One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Read the announcement (from PHICEN) below.

I wonder if it had to do with the @$$hole(s) behind iphicen.com (now defunct apparently) or possibly a party or parties pissed off at PHICEN for being screwed over in business arrangements/dealings? Who knows? As long we continue to have access to our 1:6 plastic crack from PHICEN, then no one gives a $%^& who the dealer is right?

The announcement is on BBICN's website.

:rolleyes

·
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting. Why are you conjecturing they cheated in their business dealings? They've answered every email I've sent them, which is a far better record than other companies I've contacted.
--

There are those who believe/feel PHICEN engaged in or engages in monopolistic and underhanded business tactics with regards to distribution and pricing for whatever reasons. We all know about the "disagreement" from a year or so ago that was made public within the OSW.

Then again, there are those make such claims who do the same thing (i.e. I will carry and support you if you give me exclusivity rights for the US, etc. because I did the same for . . .).

Some know. Some don't. Some just don't give a $%^&. Some may claim it's all bull$%^&, but then again it's about who you choose to believe, take with a grain of salt, the plausibility of such cut throat idiocy in the 1:6 business, etc.

When it comes to 1:1 and 1:6 business in terms of competition, ethics (lack thereof), there is not much difference asides from scale. The greed and self-promotion/serving agenda remains the same.

The announcement is like out of left field . . . unexpected, but then again who knows?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Interesting. I don't know all the ins-and-outs of their business practices, but they gotta' do what they gotta' do. As you said, Chung, as long as they still deliver their product they could call themselves "Plastic-Crack", and I wouldn't give a s$&t

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I still have a couple of early bodies marketed under Tiger Brothers brand. I leave the business dealings of the hobby to those who are involved in it. For me, this is a hobby, my escape, an antidote to real life stuff that I do have to deal with. Business relationships are made and broken every day. Successful businesses adapt and move on. I'm really not going to worry that Phicen hurt somebody's feelings along the way. I continue to support the early distributor of these bodies with other purchases. I wonder if other hobbies have as much backstage intrigue as this one.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
doesn't matter what they call themselves. as long as they keep producing the best 1/6 scale bodies I have ever had the pleasure of owning, I could care less what banner they go under.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is interesting news... I actually came across that malicious website that was presenting itself as Phicen's main website, it looked legit and I tried ordering direct through it only to get an error message, at which point I prayed that my information wasn't stolen and I never went back to the site again.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So they're going back to their original name. I have at least one TB League body, too. I remember when they changed to Phicen. Around it goes.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
--

Then again, there are those make such claims who do the same thing (i.e. I will carry and support you if you give me exclusivity rights for the US, etc. because I did the same for . . .).

When it comes to 1:1 and 1:6 business in terms of competition, ethics (lack thereof), there is not much difference asides from scale. The greed and self-promotion/serving agenda remains the same.
This industry in a nutshell.

It looks like a one Wu Peng applied for the trademark in Japan last year and was granted it in February of this year and tried to use it as a means of forcing a distribution agreement. That is a new level of douchebaggery I haven't seen before. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale on the importance of registering trademarks in target markets. It looks like in Japan that can be done for less than $1000.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I wonder if other hobbies have as much backstage intrigue as this one.
Niches unfortunately seem to attract con men, given the relatively low barrier to entry compared to other industries. Some of the things I've seen in this particular hobby are particularly reprehensible.

·
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So they're going back to their original name. I have at least one TB League body, too. I remember when they changed to Phicen. Around it goes.
--

Welcome to the revolution.

·
12,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This industry in a nutshell.

It looks like a one Wu Peng applied for the trademark in Japan last year and was granted it in February of this year and tried to use it as a means of forcing a distribution agreement. That is a new level of douchebaggery I haven't seen before. Hopefully this serves as a cautionary tale on the importance of registering trademarks in target markets. It looks like in Japan that can be done for less than $1000.
--

I wonder if anyone ratted out on Wu Peng given the reward incentive?

:lol

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
--

I wonder if anyone ratted out on Wu Peng given the reward incentive?

:lol
I'm sure Phicen is already aware of the individual given the situation and available information. It looks like Phicen filed a trademark application the following month after said individual, so it seems reasonable to assume there must have been some back and forth up until the trademark was granted in February.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts