One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See subject.

A couple of friends I know in the UK chimed in that their first production run PLAY TOY female body have started to show signs of plastic/rubber degradation on the @ $ $, breasts, and neck (i.e. breaking down/splitting).

The first production run bodies came out around October 2013.

The new lighter skin tone just came out.

Anyone else in the forum who acquired the first production noticing any breakdown/degradation of the plastic/rubber on the body?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine shipped to me on Oct 11th. 2 small and 1 medium.

They're all still outwardly fine, though I haven't really used them for anything due to their ridiculous derrieres. I examined a fresh one just now and if I stretch the rubber a bit it definitely does look dry and "crackable". Notificeable micro-fracture lines appear. It's winter here so humidity is low, might be the reason.

Overall a disappointing body even without quality issues, already attributed these bodies to my sunk cost fund. Long ago cancelled my pre-orders on the asian versions.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have had problems with mine as well. Not as bad as in the picture you posted, DFC, but the rubber material around the neck and chest is all cracked on the two I bought. Needless to say, I am not happy. I would much rather have harder plastic than this rubber stuff that breaks down right away. Us old timers went through this with the Hot Toys SDU figures what, 10 years ago? I hope that some of the other companies that are releasing female bodies will use better materials.

·
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine shipped to me on Oct 11th. 2 small and 1 medium.

They're all still outwardly fine, though I haven't really used them for anything due to their ridiculous derrieres. I examined a fresh one just now and if I stretch the rubber a bit it definitely does look dry and "crackable". Notificeable micro-fracture lines appear. It's winter here so humidity is low, might be the reason.

Overall a disappointing body even without quality issues, already attributed these bodies to my sunk cost fund. Long ago cancelled my pre-orders on the asian versions.
I have had problems with mine as well. Not as bad as in the picture you posted, DFC, but the rubber material around the neck and chest is all cracked on the two I bought. Needless to say, I am not happy. I would much rather have harder plastic than this rubber stuff that breaks down right away. Us old timers went through this with the Hot Toys SDU figures what, 10 years ago? I hope that some of the other companies that are releasing female bodies will use better materials.
--

I appreciate both of you chiming in.

I picked up/received a set of the new Asian/lighter skin tone (M & XL) today. I'm working on photos and a review of the Asian ones.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Tentatively, I'd have to post/say the PLAY TOY bodies are a disappointment for 2013 with regards to 1:6 female figure offerings.

·
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is still OK. In the middle of writing review on it actually.
--

I have one (medium size) from the first release where there is breakage/stress on the back of the neck's opening.

:grrr

I'm writing up a review of the new Asian lighter skin tone.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I have only one and although no real break though cracks as of yet, I have seen signs of stress at the neck area and on the side section of the bum.

I too was disappointed with this body, but needed one in hand to see what all the fuss was about.

My original 2.0 Cy girls from 2002 are still alive and kicking with out so much as a blemish, these poor girls might not last the year...:bag

·
Banned
3,778 Posts
See subject.

A couple of friends I know in the UK chimed in that their first production run PLAY TOY female body have started to show signs of plastic/rubber degradation on the @ $ $, breasts, and neck (i.e. breaking down/splitting).

The first production run bodies came out around October 2013.

The new lighter skin tone just came out.

Anyone else in the forum who acquired the first production noticing any breakdown/degradation of the plastic/rubber on the body?
Or just "rough" handling? :lol

Just kidding. Mostly.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I dont hv this kind of body, but I do hv some experience on rubber encrusted body: the condition of rubber has something to do with climate and temperature: Generally rubber is apt to crack in a dry climate and become sticky in a wet climate respectively, actually my rubber encrusted body of Hot toys old military keep intact for years, I always put them in a air con and smoke free room.

But in your case, it looks there is something to do with the original quality.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
This is also interesting, in that a number of male nudes have rubber components (bum and upper torso), Soldier Story being one, especially the improved articulation 2.5 model. This sort of situation leaves us questioning the lifespan of our figures.

I was discussing materials with Dave70b, and we were mulling over the different makers' plastic and rubber compounds used. There seems to be variables among manufacturers and material suppliers. Add to that, the previously mentioned climatic conditions.

Given the prices these days, both materials and component designs (joints, sockets, pins) need to be proven before they're released (but we know that is not always the case). That leaves us taking gambles, and our best response is threads like this, discussing characteristics good and bad,

·
Registered
834 Posts
wow.. it degrades just like my Sheva.. her chest has cracks like that too.. thought it has something to do with my room temperature but man those things do degrades to a disappointing level..

G

·
I have Hot Toys figures with squashy parts that are fine, and posed often. I have Phicens that are posed just as often, and are also fine.

My CM toys males are breaking up, despite being simply stored headless and inactive in a drawer

One of the two playtoys has a large split in the squashy bit at the neck. This happened after a week of owning it. Again, it remained headless in a drawer inactive. Rubber problems, I guess...

and yet I have a Dinky Toys foden truck that is nearly forty five years old and has all eight of its rubber tyres intact, unsheredded and non split...

·
Registered
771 Posts
The last two large busts I purchased, the arms were super loose. Easily remedied by sliding off the boobs/torso and superglueing front and back together then replacing the screws. Problem solved:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts