One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the SouthEast side of Indy, I'm a newbie to OSW and want to meet others like-minded. Either here in Indy or close by. As a USN vet I have the idea of making a 1/6 scale PT boat. I am currently working on the plans and the logistics. It can be done! I am more of a vehicle type modeler than the figure creator. So am I in the right area to discuss this project?
Barry

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hello Pt105, Welcome to this site where there are many like-minded people here, you can be sure. You are definitely in the right area and I am confident that many of the people on here with incredible talent will enjoy seeing and hearing of such a project. I know I would.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Even in 1/6th you are looking at a beast of a thing. It will be the size of a row boat and need a trailer. Sparky and I gave this serious consideration once – it did not get past a string laid out on the ground and dreams. I’d suggest looking at stitch and glue plywood construction methods—Chesapeake Light Craft is a maker of kayaks and small boats with this method and have videos on You Tube to get an idea of what is involved.
I built the deck house, cockpit, 50 cal turret and mast section for photo shoots—even that took a lot or real estate.
Good luck keep us appraised of your progress.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the interest, SSGStank you will be on the A list for the progress photos. Still in the planning stages and working on the build site. Jon Math, way ahead of you on the size issue. I have purchased a bell hull 14' boat.
The main issue I have is the weather as I will be working on the boat outside in the open. I am tackling the project in the same way as US ship builders did in WWII. Sections of the boat will be worked on inside the house during inclaimate weather, but it is summer! and I can do almost all of it outside in the open. I have the storage space. Again way ahead of you on the construction or we are of the same thoughts. Already I am planning on the suggestions you mentioned. Just the Chesapeake Light Craft, the maker of kayaks and small boats is a great idea, thanks! Do you still have the items you made for the photo shoot and are they for sale? I would use them as guides for my build. A cross reference to my research. Back to the Ward room and the research I'm on duty!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome, PT309USN! I think your project is a terrific idea, as I have never seen a 1/6 PT boat done before. BTW, Hasbro put out a 1/6 PT boat commander circa 1999, which is fairly well done and pretty easy to come by via ebay. (I have one myself and am happy with it- especially since there is precious little WWII US Navy figures in 1/6 out there.)

At any rate, I wish you much luck with your project and please post pics of your final product when completed!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well most of the work on PT105 is still on the drawing board. Layout of all the needs on paper is a must. Knowing the history of the 105 is paramount!
I have that Hasbro PT commander and he is representing LT. Dick Keresey the skipper of the 105. Reading the book of the 105 written by Keresey.
Surprising the book gives much info on the boat, more than an official history. Some of the finer details I can use come from the book and building
a much smaller scale model. Now I just have to figure out how to post the future project photos here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to thank you djamesi for you response! I love adding names to my "A" list to be the first receivers of photos.
I have gone ahead and purchased the Italian model of a PT in 1/35 scale. I also have the math equation for the conversion to 1/6.
So having the 1/35 scale model and the instructions, along with the math conversion helps in getting this project well under way!
Attention on deck! all hands muster to the construction platform.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey Barry,

We're in Cincinnati - you should come over for a meeting some time (first Wednesday of the month, every month):

SSCC Ohio - HOME

Sixth Scale Collectors Club - Home | Facebook

Next club meeting is Wednesday, August 7th, 2019. More info on the club website or Facebook page.

Also, we'll be in Louisville this weekend (Saturday, July 20th, 2019) at the Sixth Annual Kentuckiana GI Joe Toy Expo:

Kentuckiana GI Joe Toy Expo - Home

We'll have a booth, stop by and say hi!

Hope to see you at the show or even better, at one of our meetings!

Best of luck with the PT boat project!

Fred

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fred thanks for the invite! I will be at the Louisville show, hopefully.
Like to see what Ya'll have at the show. I will be bringing some of the photos I have,
and of course looking for stuff to outfit my PT. Advice is always welcome.
Anchors Away!
Barry

·
Registered
949 Posts
Barry,

Sounds good - stop by and say hi to the guys at our table. Tell them you're from Indianapolis and Fred was trying to recruit you on OSW. They'll give you more information on the club and our FIGURECON show next March in Cincinnati. I will not be there because I've four weddings and a funeral that day.

I think you'll have a good chance of finding some US Navy items at the show as well.

Hope that helps!

Fred

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred, sorry I couldn't make it down to Louisville, we had an extreme heat warning out. I could do it! but my van couldn't.
So I stayed home and worked on the drawings for the PT. Up to 8 full 1/6 size drawings, next is the patterns.
Anchors Away!!!
Barry

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Love the project and welcome!! I'll be watching your progress and wish you all the best with it. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, cdn_rhino and Spitfire!
Still working on the drawings, but now I think to start with I am going to build a wooden frame. I will start by using 1/2 by 3/4 inch stock.
Going with the aircraft modelers design style and thinking about the new plastic stretch material over the frame.
When I get started I will take photos as I go along. No surprise! IT's BIG!
Anchors Away!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I have gone beyond just drawings and have gotten into the basic frame construction of the cockpit area.
When I get an answer back on how to post photos here, I can show what I have done.
Between working on the cockpit, I have been working on some of the other details like the turrets for the
twin 50's. The mounting cradle for them was an interesting to make, along with the details of the way
ammo feeds into the 50's. Once again I have photos!
Still a lot more work, and just on the turrets!
Anchors Away!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Best solution to post photos here (or what I use at the moment)
Register for free in imgur and upload your photos there, then you can link them into your posts here very easily and before submitting the message always check all the links are working using the editor's preview function. HTH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Grunt, but I am not this computer site lit. When you say imgur and even the uploading of the photos your speaking a foreign launage to me.
I can follow step by step instructions. So I really need help!
I finished my turrent tubs, both forward starboard and aft port side. Now I am scratch building the Mk4 20mm guns. I just found a part of the twin 50's mountings, so I will have to modifiy what I have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts