One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Star of this thread is a new high speed low drag optics "system", the ECOS-O used by SOCOM, presented here on a pimped out 16 inch M110K1 carbine by Easy & Simple.

This optics system is comprised by a Leupold MK6 3-18X44 variable scope, a Leupold cantilever scope base, and an Aimpoint Micro T-1 red dot sight, on a top mounted rail.

To give a little background info, in 2013 Leupold with Aimpoint won a huge SOCOM wide contract for the Enhanced Combat Optical Sight - Optimized (ECOS-O), as the primary optics system to satisfy "the operational need for a system that will allow SOF operators to engage targets in close quarter battle situations as well as providing a long-range high-powered optic system to engage targets at the full range of the weapon system's capability". That is, out to 1000+ meters mounted primarily on 7.62 platforms.
You can find more info here SOCOM ECOS-O optic contract awarded to Leupold and Aimpoint

This really "top of the line" optics system (In 2014 the MK6 won an FBI contract for the famous HRT unit and is also used by big city SWAT teams) is now available to 1/6 hobbyists, thanks to our OSW member Delusional who designed it in 3D according to the detailed 1:1 specifications and photos that I provided.

And he did a great job! :clap:clap This is the finished scope system, painted in grey/black with a hint of metallic, to show the details, complete with sticker lenses.

The ECOS-O is an optics system that really suits the M110K platform, instead of the combination of ACOG and offset T-1, that E&S provided. To put it simply, the ACOG has fixed magnification and surely not enough for the effective range of the rifle which is about 800 yards, even with the 16 inch barrel. The ECOS on the other hand, has a very wide margin of magnification, (3-18), is compact for its power (12 inches in length), and was specially designed to place the T-1 at minimum height over the scope to help the shooter transition smoothly and quickly between the two.

This M110 carbine configuration has a quick detach and very flexible (it swivels in all directions and the legs move independently to 45 degree angles) Atlas bipod, (from E&S HK417 as included in the DEVGRU HALO boxed figure), a Surefire light, a PEQ-15 and a quick detach short vertical foregrip, (E&S) to complete a real 7.62 "Recce/sniper" rifle look.

Here it is with the ECOS-O mounted

The ECOS-O is available for everybody on Delusional's Shapeways Store here. https://www.shapeways.com/product/3...aimpoint-an?li=shop-results&optionId=57487267

It comes like this.

So you will need to paint it in black or the camo scheme you prefer. It will easily fit premium 1/6 rifle rails (SS, DAM, E&S etc) and you can get sticker lenses in various diameters to complete the look. Note that the scope has engraved "notches" for the logos so that if you wish, you can also paint the Leupold "L" as I did.

All in all I want to give a big shout out to Delusional for kindly providing another one of my 1/6 "unicorns" :thanks:thanks and making it available to any hobbyist interested.

Hope you enjoyed this, feedback, comments and suggestions are most welcomed. :)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You guys are killing it with the cool optics!! Definitely ordering this and some others you have done. Thanks for sharing your talents!

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha ha, don't just drool man, go get some. You wont regret it! :)

Friggin sweet! :D
Τhanks buddy. 3D rocks! Waiting for your next designs:drool

Thanks for the inspiration George. My pleasure as always. You did a great job on it.
Pleasure was all mine Mark:woohoo Working with your rails now!

You guys are killing it with the cool optics!! Definitely ordering this and some others you have done. Thanks for sharing your talents!
Thanks for the kind words :thanks

It was about time we get some more really modern scopes in 1/6. And If it wasn't for E&S and Puzzle Bomb, we would be way way behind in this department.

Ooo ... purdy! Great work on this Mark!
He really threw the ball out of the park with this. 3D is the 1/6th gunsmiths paradise :thumb

Man that looks awesome.
Thank you, glad you like it!

Pretty awesome :thumb
Thanks buddy, :thanks

very nicely done !
Thanks Sam, buddy, you have been a great help in all this with your goodies. :hifive And the things you create with Mark are awesome :dizzy

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks GREAT!:applause

My scope should arrive next week. Cant't wait to have it in hands.:drool
Thanks, glad you liked it. :thanks I imagine the ECOS-O will go to one of your high speed kitbashes. Can't wait to see it.

·
Average Guy
2,324 Posts
I'm interested in whatever method you used to paint it. I've done two, one using Citidel Paints and another just using regular Krylon. Both turned out okay, but they aren't as smooth and finished looking as I'd like. That seems due to the material the optics are made out of. Did you do anything special to prep yours?

·
MUST STOP SPENDING ON 1/6
2,027 Posts
I'm interested in whatever method you used to paint it. I've done two, one using Citidel Paints and another just using regular Krylon. Both turned out okay, but they aren't as smooth and finished looking as I'd like. That seems due to the material the optics are made out of. Did you do anything special to prep yours?
I think he sands them lol. I'm too lazy . Let's see what he says

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think he sands them lol. I'm too lazy . Let's see what he says
Sorry for the late reply Brother and Sam, it seems my thread subscription scheme does not work very well. :bag

There are two ways to go about the 3D painting preparation AFAIK

The full treatment

Bath the stuff in olive oil for some hours, then put them for some hours in soap water, then sand them very lightly with fine (1000) sandpaper, then wash with soap water again and rinse with clear water.

The condensed treatment

Soap water bath, some very light sanding, bath again, then rinse with water.

Have used both depending on how lazy I am and if the items have a lot of wax remains or not. Degree of sanding effort also depends on if there are small but visible printing "defects" that make the surface less smooth than it should be , since this happens sometimes.

Most times I do not use a base layer, I just apply the paint.

This particular scope was painted mat black mixed with a hint of gunmetal grey, so that it would appear more "metallic"

Hope this helps

PS: Sam hates any kind of sanding. Thats why he is so particular about gun accessories fitting on gun rails out of the box. In fact I would dare say that he prefers to find them loose -and use blue tac or something-than tight :lol :lol :lol

·
MUST STOP SPENDING ON 1/6
2,027 Posts
Fantastic info Tigerstr. I am going to try both.
LOL. yes i do not enjoy sanding.

Note you only need to bathe it in olive oil. IF it has alot of residue and wax on it. The parts have a film of oil on them , but it might come off during shipping and without the oil protection, the part dries up and becomes quite rough and white.

it you feel your 3d part is oily and quite transparent, then you can skip the oil bathe and go straight to washing it.

·
Average Guy
2,324 Posts
LOL. yes i do not enjoy sanding.

Note you only need to bathe it in olive oil. IF it has alot of residue and wax on it. The parts have a film of oil on them , but it might come off during shipping and without the oil protection, the part dries up and becomes quite rough and white.

it you feel your 3d part is oily and quite transparent, then you can skip the oil bathe and go straight to washing it.
The two I ordered previously were covered and I just washed them with dish soap and it worked fairly well. But they didn't paint quite as nicely as I wanted them to be.

·
1/6 HSLD SOF fanatic
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fantastic info Tigerstr. I am going to try both.
Let me know how it goes bro, prepping the stuff, can go a long way :) Hope this time you will be satisfied.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts