One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I hope I won't be persecuted for this since I'm not in the military (only AFJROTC). But, I haven't seen a thread that detailed what the military uses for spelling. So here it goes. I am listing this from memory so if I am wrong please correct me.

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta(or DEVGRU hehe)
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec (Canadians!!!!!! LOL)
Romeo
Sierra (or SEAL, bwhahaha)
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whiskey (under 21, no drinky)
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu (or Greenwich Mean Time)

I hope everyone can learn something from this.:thumb

·
True Blue
382 Posts
A lot of civilian law enforcement agencies use a different alphabet. It may be different regionally but I think it is pretty common. Some departments use a mix of Deltadawn's and the below list. It's always been kind of an inside chuckle for us when a new guy comes on after a few years in the military. The first time he calls in a license plate, "Echo Lima Foxtrot 1-2-3", even if we've never met the guy, we all know he's coming from some branch of the service. Here's the alphabet common to my region (midwest):

Adam
Boy
Charlie
David
Edward
Frank
George
Henry/Hank
Ida
John
King
Lincoln
Mary/Mike
Nora
Ocean
Paul
Queen
Roberts
Sam
Tom
Union
Victor
William
X-Ray
Zebra

Mark D

·
Pimpin' ain't easy
4,169 Posts
Let's not forget a few numbers along with the alphabet.

3=tree
5=fife
9=niner

There's my 1/2 cent contribution ;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm in the military but they did not teach us the alphabet, I learned it myself when I was like 12. I have a question for those that do know the proper pronunciation for Quebec. Is it not "Qwebec" instead of the usual pronunciation?? Just wondering.

·
Don't Panic.
2,477 Posts
Striker76 said:
Is it not "Qwebec" instead of the usual pronunciation?? Just wondering.
I thought that was the usual pronunciation. At least that's how I say it, but I'm Kalifornian, not Canadian.

·
OSW Trade Police (Retired)
11,749 Posts
The RCMP (being a Para-Military organization) uses the military phonetic alphabet.

But as Mark suggests, I think that different agencies and different regions would use different systems.

You can pronounce Quebec two different ways: "Qwebec" as was previously stated or "Kebec" without the "w" sound. It just depends if you are where in Canada you are from; east or west.

·
True Blue
382 Posts
DarthBoz said:
I thought that was the usual pronunciation. At least that's how I say it, but I'm Kalifornian, not Canadian.
That's a whole other can of worms...Your new Governator gave a new spin on pronouncing Kah-lee-for-nee-ya!!

Mark D

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Some variants

Here's some versions from "ancient times" and affected phonetics for particular units.
The first is WW2/Korean War vintage, where there is a second, it might be from, for example, a Cav unit or Brigade element, c. 80s-90s, as I encountered them.

Able, Anvil
Baker
Dog, Dagger
Easy, Eagle
Fox
George
How
Item
Love

1 - 8 of 8 Posts