One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Call me Jodie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my second attempt of a product prototype related to genre of scifi, Mecha & Droid, and things. I call this project as the Light Armored Multi-Purpose Droid: Raptor 01, by J.Droid Industries. It's in the process of rapid prototyping or 3D printing.

It has total 158 parts with approximately 46 cm tall. Unlike the previous project (Mecha Troop 1) which used ball joints, this one has a lot more complex parts with real moving hydraulic pump, hinges for the joints, and articulated claw/fingers, folding gun, folding keyboard for programming and designed with lighting feature on the shoulders. So here are the pre-production process that I have taken so far. There are 2 slots for machine/laser gun placed on the shoulders as well. And wish me the best of luck on this project.

So far these are the preview that were made in the digital process, the actual prototype might differ from the originals. Enjoy and please let me know what think about it. Cheers!

Jodie

·
Registered
913 Posts
Really like the design on this mech but I feel like it needs a bit more articulation. There's an incredible amount of detail in this piece so I know it sounds like I'm asking too much but does it have ball jointed hips and ankles that can be tilted to either side to support a wide stance? Is there any articulation in the torso? Also it would be nice to see the cross section design work in the arms and legs cut all the way through. It would also be nice to see the top hatch open to access some kind of engine or computer. If it sounds like I'm nit picking I'm sorry I just see a ton of potential in this piece both in 1/6 scale and in smaller scales.
If this piece will be printed out how strong will the material it's printed out in be?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Really like the design on this mech but I feel like it needs a bit more articulation. There's an incredible amount of detail in this piece so I know it sounds like I'm asking too much but does it have ball jointed hips and ankles that can be tilted to either side to support a wide stance? Is there any articulation in the torso? Also it would be nice to see the cross section design work in the arms and legs cut all the way through. It would also be nice to see the top hatch open to access some kind of engine or computer. If it sounds like I'm nit picking I'm sorry I just see a ton of potential in this piece both in 1/6 scale and in smaller scales.
If this piece will be printed out how strong will the material it's printed out in be?
I don't mean to echo this but it's so easy to add ball joints to your work.... I would tend to agree articulation is the difference between a yay or nay for buyers like me.

·
Call me Jodie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the suggestions, Callous. You are right. It has a lot of potentials to be developed. But I still need to analyze the first prototype and to seek the future possibility regarding the production cost as well. The 3D printing weight estimation of this mech will be around 1,4 kg, excluding batteries and LED light, which is already heavy for a prototype. The thickness is filled with constructed grid of ABS, it's not completely solid. But the object will be quite fragile. The copy prototype will be much heavier and much stronger than the printed one, because it will be filled with solid Polyurethane resin, and batteries/LED light will be also added later on. I'm guessing the whole weight will be around 3-3,5 kg.

The articulation is limited to hinges rather ball joints, because I need to expand it to real working mechanism in the future. Ball joints are limited for toys. I'm aiming for real research of combining cool robot designs with real working robotic toy like AIBO or Bioloid. But that is just personal goal. :think

And to all those considerations, how much the production cost will be? I'm not going to mass produce this project. It will be just very limited pieces. Why? It is to avoid piracy and fake copies. I hope it explains for a bit.

·
Call me Jodie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't mean to echo this but it's so easy to add ball joints to your work.... I would tend to agree articulation is the difference between a yay or nay for buyers like me.
Thank you, vapor 1. I wrote my explanation on why I didn't put ball joints to this mech project on my previous comment. :)

·
DO NOT READ THIS SENTENCE
2,235 Posts
Bit of a District 9 vibe about it, pretty cool :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Very cool, very impressive..

·
Registered
7,944 Posts

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,081 Posts
That is exactly what I was thinking too. A bit smaller though.

Does the figure ride/drive the mech?

Impressive under taking, best of luck.
I can't but help think of another articulated droid I'd love to see realized in 1/6:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/amee-robot-3d-model/243372

Could you pull her off?
My colonial marines could use another party member.
That is really cool. I could see that battling Alien warriors.

·
Call me Jodie
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool, very impressive..
Great renders!

Hope to see this outputted to an actual prototype! :bravo
Thank you, guys. Ha ha ha, you read my mind. Yes, I was heavily influenced by District 9 Mech. Weta concepts of industrial mechs are basically quite possible to be built.

Impressive under taking, best of luck.
I can't but help think of another articulated droid I'd love to see realized in 1/6:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/amee-robot-3d-model/243372

Could you pull her off?
My colonial marines could use another party member.
Thank you. Nice reference, Spartan Rex. Correction on my previous statement about the rotating axis, it is X & Z axis, not X and Y. Yes, next big project will be a 4 legged droid. But it will be my own design. :)

That is exactly what I was thinking too. A bit smaller though.

Does the figure ride/drive the mech?

That is really cool. I could see that battling Alien warriors.
No, it's just an unmanned mech. I did try to make a mech with a cockpit for 1/6 figure pilot, but then the size turned to be extremely huge. Not sure if it will be affordable for buyers or not.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Very cool! Love the Iron Cross face plate! Are these actually getting printed or are you just exercising your design skills?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts