One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

Phicen staining issue

20K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  Thinkink 
#1 ·
I'm having an issue with my new Phicen figures that if they even come in contact with a colored fabric it stains the figure. Is there any way of stain-proofing these figures?

#2 ·
Not really a method of stain proofing the figure, you have to stain proof the clothing, a good soak in vinegar should do the trick, then rinse and then test...you may have to do this a couple of times to get the dye out.

as for the body, use oxy 10 under a light bulb...works like magic

#14 ·
Use a spray varnish like Mr. Super Clear to "seal" the body off from dyes dust and gunk. Mr. Super Clear is safe for plastic and rubber bodies as is Testor's Dull Coat, but be careful with clear coats from the spray paint aisles. Some may contain chemicals harmful to the plastic/rubber.

#4 ·
Part of the problem is that I believe & feel PHICEN bodies are not meant to be completely covered up. The PHICEN bodies by design & theme are meant to be posed with very minimal wear.

Buying a PHICEN body to dress up in an outfit that completely/mostly covers the body defeats the design & purpose of the PHICEN body.

This goes back to the original intention of seamless bodies. They're meant to be displayed.

I believe PHICEN made a few missteps with their early boxed offerings where the body was completely/mostly covered up and they're supposedly being more selective in boxed figures where the body is covered up with specifically designed outfits to emphasize their physique appeal.

At the same time, I do believe & feel 1:6 manufacturers needs to use better materials that will not bleed/leech color onto 1:6 bodies, but then again that will add to the cost of the figure and be problematic from an overall manufacturing perspective.

#6 ·
I agree with the vast majority of what you're saying, however, the following really struck me:

At the same time, I do believe & feel 1:6 manufacturers needs to use better materials that will not bleed/leech color onto 1:6 bodies, but then again that will add to the cost of the figure and be problematic from an overall manufacturing perspective.
I have a major problem with manufacturers using the crappiest cloth they can find for making outfits. It is inexcusable, most especially in the caseof those companies who charge premium prices for their products.

I mean, seriously... When's the last time you had an article of clothing that bled when washed according to instructions? I haven't had one in years.

Moreover, why the hell do we have to suffer with stained bodies and clothing that bleeds because some manufacturers won't spend what it takes to get decent quality textiles?

That's garbage, and I reject the notion that figure prices can justifiably be raised in order to get what we should have had in the first damn place.

#5 ·
avoid leather thingy that doesn't have light colored backing, they bleed color, or if you cut this material, make sure the fresh/ raw edges doesn't rest too long on the skin , and I don't think vinegar method would work in this case, soo wear something underneath before putting on pistol holster or something like that.

#8 ·
I agree with Dadrab, and I think Navetsea has the clue too. The rubber that seamless bodies are made of is not like human skin or hard plastic, it is both absorbant and full of silicone 'oil'. I think that this combination is causing the colours to leech into the figure. As to DFC's assertion that Phicens just need to wear less, I think this is exactly the problem, with skimpier clothes and more skin on show any staining is going to show more. I am not sure sealing the body with any kind of sealer is a good idea, unless it dries and stays flexible enough not to be affected by bending the figure around.
If it is any consulation this is a constant problem in the high fashion doll world too. I have seen a lot of Fashion Royalty type dolls stained by their clothing, and their outfits can cost many more dollars than action girl ones !

#9 ·
I agree with D.R. Manufactures know the dye will transfer and stain the figure.. Trust, if we know They Know. This is a problem for all figures. Not just Phicen. Black socks stain the feet of any figure. Black T-shirts will stain any figure. I learned the Hard way to use Head Sculpts I had no further use for under Balaclavas because they too will stain the face of head sculpts. I read many tips on how to remove the stains but have had no luck:doh It never comes off completely. I simply charge it to the game. As previously stated above preventative measures are best. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The vinegar thing is a old Southern remedy and works. But I have to agree with DFC re: Clothing the Body. Seamless bodies for the most part are for minimal clothing hence the hidden joints, More life like in appearance. I'm a huge fan of the Hot Toys Muscle bodies. I use them for Bashes where the arms and legs are reveled or something supper form fitting like a hero suit. Sending you positive thoughts friend. I know those bodies are expensive. I hope you are able to get the dye out/off. :goodluck

#11 ·
So how does that explain, the dark colored clothes on my hot toys Baby Doll not staining the figure?

Navy blue skirt and shirt.
Black panties.
Black stockings.

My kumik stained like crazy, I had to get a replacement. The kumik was wearing a totally different outfit however. outfit bought from ebay :\

I keep reading the Vinegar trick works? but wouldn't the clothes then smell like vinegar afterwards?

Can you throw these 1:6 clothes in the washer/dryer?

And I thought ruining my 25$ kumik sucks...ruining a 90 phicen sucks so much more.

#12 ·
my phicen that came with black lace undies don't get stained from it, compare it to ZCtoys bikini or TriadToys's Lola bikini that stained the figure.
I don't have Selene by Phicen, nor 2 previous assassins in black leather by them, but from what I see at ebay the parted out body from those set are clean, I never saw any stained parted out Phicen body, so they do right in choosing/ pre treating their costume, the only clothing article that ever stained my Phicen was belt from Amber (HT Amber/ sucker punch), lucky it was just a quick photoshoot, and I washed it as soon as I saw it developing, and it completely washed off before setting in.

G
#16 ·
Mr Super Clear works a treat on hard plastic bodies.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it on anything squashy like a phicen, not till someone else had tried it first!!!

There is one solution...put the figure into white undies or the skin tight triad bodysuits things first so that the coloured garment doesn't touch the skin.

#19 · (Edited)
Mr Super Clear works a treat on hard plastic bodies.

I'm not sure I'd want to try it on anything squashy like a phicen, not till someone else had tried it first!!!

There is one solution...put the figure into white undies or the skin tight triad bodysuits things first so that the coloured garment doesn't touch the skin.
I've used it on Obitsu soft bodies (read squishy) with no problem. I've yet to have it crack or anything negative and, since I make my own oufits, the bodies are subjected to a lot of tailoring and putting on/removal of a variety of fabrics. However, I have no idea what the makeup of the Obitsu body is versus Phicen. There are a variety of sealers that are made for different types of rubbery materials, but which ones work with what, well, I can't do all the work for you. ;)

More information:

Blushing a Phicen

Google Blushing phicens or blushing figures. The tutorials and forums that those searches turn up will lead you to people who have done this before. The one above would be worthwhile checking out as many of their members have done this.

If you're uncertain if this is the route to take or not, why not try contacting Phicen and ask them what they use on their pre-blushed bodies. It may be nothing more than airbrushed paint, but it's likely that it was sealed with something to prevent the paint from rubbing off with use.

EDIT: After thinking about it and going through my drawers, I found the D-Boy Somalia body I had stashed away. I did blush and seal that body with Testor's Dull Coat and have not had any issues with it. But again I have no idea how alike or different the material composition is for that one and Phicen.

#21 ·
None of mine have stained in normal use. I left one dressed in a black Pop Toys evening gown for more than a month, without any stains. What did cause a bit of staining were the Very Cool stockings- a very faint discoloration on her right ankle- but that was after she had worn them for almost 3 weeks. This isn't the way I normally use my Phicens, and I don't recommend leaving them in dark clothing for prolonged periods like this.

If you're really worried about stains, pre-soak the clothing until you don't see any dye in the water. They can be more than bikini models.

#22 ·
I do not recommend using any varnish or clear coat on a Phicen stainless steel body unless you know it is at least as flexible as the silicone skin. The Phicen SS skin flexes and stretches much more so than any other figures I've encountered. Also, Testor's Dullcoat is lacquer-based which could, potentially, attack the material from which the Phicen SS skin is made. Testor's Dullcoat is also not flexible enough for Phicen SS skin.

I've used Liquitex Matte Varnish on repainted Barbie heads, which are rather "squishy", and found it more than flexible enough for squishy surfaces. Even with that experience, I would be very reluctant to use it on a Phicen SS skin because the skin is "stretchy" as well as "squishy".

The only things I would recommend for Phicen SS skin is a light dusting of talc or cornstarch powder.

#23 ·
I buy the seamless bodies to display them in more revealing clothing...not bikinis but skirts and tank tops, etc...just gives a little more realistic look than visible joints. {I also insist that the male figures for my rock bands are either bald or have rooted hair...and those are pretty scarce for some reason.}
Long story short...thanks for the Oxy 10 tip for cleaning the stains. I haven't had a big problem with it, mostly from cheap quality stockings.

#26 ·
I'm currently testing the remove-zit product from Twin Pines which is marketed towards dye staining removal. I don't have any of the phicen bodies to test with but I have some other rubberized ones I'll give it a shot on. So far it works great on hard plastic surfaces, but I've yet to try rubberized or painted surfaces (which they disclaim it may effect).

#30 ·
Before you go too crazy, I'd try two things:

1. Painter's tape on the stained parts of the leg. Sometimes the stains are just sticky lint that comes off. Not often, but you can at least see if that will get them off.

2. Wait. I've seen some surprisingly serious stains almost completely vanish on their own. I read somewhere it has to do with porous materials (like the rubber or silicone skin on Phicens) and absorbtion, but the bottom line is that I have a few figures I figured were stained beyond repair that looked fine (or at least usable) after a week or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.