One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's always some interest in this year's crop of Power Team / World Peacekeepers M & C Toys. Others will be more able than I to comment on the shelf ebb and flow since I'm not even in the same country as a Big Lots, but this is what I saw on the weekend. I didn't buy any because I had just filled up at the nearby Ollie's with BBI Wild Adventures (the hunter guys that used to be at Target online) for $5.99.

All heads and all gear are reissues I believe. Judging by this selection and the box back, M&C's admirable Diversity may be down a bit: no afro-American nor distinctly Hispanic heads this year, and one Asian but not one of their best. It's hard to tell though because each persona gets a couple of sculpt options (as you can see below) and there may be some out of stock. One good news is that the Navy Seal SO has ungloved hands. So this year there's one retail $13 body suitable out of the box for general use without a hand swap which kind of defeats the purpose.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
That SR25 looking rifle looks like new mold!

Thanks for sharing!
I think the Desert Sniper is the only new figure out of the whole lot. I haven't bought anything from PTE in quite awhile because in recent years they've just been rereleasing old figures with new heads. If this is the extent of this years releases, then it looks like I won't be buying anything this time as well. They were fairly innovative at one time but not anymore. The bodies aren't so bad but IMO, most of the head sculpts leave a lot to be desired (huge eyes, sometimes weird facial expressions, dull paint jobs, etc.) and I can get a good base body (sans head) for the same or less that the retail price for PTE figures. I don't really expect a lot for a sub $15 figure but as my figure interests have matured, I no longer find them to be as interesting or as good of a value as I once did.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
IMHO . . .

The only one worth buying multiples of is the African American figure in the ACU camo. The ACU camo is quite good.

I usually pick up as many as I can of the ACU camo figure when BIG LOTS hold a 20% off sale or a special sale for BIG LOTS REWARDS members.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I value them for 2 reasons. First they’re my go-to body for “back row” figures or crowd scenes. That’s kind of run its course probably because I’ve got enough of them.

Artistically I respectfully disagree with some comments above. I think there's something distinctive in their sculpts. They don’t have the standard “Tom Cruise” hero look of GI Joes etc, and they don’t look like celebrities, nor caricatures. They seem like casual, natural, varied real people – which is rare. Admittedly there are limits to how well anything can be executed in a <$13 retail figure.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts

I value them for 2 reasons. First they're my go-to body for "back row" figures or crowd scenes. That's kind of run its course probably because I've got enough of them.

Artistically I respectfully disagree with some comments above. I think there's something distinctive in their sculpts. They don't have the standard "Tom Cruise" hero look of GI Joes etc, and they don't look like celebrities, nor caricatures. They seem like casual, natural, varied real people - which is rare. Admittedly there are limits to how well anything can be executed in a <$13 retail figure.
i'm with you on that. i have the asian sniper bashed as a us CIA operative. he still needs patches, and some other goodies like a pistol and a knife...but he practically comes ready with the nice high quality jeans and t shirt. they are bbi/dragon level if not better, and those cheap oakleys are decent. he does come with a hat which i dont like, and a camelback which is hard rubber. and his sculpt is decemt enough...except his eyes need work. i have a pte blonde thats better than he is, so much so he's even better than dragon/BBI. as for the figures above...only two look to be worth it. the new version of the sniper merc, and the new blonde seal. i wanted the dark haired seal, but he just doesn't cut it imo. he looks like a bad Kevin Spacey.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts

I value them for 2 reasons. First they're my go-to body for "back row" figures or crowd scenes. That's kind of run its course probably because I've got enough of them.

Artistically I respectfully disagree with some comments above. I think there's something distinctive in their sculpts. They don't have the standard "Tom Cruise" hero look of GI Joes etc, and they don't look like celebrities, nor caricatures. They seem like casual, natural, varied real people - which is rare. Admittedly there are limits to how well anything can be executed in a <$13 retail figure.
To each their own, I suppose. It's not that the heads are really bad (some are actually well sculpted), but I have a few with odd facial expressions or features and I see the same with some of the ones pictured above (especially the V1 SEAL). I actually have seen some very nice figures with repainted PTE sculpts. My biggest complaint by far, is the size of the eyes, unless you cover them with sunglasses, many of them are huge and really seem to "pop" when you look at them. Also, while the paint isn't that bad, on many of them, it's kind of monochrome looking and the painting of hair is a bit off, especially the bright yellow of the blondes. It's better than the green that Dragon used for blonde sculpts but it's much too yellow, where it should be a bit more sand colored. I can actually see the use for them for background figures, but my collection isn't so large that I have a need for squads or anything like that. Anyway, considering that some of them do come with nice uniforms and a few bits of well detailed gear, there is definitely value there for those that can fit them into their collection.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To each their own, I suppose. It's not that the heads are really bad (some are actually well sculpted), but I have a few with odd facial expressions or features and I see the same with some of the ones pictured above (especially the V1 SEAL). I actually have seen some very nice figures with repainted PTE sculpts. My biggest complaint by far, is the size of the eyes, unless you cover them with sunglasses, many of them are huge and really seem to "pop" when you look at them. Also, while the paint isn't that bad, on many of them, it's kind of monochrome looking and the painting of hair is a bit off, especially the bright yellow of the blondes. It's better than the green that Dragon used for blonde sculpts but it's much too yellow, where it should be a bit more sand colored. I can actually see the use for them for background figures, but my collection isn't so large that I have a need for squads or anything like that. Anyway, considering that some of them do come with nice uniforms and a few bits of well detailed gear, there is definitely value there for those that can fit them into their collection.
I don't disagree with anything you say, you're right on all counts. I'm very fond of the guy that's Ranger V1 above this year -- I used him years ago for a 1940's private eye Sam Spade type who should look like a regular guy and not a movie star. He's still in use.

I wasn't so much recommending these as reporting on their arrival. Because they're seasonal every year with the start of a new lead-up to Christmas people hope they'll reappear. The best part is that they're suitable and available and affordable for actual kids to play with. I've said this before but it's unlikely that any 20 year-old will pay $300 for a HT figure if he wasn't first a 12-year-old playing with something like this. Maybe the hardship of Toys R Us will give these guys an extra boost this year.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fyi the navy seal guy with un-gloved hands has swimmer's booties for feet. Same as last year. I picked one up anyway. Hilariously the head I got kind of looks like Kevin Spacey.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
If I was just starting in the hobby I would be into these. Right now I have what I call too many figures, so these days the only sure buys for me is something in 1/6th related to the Batman universe. Or if TBL decides to do a new seamless body. Other than thar loose parts and accessories kits for me.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Big Lots will have these this year. I've always thought the sculpts with bright yellow hair would be good test subjects for hair repaints. I like most of the sculpts for many of the reasons mentioned above, and they're a very affordable source for uniforms and other clothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts