One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my pre-order late last week, and threw together something quickly. Overall, I like her, though I think she's a bit expensive for what you get.

Full album (including extras and some naughtier shots) is over here, or click through any of the photos.

Lady Magician by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

The Lady Magician is the first in Phicen's "Uniform Temptation" series. It's very obviously inspired by the DC Comics character Zatanna, though with enough differences that she could be any stage magician.

One of the biggest boxes Phicen has shipped a figure in lately.

Our Lady Magician, as she comes in the box. The entire figure is in a foam rubber tray, same as how a lot of Phicen's boxed sets have been shipped in the past. Everything is nice and secure and collector friendly.

Out of the box, waving her magic wand. I didn't notice that she had a little plastic sheet between her bustier and her jacket. If you look VERY closely, you might see it.

It seems like Phicen has an "A" team and a "B" team for head sculpts. A lot of the recent ones have been really great, like the 4.0 tan headsculpts, the recent Halle Berry-ish sculpt, and Fire Red Rose. I think this one falls into that category, too -- matches the prototype photos and is lovely. (The B-team seems to have picked up the headsculpts for the v5/stainless steel body, which I thought were disappointing.)

It is a split-head, so you could swap out scalps if you really wanted to. She also comes with a tiny little moon necklace, which you can get a good look at here.

Nothing in my hands…

The jacket is held together by tiny hooks, which are easy to undo but very hard to re-do. But I did it to remove some packing material and to show off the bustier.

Here she is showing off all her accessories (which, to be honest, is not much, and one reason why I think she's a bit on the pricey side).

The prototype photos showed a ridiculously large top hat. Phicen said they might try to reduce its size before they shipped. If they did, it's not enough by a long shot.

In addition to her magic wand, you get a black velvet handkerchief, a little magic box, and 3 pairs of hands in assorted magic-y poses.

The hands are painted white in a way that I think is trying to look like cloth. I think it ends up looking a bit more like paint, but they work well enough.

I do find that these hands pop off the body pretty easily, though.

The magic box has a little drawer in it. Probably just large enough to fit LEGO coins if you wanted to try your own magic show.

Hocus Pocus!

Had the jacket off, so I figured I'd get a few shots of her back and the bustier top, which is a really nice piece.

Another portrait shot, this time without the jacket.

I think this headsculpt is like Fire Red Rose, where I thought it was good when it came out of the box but grows on me as time goes on. It's becoming one of my favorites.

Lady Magician - For My Next Trick... by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Lady Magician - Definitely Nothing Up My Sleeve by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Popped her headsculpt on a spare 4.0 tan body to verify that the skin tone matched. Decided to have a little fun while I was at it.

Ta-daaaa!!!

Yes, she's standing unsupported. The shadow she's casting shows how far away she is from the back of my lightbox.

Overall, I think it's a nice figure, though I think it was a better value at lower pre-order prices. The clothing is very well tailored, though I wish it were a normal tux jacket rather than the leather-like material, and with buttons instead of the weird bows in front. I'm glad I have her, though.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
That is one gorgeous young Lady, I think Phicen is finally on there A Game with these newer head sculpts. There figures have came along ways in the last couple of years. This one has a lot of potential!

Yeah your right I also think she's a bit expensive for what you get.

Those are excellent photos, I'm very impressed with that photo, that pose must taken a while to do. :thumb :thumb :bravo

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
great review of a quite adorable subject. I would love to get this, if for nothing else because the subject is so different. What is a major turn-off however is that enourmously silly hat which I agree should be a lot smaller.

And why do I come to think about Alice in Wonderland when I see that? :p

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I like this a LOT! These newer Phicen sculpts really do look as good as they do in promos. The other one I really like is the smiling sculpt you get on the metal skeleton body. Some way down the line I may be seriously tempted to snap that one up.

CHEERS!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
I like this a LOT! These newer Phicen sculpts really do look as good as they do in promos. The other one I really like is the smiling sculpt you get on the metal skeleton body. Some way down the line I may be seriously tempted to snap that one up.
CHEERS!
--

You're posting/saying that figuratively speaking and not literally right?

;) :p

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
thanks for the review. looks great, but I am going to regretfully pass on this figure. too many figures on he horizon to pay a 100+ for this figure. Maybe down the line I will buy the headsculpt but the box-set....nah.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Somebody's got to buy the Phicen guys a marketing textbook. Virtually everybody reacts to this figure being overpriced. The positive people say that it's overpriced but nice and they may still buy it, the negative people say it's too overpriced to be worth buying. Pretty much everybody seems to like the figure at least somewhat, so the Price emerges as a big consideration. I think raw Phicen bodies are perceived as more or less ok at @$75 so the over-price-edness of this one is in charging $40 to $45 more for this outfit.

The thing is, the price over-reach isn't a lot of money - I suspect $15 or even just $10 less would have kept most people favourably inclined without reservation. The current price feels like a pure bit of added cash-grab. I think the excess of it, rather than purely saving a few $, is what people are reacting to. So Phicen, pls get a marketing book.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
Somebody's got to buy the Phicen guys a marketing textbook. Virtually everybody reacts to this figure being overpriced. The positive people say that it's overpriced but nice and they may still buy it, the negative people say it's too overpriced to be worth buying. Pretty much everybody seems to like the figure at least somewhat, so the Price emerges as a big consideration. I think raw Phicen bodies are perceived as more or less ok at @$75 so the over-price-edness of this one is in charging $40 to $45 more for this outfit.

The thing is, the price over-reach isn't a lot of money - I suspect $15 or even just $10 less would have kept most people favourably inclined without reservation. The current price feels like a pure bit of added cash-grab. I think the excess of it, rather than purely saving a few $, is what people are reacting to. So Phicen, pls get a marketing book.
--

PUTS ON CAPTAIN CYNICALLY OBVIOUS OUTFIT . . .

YOU KNOW . . .

Even if it was priced just right, there would still be those who'll post/say it's still overpriced/could have/should have cost less.

I'm just saying.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
--

PUTS ON CAPTAIN CYNICALLY OBVIOUS OUTFIT . . .

YOU KNOW . . .

Even if it was priced just right, there would still be those who'll post/say it's still overpriced/could have/should have cost less.

I'm just saying.
In that case they'd be wrong ... but in this case, we are right ... :wink

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone!

I think raw Phicen bodies are perceived as more or less ok at @$75 so the over-price-edness of this one is in charging $40 to $45 more for this outfit.
Something like this thought had crossed my mind earlier today, but actually made me LESS inclined to say it's an overpriced set. If you figure that a base Phicen body with headsculpt costs $70, that means you're paying $40 for a full 5-piece outfit, the ridiculously large hat, 3 pairs of hands, and an assortment of extras (which also includes a figure stand).

If someone were offering just the clothing set priced at $40, I'm pretty sure I'd say it was a deal. There are a lot of $40 female outfit sets out there that have a lot less in them. Sure, I'd like more in the set (and a hat that wasn't so ridiculously big), but even at its current price of about $110 at the dealers, it's actually not bad.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
For me price was definitely the deal breaker for this one. I have around a hundred and thirty figures, after getting rid of around 30 of them. I know there are members who have way more than that. but for me that's a lot considering I am not really what you call a collector. I buy 1/6 figures that I think are cool, so cool that they will make me want to play with them. after a hundred I have to ask myself how many figures do I need? This is just not one of those figures that is so cool I want to have especially at the price. Then throw in the fact i would not have kept the body so price really becomes a factor. I will wait and see if SMCG gets the sculpt in and I will probably buy it and put it on one of the new med/large Play Toy body (my new female body of choice).

right now Hot Toys will be getting 90% of my 1/6 money, with Kaustik and Playtoy fighting out for 2nd place with their male and females bodies. I will always be buying male and female head sculpts to place on my bodies. on the average I can dress my female figures around twenty dollars, found a really good eBay store that sells female clothes that can fit on female figures.

I have to admit Phicen has step up their game on their head sculpts. I have loved the last four head sculpts that have came out. I wished they made a more durable/ affordable female body. like the direction they took with the metal skeleton but the price will keep me from buying them. I think Play Toy and Very Hot with their affordable bodies has moved in the right direction.

I wished Hot Toys were not so d---- expensive, but I do admit I love them. Don't know if the prices are justifiable , I just know Hot Toys have to pay licensing fee for probably any figure they produce. and as long as the majority of collectors are willing to pay for them you are left with take it or leave it. Other companies with their prices make it so easy for me to pass.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts