analysist and another POV for reference. I'm a self proclaim Type C guy so I welcome any stuffs that are out there that have a price I can agree about paying with.

So all I want to say is 1 thing lead to another... it can go for the worse, or it can make a company stronger.
Company like Triad may felt the full force of such unethical China manufacturers cos they are small and resource tight. I fully feel for them as I really do like their products too. I bought 2 sets of their Ninja suits previously and I have nothing but good things to say about their service and item's workmanship. Hope they pull through this one (though I dun really know what is going on... pardon me :p) and also take this opportunity to review more seriously such risk management. I'm very sure this ordeal can only make them stronger!

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
What has Saturday Toys ripped off? I'll admit they put out stuff similar to other manufacturers, so at most you could say they stole ideas, but then again all of the big manufacturers do the same, dirty politics.

Its kind of sucky this had to happen.

I feel bad for Callous, seeing his handiwork twisted away like this after he put so much careful work into the sculpts, and Louie for his investment into it and his goals.
I really wish this hadn't turned so ugly; I like SS, aside from the slightly altered BBi copied body, [does anyone know if BBi raised litigation on this?] they've made some really cool stuff that no one else has, and tried to forge their own way through the market. A real shame...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.