One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In honor of my wife, three eras of Dutch soldiers: Post WWII Malaysia, Korea under UN troops, and 1970's Commando.

The Dutch army supply line was decimated by WWII. After the war, the small nation relied on donations and purchases from Great Britain and the US for most of their military supplies. That makes this Dutch soldier in Malaysia so eclectic, with a USMC surplus camo uniform and british equipment.

It was not at all unusual to see British canteen carriers with a US canteen, or US Mess kit inside. Boots were supplied by both countries, and weapons were more typically British, the Lancaster here, or the ubiquitous STEN. M1 Garands were also a popular weapon.

This figure uses a BBI body, DML USMC brown camo bdu, BBI british grenades,DML British Web gear, BBI British Helmet (i think), and a 21C Lancaster SMG.

This figure, from the early 70's, shows a Dutch Commando in training.

By this time, the Dutch Army was practicing anti-terrorist tactics, in response to the 1972 Olympics attack, etc.. At this time, the Dutch Army was well equipped under their own system, but they still tended to buy surplus military items on the world market, rather than develop much of their own.

He carries a US canteen, and is lightly outfitted with a US web belt and pouches, first aid pouch, and Dutch made BDUs.

This soldier carries an early MP5 (with a straight magazine... the curved magazine would be introduced a few years later). Helmets were typically US M1 steel pots, but this commando unit has appropriated an older style British Para helmet probably for the weight.

Lastly, just a quick pick of a Dutch UN Forces soldier during the Korean Conflict: This one inappropriately armed with an Owen SMG, just for fun. During the Korean Conflict, the Dutch army was still making do with surplus from Great Britain (boots, web gear and weapons, as he would most likely have an Enfield Rifle) and the US (helmets, BDU's). Dutch forces in Korea fought attached to US troops, and carried US Army rank and unit insignia on their uniforms.

Not much in the way of coolness, but they were fun to part together and shop for!

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Nice set of figs!

I wacthed a pretty cool Special Forces documentary on Bravo recently about Dutch CT units, and they showed a siege (school bus) in the late 70's/early eighties where a lot of guys were running about kitted out like your second bash, armed with Mossberg pumps.

Now pass the Dutchie -

·
Mobilis in mobili
690 Posts
Very nicely done my friend.

But I think the post-WW2 fig is supposed to be the Dutch army during the Indonesian war of independence. From what I know, the Dutch were focusing more on its' asian colony. Correct me if i'm wrong. thanx.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nicely done my friend.

But I think the post-WW2 fig is supposed to be the Dutch army during the Indonesian war of independence. From what I know, the Dutch were focusing more on its' asian colony. Correct me if i'm wrong. thanx.
you are correct. The Dutch were busy in the late 40's, trying to decide the fate of their current/former colonies in the Pacific.

I chose the wrong word. It should have been Indonesia.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts