One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have my ranger decked out in cocorron jump boots,while not common it did happen,but im wondering if anyone has seen a ranger from this era with a folding stock m-1 carbine,the one that was so popular with the airbourne units,thanks for your thoughts:hat

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Were WW2 Ranger units airborne qualified? I have a feeling they weren't - if so, they wouldn't be issued the folding stock carbine. However, given the nature of US soldiers I think it's quite likely that some trading may have occurred if they were in the vicinity of an airborne unit at some time...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what got me wondering was the use of airborne coccorons by rangers and other assorted units. i started wondering if any of these guys were actually issued the m1-a1 besides just paratroopers, after googling and pic hunting,for at least an hour,i still found no real answer. i thinking im just gonna do it anyways

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
The WW2 Ranger re-enactor's prohibit the carrying of the paratrooper carbine. Usually, re-enactors are pretty hard-core concerning faithfulness to accuracy. If your Ranger had a folding-stock carbine, he likely would have acquired it in some "unauthorised" way. The paratrooper carbine seems to have been issued to airborne and special-ops types (who were often airborne-qual'd), like the the SAS guys running around Europe, raising hell.

·
Inspector 12
3,419 Posts
The 2nd and 5th Ranger Battalions were issued Corcoran Jump Boots prior to the Normandy landings. Many of them opted to wear their regular service shoes and leggings and put their new prizes in their packs for use later.

The folding stock M1A1 carbine was designed for and used almost exclusively by Airborne units. The shorter the weapon, the easier it was to carry into a combat jump.

However, in terms of "what could have happened," we all know that in a war zone soldiers are great scavengers and a Ranger or two could have picked up an M1A1 Carbine. They weren't issued to them, but Airborne troopers scavenged BARs to use in Normandy and Market Garden. Of course Airborne troopers at Normandy initially used just about anything they could find to fight with... KAR 98s, MP40s, sticks, rocks... because many had their weapons and other gear stripped away in leg bags and Grisowld bags during the high air speed jumps.

So, it was not impossible, but highly unlikely that a Ranger would have used a folding stock carbine... just like you might have seen one with a German pistol, rifle or SMG if they found and needed one.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
First off the nature of the US Army was quit different when it came to special tactical units. Airborne organizations were considered commando type units the same as Rangers. Back then the difference was more through how they were deployed in to the area of operational (AO). Airborne unit tended to be task organized by Battalion or Regiments size Combat Teams the same as Rangers and had a smaller organizational structure then a standard W2 US Army Infantry unit of the same tittle (Company [Co], Battalion [Bn], Regiment/Brigade [RGT/BDE], Division [Div]).

As far as M1942 Parachutist Boots (Made by Corcoran® and Goodyear) or "Boots, Jumper, Parachute" they were primary used by Airborne troops and was a distinctively integral part of their combat uniform until 1944 ("Boots, Jumper, Parachute' as part of the Class "A" uniform is another issue). After then, the US Army standardized the combat uniform with the M1943 configuration that included the M1943 Buckle boot replacing the M1942 "Boots, Jumper, Parachute". One must remember that the M1923 Leggings was a much hated item among US Soldiers. Rangers were know to even cut their leggings to make them shorter for easy of getting in and out of them. So, getting a pair of "Boots, Jumper, Parachute" was desired by many a soldier not just Rangers. That being said, having your Ranger figure in "Boots, Jumper, Parachute" would not be wrong except that after 1944 he would most likely had been issued the M1943 Buckle Boot. This was a welcome change for most US Army soldiers except Airborne personnel.

As far as the M1A1 Carbine, with a Folding Stock being carried by a Ranger. My answer would be yes. While not on their Table of Organization and Equipment (TOE) for 1943-1945, finding one on the battle field would not be that hard. You would not even get a lot of stuff for having one. When you look at soldier in the field/combat, it is all about comfort and what works for you within guidelines (can't be to crazy). Guys slept with their weapons and it was with inspections would the guy even have to worry about it.

·
1:6 puppy
985 Posts
the term 'airborne ranger' is a post war title.in WW2 you could be airborne or a ranger...not both.weather or not some individuals 'drifted' between units is open to much speculation.jump boots were considered almost a kind of currency.they were highly prized by regular 'legs',but god help any 'leg' caught wearing them by a paratrooper...even if it was legitimately 'bartered'.bill mauldin had a pair sent to him by a airborne fan.as for the folding stock carbine...these were intended for airborne artillary units originally...even airborne infantry had to barter and sometimes beg for them(the carbine wasnt even ment for frontline use).but i just saw a picture in a book about the carbine showing its use by a pacific marine(the folding stock version that is).they were also issued to the air commandos in burma..they got theirs in early 44(again..the folding stock version).they also were issued jump boots and paratroopers uniforms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts