One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got back into this. I was doing mainly mil figs back 2010-11 ish. I remember back then one of the things that bugged me was the lack of basic parts and materials. I've done many other indoor hobbies, but I've never run into one like this. I understand that major items need to be limited. You run into the same thing with most hobbies now. You won't be able to buy a train loco, plane model, or RC model, forever. You have a limited amount of time. That's fine. But the part that's ridiculous with 1/6 is that, you have to depend on the parting out of sets, for virtually everything. To the point where I can't even find SS type neck pins. I mean, how is that not just a basic part made available? Yes, I know some guys 3d print them... For $8. More power to them if they can get that, but I'm not paying $8 for a little piece of plastic. Why can't companies like SS, DAM and others, just make some basic parts? I don't get why that's so hard. I feel like it cripples the whole hobby and really turns people off, who otherwise might pick up the hobby. Imagine if you spent $200 on an RC model... broke one little part, then it's like... 'Oh no, sorry... You have to now find somebody who has parted out that whole model, and get lucky enough to buy that one part off them when they happen to have it for a week or so, before it gets sold to some other desperate person who needs it. It's just stupid.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,081 Posts
Spare parts has always been an unserved part of this, or any hobby really. I think it comes down to the old business model that if it breaks, just buy another one. Or hope to get lucky when a figure gets parted out. That just gets harder and harder when the figure ages, and plastic gets brittle and easier to break.

It's strange too, because it seems like an easy way to keep customers loyal to a product. Maybe the only figure brands with spares have been the Japanese Volks and Obitsu bodies from years back. But I don't even know if those brands are still making figures and parts.

RC cars, planes, boats etc... all seem to have the spares side sorted out. Figures.... not at all.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,927 Posts
That's why I buy multiples instead of a single figure.

"IF" something breaks, then a spare is readily available.

Then again, don't do anything careless/unwise resulting in breakage.

I believe in general 1:6 loose parts vendors are experiencing flux in terms of availability, pricing, and sourcing when it comes down to breaking down the latest and newest 1:6 figure for "parts" due to . . .

1. Higher cost for a boxed figure.

2. No guarantee everything broken down will sell.

3. Price resistance from collectors wanting to buy loose parts because they all want the most desired components "cheap".

4. Those absolutely, positively, and undeniably want the "premium" components will pay and scarf them all up resulting in those with price resistance, etc. to miss out and vendors being stuck with less desirable/un-sellable components and not recouping what they invested or making much profit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts