One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began this figure over a year ago and posted a version of him at OSS as a work in progress.
The Cameronians, hailing from the nearby town of Hamilton are the closest thing I have to a local regiment along with the Royal Highland Fusiliers who are affiliated with the city of Glasgow.

The Cameronians were a unique part of Scottish history for over three hundred years. Their origins lie in the turbulent period of religious and political strife of the 1680's. Their end came with the defence cuts of the 1960's; their name finally erased from the Army List in 1995.
The original Cameronians were zealous Covenanters. Their devotion to the National Covenant (1638) and the Solemn League and Covenant (1643) meant that they would even do battle to defend their freedom to worship as they chose. Their heartland was in south west Scotland, in Galloway, Ayrshire, and in Clydesdale in particular.
The Regiment was formed in one day, 14 May 1689, 'without beat of drum'. They mustered on the holm, on the banks of the Douglas Water in South Lanarkshire. Their first Commanding Officer was William Cleland whilst their Colonel was the 19 year old Earl of Angus, son of the Marquis of Douglas. The Earl's magnificent statue overlooks the spot in Douglas to this day.
The Regiment took its name from Richard Cameron, 'The Lion of The Covenant'. Originally a field preacher he was killed, a bounty on his head, at the battle of Airds Moss in 1680.
Within weeks of their formation The Cameronians saw action as regular soldiers at the Battle of Dunkeld. There they showed their mettle with a staunch defence against a hugely superior number of rebel Highland troops, though it cost the life of the 28 year old Cleland. This fighting spirit was carried on in campaigns all over the world for the next 300 years. From 1750 they, like all of the regiments of the line, were given a number and were thereafter known as the 26th Regiment of Foot, The Cameronians.
To counter the threat of the rise of Napoleon the government authorised the raising of a number of new regiments. Amongst them were the 90th (Perthshire Light Infantry) as well as the 91st (The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders) and the 92nd (The Gordon Highlanders). In 1881 the 90th were brought together with the 26th of Foot to form what was to become The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).
The creation of the new regiment, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), was as a result of reforms to the whole structure of the army. It was decided that all line regiments should consist of two regular battalions, one to serve at home whilst the other served abroad, usually in India. Both battalions gave up their standard red coats and adopted the rifle green with black buttons traditional for elite rifle regiments.
Both battalions then served in South Africa and in India as well as at home. In World War I there were 27 battalions. Over 7,000 Cameronians lost their lives and a memorial in Kelvingrove, Glasgow, commemorates this.

Private, Cameronians. 1870s. Based on a Mike Chappell illustration and on illustrations from several books on Victorian era uniforms.

1860s shako is scratchbuilt. Incredible shako plate with '26' cipher came courtesy of Tony Barton. Jacket is hand tailored. Trousers and boots come from the Dragon Sgt. Jones figure.

Figure is the Sideshow WW1 U.S. Marine with added 'tache and repainted face and hands.

1870 Valise equipment is scratchbuilt. I used a combination of buckles from Armorpax and Rio Rondo. Leather was from Rio Rondo and Littletrimmings. His equipment is the later issue as the first issue had black ammo pouches. Belt buckle is from Tony. I replaced the original regimental cipher with a spare '26 from the shako plates.

His haversack is a converted WW1 French model. I replaced the sling with the correct type used at this time and gave the flap a working button. Bayonet frog is handmade. Bayonet comes from one of the DiD Napoleonic figures. It should be a bit longer for this era

I replaced the vinyl water bottle carriage that comes with Sgt. Jones with a leather one.

His equipment in this configuration consists of a rolled greatcoat, Glengarry and mess tin. The valise was originally part of this figure's kit but I dropped it for a bit more simplicity.
The Glengarry is one of Banjoman's (OSS) great pieces, the cap badge is from Tony again.
The Cameronians cap badge consists of the Douglas star (they wear the Douglas tartan), above a stringed bugle, denoting their Light Infantry role surrounded by laurel leaves.
The mess tin is again one of Tony's models. Cover is scratchbuilt. The expense pouch is handmade.

His pouches each carry two packs of rounds for his Martini-Henry rifle. I made these from Milliput, wrapped them in greaseproof paper and bound them with thick thread. I replaced the webbing-type sling that comes with the rifle with a soft leather version. As the leather is very thin it hangs quite nicely.

Here's a closeup of Tony's shako plate. He also made the collar dogs. Can't thank Tony enough for his little works of art. I certainly wouldn't be able to do the figures I do without them.

Hope you like him. Apologies for the extended history lesson and pics but I thought as he's been a year in the making, he deserved his moment in the spotlight. I forgot to say that all the info on the Cameronians comes from the regimental website.

"Huzzah"

All comments are welcome.

Andy

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's yet another spectacular example of your attention to detail.

The backstory, result of your work, and overall presentation are all top-notch.

Superb.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Anytime O see the contributor as Artyandy I know it is a must see. Your work and Tony's are inspirational! Thank you for sharing it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Andy, I always enjoy gazing upon the wonderfulness of your work. You really are one of the top artisans in this hobby. Always unique subjects, executed with tremendous attention to detail.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Beautifully done, Andy. No need for apologies, you're justifiably proud. As a matter of fact, would it be too much to ask for a pic of him wearing the Glengarry?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are all too kind. I'm flattered by your comments.
Mac and Knifesix: You made me blush
PD: I had the Glengarry perched on his head, posed nicely, then the batteries in my camera died. I'll sort a pic or two out for you as soon as I can.

Cheers again folks
Andy

·
Proactive Procrastinator
1,330 Posts
As Gravy said your patience and attention to detail are enviable!!! That is amazing work from head to toe!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts