One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popski's Private Army made their name in North Africa fighting alongside the SAS and the Long Range Desert Group. After Rommel's surrender, they moved to Italy where they continued operating behind enemy lines, raiding, doing recons, blowing stuff up and generally making a nuisance of themselves. In Italy, they operated heavy-armed jeeps. American .30's and .50's had replaced the British Lewis guns so common in Africa and Thompsons and Colt .45 were the preferred small arms. Their jeeps were modified. Besides the added firepower, windshields were removed, smoke generators were mounted, spare tires were moved to the left side, and the right bumper was removed and mounted on the left simply welded to the existing one. A small map holder was added in front of the driver, and the rear bench seat was typically moved to make a three-across seating setup. Jerry cans were everywhere, a rack on the rear held two or three, up to three were carried on the front bumper rack and side cans rode just aft of the front wheels.

This DML jeep kit has most all of the modifications. The storage is typical with a mix of British and American with some captured German and Italian thrown in for good measure. The jeep is painted in a mixed green (not OD nor British Bronze Green but somewhere between the two) to represent a heavily faded and repainted ex-Africa unit. Washes of rust, and oily grim are oil-based, with a good bit of dry brushing and sponge chipping effects. These units did up to three-week operations behind enemy lines, they were well-worn homes for the crews. The figure is dressed in a mix of civilian and military clothing. An American tanker's jacket, 45 and combat knife, British boots, and a sweater that looks suspiciously German. Such was the nature of Popski's men. The rum bottles and tea kettle are wood turnings, the rest of the storage is from various 1/6th manufactures. The Bren bag was given a coat of Blanco to get the green color, it seems bright, but it came right out of a war surplus can of the stuff.
Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Military camouflage Vehicle Military uniform
Combat vehicle Motor vehicle Military camouflage Automotive tire Toy
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Military person
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Squad Military uniform
Vehicle Tank Military camouflage Combat vehicle Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DML offered it in a carded set a long time ago.

Registered
Love the jeep and all the gear, grimy bits, the trooper with his cup, the crazy .50 just plopped in the rear there. Great job! This needs an outdoor shot or diorama setup or something!

Registered
1/6 Action Figures such as: Hot Toys, Art Figures, Enterbay, EdStar, Toys Dao, Dragon Models, etc.
This is amazing! I never seen a 1/6 Jeep packed to the brim like this. Good job!

Reactions: jon math

Registered
I always thought that if I did a real Jeep it would have to be done up like one of these! Those guys were total nuts,to live through the stuff they did,one of the great WW2 stories! You really need to add a couple German gerry cans to the mix,as you said they weren't too particular about what they used!

Registered
Another incredible build! There are too many details to count. Your attention to detail and the bonus of a very cool history lesson makes this a pleasure to view. Thanks for sharing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The .50 in the rear does have a mount that runs right through the floor to the frame of the jeep. The little .30 has a similar mounting. I wonder how much damage welding to the frame and that frame absorbing the recoil of the .50 must have done to the 1/1 vehicles. Pop's jeep had a .50 in place of the .30. From what I have read the .50 was not typically fired while the vehicle was in motion (as seen on the Rat Patrol show) but was used in more of a mobile pillbox type mode with the operator standing alongside the jeep, using it for cover.

Registered
The .50 in the rear does have a mount that runs right through the floor to the frame of the jeep. The little .30 has a similar mounting. I wonder how much damage welding to the frame and that frame absorbing the recoil of the .50 must have done to the 1/1 vehicles. Pop's jeep had a .50 in place of the .30. From what I have read the .50 was not typically fired while the vehicle was in motion (as seen on the Rat Patrol show) but was used in more of a mobile pillbox type mode with the operator standing alongside the jeep, using it for cover.
The .50 Cals on PPA jeeps were often mixed in patrols, so many had .50s front and .30s in the rear and vice-versa. Popski's jeep towards the end of the Italian campaign had a .50 front and rear, the .50s were traded from the USAAF, many had a slotted barrel shroud.
Sleeve Wood Tool Collar Nickel

Sleeve Wood Tool Collar Nickel

The East Coast Armory kit to adapt DML .50s.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts