One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have some patches, most of which I understand, however there's one that I understand is used as an infrared marker. It's square, comes in both OD and Silver/Grey and can best be described as either a cross with the middle erased or an incomplete tic-tac-toe board.

Ok, here goes - where are these normally placed? Is the whole patch used or is it cut to fit whatever it's placed on? Are there any links/examples of how/where these are used?

Different question, read if your bored. I've picked up several Seal/Mercenary patch sets that look pretty good in terms of quality. The set includes the scull and crossed-swords (white on black) but there's one patch that reads "Sgt Trident" on the top line and then the words "US NAVY" underneath (again, white lettering on black background). As I mentioned to another member, I'm not sure I've heard the words Sergeant and Navy mentioned in the same sentence. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Airborne Chief
209 Posts
TPA, the patches with the partially erased tic tac board are meant to be cut using the lines as cutting guidelines. This way you get nine IR square patches out of that large square. Once cut, the IR squares are worn on the sides, back, and/or top of headgear (softcaps and helmets). The IR squares are also worn on the velcro portion of RAID type BDUs, DCUs or other uniform sleeves. Sometimes an IR square is worn just below the collar between the shoulder blades by some units. Lastly, I have even seen the IR square sewn onto backpacks or attached to tactical vests. ACUs are made with integral IR squares on the sleeve pocket flap. The ACU MICH/ACH covers have IR squares on the top and each side. But all the ACU IR squares are black.
As far as Sergeant Trident. That baffled me years ago when I purchased it. Probably a mistake on BBi's part.
Hope all of this helped.
Tim

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Abn_Chief and DunkleGelb for the info and the quick response. I've already started putting together two uniforms with the patches. If I'm understanding the reading I've done, it looks like they were attached in what were semi-standard locations (for the most part). I mention this as, from what I saw in some pictures, other soldiers simply attached them to uniforms and equipment wherever he thought it was necessary. Any info on this is welcomed. I've got to believe that some standard has since been developed.

Other questions. When was this first used? Was this something all soldiers used once it started or at first only by Special Operations units. I read that its now there's some concern/consideration that this be discontinued as it's since become common knowledge and with this can be used by the enemy to locate US units.

Again, any further info is welcomed. Oh, and a warning to all. If you go to the link to look at photos, be careful. I expected to look at a few photos. I was there for over an hour. Check your watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.