One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got my Play Toy bodies in from Cotswold Collectibles today and thought I'd do a little review of them. After a four month wait, the Play Toy 2.0 bodies have finally hit stateside but after all the anticipation for the bodies, I don't think they quite measure up to their competitors.

*Censor bars added to keep the review from the adult section of OSW

You can see the packaging below, nothing fancy and no twist ties. The hands are held in by strips of tape, the flat feet aren't held in by anything and have a tendency (at least most of mine did) to fall from the tray and to the bottom of the box, so always check your box if you're missing feet.

I purchased three of the four sizes (small-1x, medium-2x and large-2x) and you can see them displayed below just as they came straight out of the box. The caps on top of the neck joint come off so that various heads can fit the neck.

The joints are all fairly tight (the knees are extremely tight-they squeak loudly when bent and the right arm at the bicep swivel has a noticeable gap) but the neck joint on three out of four of my figures cannot move back or forth nor side to side. I think it's because the joint that sits inside the cup isn't sat deep enough and so the rubber covering restricts most/all movement.

This photo shows just how far the body can move its arms to the side; if you try to move it any further the ball joint pops out of its socket.

These photos show the range of motion for over the head poses, you'll notice the rubber chest piece bunching around the shoulders and clavicle. The second shot shows how far the underbust joint allows the body to lean to the side; utilizing the waist joint doesn't give much more range unfortunately.

Here you can see how far back the torso joint can go and how far forward as well.

The hips have a decent range of motion when you push them back as you can see. They move forward a bit as well.

Here we come to one of my issues with this body, out of the four that I bought; three have what I call double under-boob. When the underbust joint is moved back, the rubber retracts exposing the plastic bust. There are rubber pieces that fit into slats in the plastic bust and are glued down (ala Hot Toys) but Play Toy didn't glue them down so the plastic shows through when you move the torso back. That said, sometimes it's not even when the torso is pulled back that you get double under-boob as you'll see in a few of my photos down the line.

The knee joint on the right leg on all four of my figures is extremely tight and squeaks loudly, the left leg isn't as tight, but squeaks as well (agh, double under-boob!). The legs seem to be made from a softer plastic and as you can see in the photo, when the right knee (only the right) is bent the side of the knee comes away from the joint significantly. I tested all of my figures and it's only the right knee that this happens to.

The figure kneels very well but given the softer plastic used for the legs, the feet, when moved any further back, pop out and on one of my figures the ankle cup is significantly looser so the foot falls out much more easily than on the other three.

The figure sits well and can cross its legs for a more demure position, though you have to be careful that the rubber doesn't bunch up giving the figure a pronounced pouch when it sits.

Finally we come to the one asset that most people have been wondering about. The 2.0 body has a smaller rear as shown. I initially believed that the torso was simply a copied Avenger's Black Widow torso, but I think the rear of the 2.0 is larger than Widow's derrière.

A shot of the front, side and back of the 2.0 body and a back shot alone.

A mention about the hands, the 2.0's come with 4 pairs of hands in various poses and while they look nice, they're of a harder plastic than say Hot Toys hands. The hand pegs are the same as the HT pegs but because the plastic is so rigid I'd be afraid to remove them from the hand socket without heating them up first.

I'd heard from another 2.0 owner that there are no heads that color match and so I went through some of the heads I have to see what matched up best. First up is a KUMIK head and the Flirty Girl Crimson head on the 2.0 bodies.

The KUMIK head doesn't sit well on the body at all, it's not loose per se, but it doesn't seat deeply enough so you'll see a gap when you move the head to the side or up and down.
The Flirty Girl Crimson head sat very nicely and there were no gaps as far as I could tell. I think that when the FG Archer figure comes in, that head will match the 2.0 body well enough.

Next up is a Headplay Black Widow knock-off, Hot Toys Babydoll and the Phicen tan stainless steel head.

Both the Widow and Babydoll heads fit terribly, they were like bobble heads on the neck peg (I made sure to push the heads onto the peg and still no go), which is unfortunate because Babydoll's head matches very well with the 2.0 body.
The Phicen head while not the best color match actually sat really well on the neck peg. It was a good fit, but not too tight.

So that's my review! All in all, I think that since it's kind of a crap shoot on whether you'll get a decent body or a bad body it may be better to search out a different manufacturer's body. I hope that Play Toy will refine the 2.0 and maybe put out a better quality controlled product in the future because as it stands, the 2.0 is more than a little disappointing.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Thanks for this, interesting that some of the same flaws noted in the 1.0 carries over to their 2.0 body. Looks to me like the only thing they really changed is the biceps and making the bum smaller...

any chance you could show a picture showing the back of the figure, all your photos show the front or side?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Very informative review..I sure wont be getting any of these..tks for posting..

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Man, that's a nice review. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the heads up; now I KNOW I won't be getting the "Female Agent", I'll just wait for it to get parted out and grab the HS. Those bodies are horrific. Guess I'll stick with Phicen and Hot Stuff for an aesthetically pleasing female fig.

G

·
Great review peanuts. These don't look like they are much better than the woeful first lot. I guess options are getting limited for those of us that don't like phicens. The new FG bodies are better than these though

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
peanutsinspace:

I've yet to receive my PLAY TOY 2.0 body that I ordered. I ordered the one with the body and the head.

In the previous first two releases, I solved the wobbly neck issue by adjusting the interior neck rod and a connector/separate piece and repositioning it.

I need to take some photos to explain and show what I did. I'll need open up one of my spare PLAY TOY bodies to do that.

My solution thus far resolved the wobbly head/neck issue to a reasonable level.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I for one really appreciate our brothers on this site,that go that extra mile and report back to us via product reviews. I believe we owe them for this and I truly thank them for their service.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
I for one really appreciate our brothers on this site,that go that extra mile and report back to us via product reviews. I believe we owe them for this and I truly thank them for their service.
--

I sometimes feel it is a thankless job, but I believe those who post product reviews do it because they enjoy the hobby and want to share their enjoyment with others to make the hobby better for everyone.

·
Guardian of Hades
1,558 Posts
:dunno Have Play Toy resolved the neck issue from their 1.0 body?

Their 1.0 body had a big problem with getting the head sculpt to tilt back and look straight ahead, instead of constantly looking down at it's own feet.
I have to bend my Play Toy 1.0 body backwards to get the figure to look straight ahead, and that pose does not look natural at all.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Have Play Toy resolved the neck issue from their 1.0 body?
Post #16 explains what one person did...

I believe its the same neck set up, I have the 1st versions and one of these and yes you need to put the neck joint out and then reposition it to get the head to sit straight, worked with both of mine :thumb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts