One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there fellows,

Like the title says, I'm about to tackle an unusual subject and need some guidance.

My project is a kitbash based on Hannah Bohman, a former Canadian model (her professional name was Tiger Sun) who in 2015-16 fought with the Kurdish militia YPG against Daesh.

I think the bash is reasonably doable. Will be using BBI's Rosanna Jones for the headsculpt/body, BBI molded desert boots (female size), and some odds and ends from the spare box, including pouches, harness and an SVD.

Here's a link with several pictures of Ms. Bonham: Model Tiger Sun went to fight ISIS in Syria and reveals frontline horrors | Daily Mail Online. Wish I could post pictures, but the link's the best I could do.

My biggest question is whether an uniform in this pattern has even been made...specifically in female size. It looks quite close to woodland MarPat, and it appears to be the uniform in use by this particular militia. Any intel will be greatly appreciated.

What do you think of the bash?

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
"I'll take REAL WORLD TACTICAL HO for $100.00 Alex."

"And it's a Daily Double D."

;) :p

Seriously, good on your to tackle an interesting subject and looking forward to it.

No clue about a female cut camo pattern, but if you find out it'll be an enlightening lesson for those of us who don't know.

My vision is not that great, but the camo pattern is kind like an ACU pattern . . . but greener maybe/perhaps?

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,388 Posts
She's scary - and with a name like Tiger Sun, sounds like she came from a Bond Movie.
The pattern looks like the one from DAMToys & MC Toys KSK set but I may be wrong. Not in female size but at least you have a base to work with ?
Looking forward to seeing you put all the pieces together !

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DFC...but you forgot to say What is? :nanana

She's scary - and with a name like Tiger Sun, sounds like she came from a Bond Movie.
The pattern looks like the one from DAMToys & MC Toys KSK set but I may be wrong. Not in female size but at least you have a base to work with ?
Looking forward to seeing you put all the pieces together !
Hey apotheosis, thanks for the suggestion. In looking closely at KSK patterns from DAM and MC one realizes that KSK is not a pixelated pattern though, it's more of an "ameboid" pattern, with the browns also been darker.

A search of my usual go-to e-retailers was unsuccessful...very little woodland MarPat, and none of it in female sizes. I'm looking into alternative options as far as the uniform right now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As far as I know, most arid and woodland marpat uniforms on the market are later generation, hybrid uniforms. In terms of traditional cut, which it looks like she's wearing, Very Hot Toys made a close analogue to the uniform in the photos. They're still floating around on Ebay, but the catch is that they fasten with Velcro, rather than the zipper version in the photos. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know, most arid and woodland marpat uniforms on the market are later generation, hybrid uniforms. In terms of traditional cut, which it looks like she's wearing, Very Hot Toys made a close analogue to the uniform in the photos. They're still floating around on Ebay, but the catch is that they fasten with Velcro, rather than the zipper version in the photos. Hope this helps.
Thank You Spettscollector. That Very Hot set has the exact pattern I need, except that it is tailored for a male figure. If I only had sewing skills... :bag
@onesixthwarrior: the HT USMC paratrooper's uniform may actually be woodland MarPat, but none of the pics I could find through a Google search show it very clearly. To the best of my abilities, I believe I see a woodland MarPat hooded jacket (maybe NBC suit?) over desert MarPat uniform.

The search continues. Thanks to all who have posted, really appreciate the help guys! :thumb

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
FWIW, I always found that Dragon male uniforms (at least the pants) fit reasonably well on female figures. They seemed to be cut smaller than other company's uniforms. They did do woodland MARPAT in male sizes, and IIRC MARPAT was a variation on the Canadian CADPAT pattern. I'm going to venture a guess that the woman in the article you cited brought her uniform with her, which means I'm also going to guess it's CADPAT, so MARPAT would probably be a pretty good approximation.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@edwick: thanks for your input bud.
DML made two figures in woodland MarPat uniforms - John Tiano and Rick Hamilton. A quick eBay search failed to show any loose uniforms, as did a search of my go-to e-tailers.
From my research on Ms. Bonham and her time in the YPG I've seen many pics of both her and other militia members wearing the same uniforms, which makes me think they copied either MarPat or CadPat and made it their own.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,960 Posts
I just saw this.

The uniform is not CADPAT. I looks to be a variation of the USMC MARPAT Woodland that has been copied by a number of Eastern European and Asian military units. Not exactly the same. A limited number of the uniforms were issued to Iraqi units from what I have read (may or may not be true), and shortly after copies started showing up in various locations, like southern Russia and a few of the 'Stans, and in SE Asian militaries, with slight colour variations.

The woodland MARPAT from the HT figures or Saturday Toys(Playhouse Toys) would probably be the best, because they have the light green of the pattern that the Dragon uniforms don't have. Maybe the BBI too. Best fit on a female figure would probably be the Hot Toys USMC 3rd Force Service Supportsupply figure(looks like Kristana Loken) or the Dragon uniforms. Dragon also did a carded set for the MARPAT uniform. So did Saturday Toys.

Correction, the HT female figure was Arrid MARPAT with a Woodland MARPAT Jacket/Parka.

·
Nactu...Pheractu...Nictu?
2,318 Posts
I just saw this.

The uniform is not CADPAT. I looks to be a variation of the USMC MARPAT Woodland that has been copied by a number of Eastern European and Asian military units. Not exactly the same. A limited number of the uniforms were issued to Iraqi units from what I have read (may or may not be true), and shortly after copies started showing up in various locations, like southern Russia and a few of the 'Stans, and in SE Asian militaries, with slight colour variations.

The woodland MARPAT from the HT figures or Saturday Toys(Playhouse Toys) would probably be the best, because they have the light green of the pattern that the Dragon uniforms don't have. Maybe the BBI too. Best fit on a female figure would probably be the Hot Toys USMC 3rd Force Service Supportsupply figure(looks like Kristana Loken) or the Dragon uniforms. Dragon also did a carded set for the MARPAT uniform. So did Saturday Toys.

Correction, the HT female figure was Arrid MARPAT with a Woodland MARPAT Jacket/Parka.
Agreed, that's definitely not CADPAT (or MARPAT for that matter), I compared the pictures to one of my issued tunic to be sure. FYI CADPAT is a controlled substance in Canada and I imagine harder to find in surplus stores than other patterns, like ACU for example. That pattern in the pictures has been floating around the theatre for some time - OGA, MARSOC, DELTA, SEALs have been spotted wearing it, as well as many militias.
Thanks for sharing such an interesting story, I can't wait to see the finished product :thumb

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@cdn_rhino & Canuck: I agree with you both; uniform is most definitely not CadPat - from what I've seen in the web the uniform in question has a lot more dark brown than either CadPat or MarPat.

I'm hoping that the DML uni (got your PM Mike, eagerly waiting to hear from you again) will fit a female body and be a reasonable facsimile.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,960 Posts
@cdn_rhino & Canuck: I agree with you both; uniform is most definitely not CadPat - from what I've seen in the web the uniform in question has a lot more dark brown than either CadPat or MarPat.

I'm hoping that the DML uni (got your PM Mike, eagerly waiting to hear from you again) will fit a female body and be a reasonable facsimile.
It should fit loosely on a female figure I imagine. You might need to do a bit of tailoring to get it to fit better, or just leave it baggy.

To my untrained eye the pattern looks like some variant of German flecktarn.
Flecktarn is more of a rounded edge speckled type pattern. This is one of the squared edge digital types

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
SO . . .

What's the status on this project?

How is it coming along?

I mean . . . you didn't forget the matching tactical bra and thong right? Or is she going commando?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SO . . .

I mean . . . you didn't forget the matching tactical bra and thong right? Or is she going commando?
Still going...and going...like the Energizer bunny :tongue

Seriously though, I got the nude figure, boots and two options for head gear: a shemagh, and a fleece beanie with scarf

Waiting on a fellow OSW member for a deal that may get me a DML woodland MarPat uniform, which I guess is gonna be the closest thing possible to the 1:1 item.

Still debating what to use for the webbing/belt kit; I have an MC Toys Russian SPETSNAZ FSB Alfa Group (2004 Beslan Version) chest rig coming, will be trying that on the female body as the camo color scheme is quite similar to the real thing. Otherwise I will probably end up using a Toys City woodland camo LBV-88, because I can't find anything else that will fit and reasonably resemble Ms. Bohman's gear.

If I can take even semi decent pics of the completed bash I will certainly post them.

What do you think?

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,960 Posts
I think your choices in gear should be about right. I am pretty rusty on my Russian chest rigs, and any carrying gear. But the uniform, and the rest of the bits should be a good start, and "close enough" to get the point of the bash across with regards to the reference pics you have. I really want to see your finished product. :thumb

Matching undies is your choice of course, but you may need to do some sewing in that department. And we can't see them any way soooooo....

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess we are all happy that DFC is back to normal...the timeout is over! :bravo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts