One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion on this? I've been thinking of abandoning 1/6 figures in in lieu of 1/12 due to lack of space, as my 1/6 figures are quickly taking over my only available (small) space. Bought a 1/12 Vampirella, but I'm just kind of blah about her. She seems very detailed but for some reason it's just not the same. Plus lack of decent clothing options. Maybe it's my failing eyesight, idk...:rolleyes:
Leg Toy Thigh Fashion design Chest

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I was going to say they probably don't take up much room but finding gear might be hard
Actually 1/12 gear per se isn't necessarily a huge problem, depending on what you need. The full multiplicity of military weapons doesn't really exist in 1/12, but for real life items as well as pop culture items, or furniture, you can draw upon Mezcos and other 1/12s, plus all the accessories of 6" figures, plus most accessories of 7" figures are close enough. Additionally there is a huge resource from the doll world of vintage and current furniture and everyday items. The big problem is 1/12 clothing -- even Mezcos etc don't make their 1/12 clothing removable.

This thread may interest you: Is 1:12 the new 1:6? I'm reviewing what I said 2 years ago, and I think basically it still applies:

I think in past times the deck was stacked a lot towards 1/6 because of the high premium, super-posable, multi-material, Hot Toys, Enterbay etc figures that existed only in 1/6 -- with most of 1/12 confined to solid plastic figures, Marvel Legends etc. and nothing comparable. Over the last @ 18 months or so we've seen 1/12 really throw down the gauntlet to challenge 1/6 -- knowing 1/12 has inherent advantages for building diorama spaces, squad building, getting vehicles, etc. -- and really raising the bar on other aspects of the 1/12 figures taking what's available in 1/6 now as the model to emulate. This includes 1/6 type multi-fabric texture outfits, much improved 1/12 head sculpts (with the added bonus of 2 or 3 per fig), and other aspects emulating what used to be exclusively 1/6. This was Mezco One:12, Coo Models, others.

Things really kicked up a further notch body-wise when TBL and others contributed 1/12 silicone seamless bodies like the above-captioned Captain Sparta.

Certain issues remain where 1/12 can't match 1/6 right now and possibly never can. Then again, 15 years ago I'd never have believed Hot Toys could accomplish the sculpt quality that it did. Three areas where 1/12 can't match 1/6 now (or possibly ever) are (1) full detail of head sculpts, (2) detail quality of most accessories, and (3) customizability. The latter is because few if any 1/12 outfits that may look good are actually removable like most 1/6 are. Then again there are plenty of 1/6 outfits that aren't safely removable either. The (4th) qualifier is that the 1/6 world has achieved such an amazing inventory of just about everything existing in a 1/6 version, and 1/12 is nowhere close (except maybe just in the narrow field of Victorian dollhouse furniture).

Advantages and disadvantages to both scales, and 1/6 is my true love, but it is 1/12 that has shown the most evident recent self-challenges and self-improvement.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
There’s more and more military stuff, and vehicles, environments, backdrops, etc., being made in 1/12 scale — but the detailing is still seriously lacking. I just can’t bring myself to get all that excited for the scale personally. 1/6 takes up a crap ton more space, and it’s hard to build dioramas, etc., due to said space, but the detailing is ten times better, and dealing with accessories is hard enough at 1/6 scale, I don’t have the patience myself to go any smaller. Army building is cheaper in 1/12, but those costs are creeping up all the time, just as they are in 1/6; just a few years ago, you could still find decent 1/6 figures in the $150 range, now the average seems to be $200-250 (not counting the greedy pricks at Hot Toys). Now the average 1/12 is between 80-100, which for that scale is total [email protected]#t.

·
High Speed Recon Mech
733 Posts
"Jaded is so overrated, dare to be happy." I buy what makes me happy. 1/6, 1/12, LEGO, and Godzilla figures.

It's been years since I bought my last 1/6 figure. I have bought several 1/12 figures and LEGO stuff. I have bought some of the largest LEGO vehicles ( Batmobiles ) to use with 1/12 figures.

I have just about all the 1/6 soldiers I think I will ever want. Dropping over $300 on a 1/6 figure that might well rot in the box or fall apart out of it in a year or so doesn't strike me as money well spent.

Yes, 1/12 and LEGO prices have been going up, but so has the quality, detail, and dare I say it, fun. So many 1/12 figures come with a ton of accessories and effects, same with some of the larger LEGO vehicle sets, you don't really have to hunt for extra items to use with them.

1/12 figures cover so many types of figures, including new figures that are free of the "me too, look, I make 1000's of Iron Man figures", that let you create new stories all of your own choosing.

I used to shoot 1000's of photos of 1/6 stuff, now I find it easier to shoot the smaller stuff, and with great results. I do admit that shooting LEGO and MIni Mate types of figures are the hardest to make look anything close to "real", but even with their inherent limitations, they can still make interesting stylisted "realities". Many new boards focused on shooting toys, many with over 10,000 members and growing, are showing how the small scales are having a big impact.

Here is a little cache of photos of the smaller scale stuff I have been playing with for my own amusement, like or hate as you will. While it's not the same kind of fun I had for decades with the 1/6 stuff, it is what makes me happy now for different reasons. Might want to think that over slowly for yourselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Jaded is so overrated, dare to be happy." I buy what makes me happy. 1/6, 1/12, LEGO, and Godzilla figures.

It's been years since I bought my last 1/6 figure. I have bought several 1/12 figures and LEGO stuff. I have bought some of the largest LEGO vehicles ( Batmobiles ) to use with 1/12 figures.

I have just about all the 1/6 soldiers I think I will ever want. Dropping over $300 on a 1/6 figure that might well rot in the box or fall apart out of it in a year or so doesn't strike me as money well spent.

Yes, 1/12 and LEGO prices have been going up, but so has the quality, detail, and dare I say it, fun. So many 1/12 figures come with a ton of accessories and effects, same with some of the larger LEGO vehicle sets, you don't really have to hunt for extra items to use with them.

1/12 figures cover so many types of figures, including new figures that are free of the "me too, look, I make 1000's of Iron Man figures", that let you create new stories all of your own choosing.

I used to shoot 1000's of photos of 1/6 stuff, now I find it easier to shoot the smaller stuff, and with great results. I do admit that shooting LEGO and MIni Mate types of figures are the hardest to make look anything close to "real", but even with their inherent limitations, they can still make interesting stylisted "realities". Many new boards focused on shooting toys, many with over 10,000 members and growing, are showing how the small scales are having a big impact.

Here is a little cache of photos of the smaller scale stuff I have been playing with for my own amusement, like or hate as you will. While it's not the same kind of fun I had for decades with the 1/6 stuff, it is what makes me happy now for different reasons. Might want to think that over slowly for yourselves.

Very nice collection and pics. I do notice the difference in the large variety and low cost of 1/12 accessories and furniture, whereas anything 1/6 seems like a much bigger hit to the pocketbook, but the prices of 1/12 items and the huge inventory on Aliexpress is mind boggling. $3.00 and free postage on a 1/12 couch in comparison to $40.00 and up for the same type of couch in 1/6, makes me really think...

·
Registered
Marvel, DC and miscellaneous film franchises.
22 Posts
Mmmn personally I like the weight and the dimensions of the 1/6 scale stuff over 1/12, gotta say that a 1/12 would feel a lot more like a kid's toy to me. I also think it's a lot harder to build a 'wardrobe' for 1/12, like others have observed. IDK I'm just starting out in this hobby but I think I'll reserve the smaller scale stuff for maquettes and focus my attention on 1/6 scale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts