One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one they've used for 1/6 parts that are willing to do the small scale work? I need something photo etched/laser cut which will be tiny. It is a British WWI shoulder title.

Primarily looking for a company someone has already used with good results.

Thanks.

EDIT: Would shapeways be able, or would it be too small? It goes on the shoulder boards of the tunic.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Try checking with a trophy shop that has a laser engraver. Back in my model building days, I had a trophy shop make custom insignia for rings and other small pieces using a laser engraver. They can probably cut the image from your drawing into thin Plexiglass or a plastic called FlexBrass.

David

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try checking with a trophy shop that has a laser engraver. Back in my model building days, I had a trophy shop make custom insignia for rings and other small pieces using a laser engraver. They can probably cut the image from your drawing into thin Plexiglass or a plastic called FlexBrass.

David
Thanks for the idea. We're talking something around the 5mm by 4mm size though. Wouldn't that be too small?

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
Thanks for the idea. We're talking something around the 5mm by 4mm size though. Wouldn't that be too small?
No, it wouldn't be too small at all. The laser engraver is capable of creating an image equivalent in most cases to about 1,000 DPI, so you should be able to get fine detail in a very small size. The ring emblems I had created were about 3/16 inch in size, so your items shouldn't be a problem. You may want to go with the FlexiBrass because it's a thin and relatively flexible plastic (hence the name) and you can either have them laser around the pieces to cut them out, or you can cut them from the sheet with an X-Acto knife. I also recommend using your computer to create the artwork from which they will engrave your pieces; they can scan hand drawn artwork, but a computer drawn image is more precise and won't need additional cleanup. A vector graphics art program will work best because it's infinitely scalable, but check with the trophy shop to see what program or file type they can use with the laser engraver.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts