One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Celer et Audax
397 Posts
Re: Para becomes first living recipient of Victoria Cross from Afghanistan campa

I have Mark Adkins "last eleven" which I read in the mid 90s...... He said we probably wouldn't get any more VCs as we weren't likely to be involved in a ground war of any ferocity ever again with all our tech and smart noodads......

WRONG......

We found a war, and guess what, it still takes well trained fit aggressive (men..... Though I accept in these enlightened times it needn't be) to put heir bootson real estate and wave a few inches of steel at the baddies ......

I love the sequence of Nick Carter man hugging him.....Carter was my CO in the Green Jackets and was a lovely sensitive man.....

Congrats , Cpl Leaky..... You are an apex winner....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Re: Para becomes first living recipient of Victoria Cross from Afghanistan campa

You may want to re phrase that to be the first Living British Soldier to be a recipient. We have three living Australians awarded the VC from that conflict and I'm pretty sure the Kiwis have two possibly more
A very brave and selfless Soldier - Well done that man
Just Saying
Al

·
Celer et Audax
397 Posts

You may want to re phrase that to be the first Living British Soldier to be a recipient. We have three living Australians awarded the VC from that conflict and I'm pretty sure the Kiwis have two possibly more
Just Saying
Al
Yes...

Willi Apiata from NZ and Mark Donaldson, Daniel Keighran and Ben Roberts-Smith from Oz....

I was puzzled by the papers today, but i guess the quote is in relation to British VC winners..... These other brave men won the post Republican awards...VC for New Zealand and VC for Australia....( and one or Canada which is still yet to have a winner, though I am sure it won't be long)

For my money, a VC is a VC, and it's daft to differentiate...... But I'm no republican!

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Just Saying
Al
Amended, no offence intended.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
None taken, just pointing out that there were other VC winners. The Victoria Cross for Australia came about due to the approval process having to go through Brtish Military channels and the political influences at the time . The Australian Government had to fight tooth and nail for every Vietnam VC and were angered at brish stalling and outright refusal of the award. The same can be said for the Korean war where the Brtish Military blocked Australian and Canadian Awards as the only British Nominees were POW at the time (Very well documented). I can go back further to awards during WW2 and particularly the X Craft attack on the Tirpitz where the Australian X Craft commander who actually placed his charges and was then lost with his Craft and crew was refused the VC by the Admiralty.
Despite the new names for the award they are still treated exactly the same as the Brtish Award and members are presented to the Monarch and awarded all the priviliges of the Award.
Al

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,362 Posts
This:

"It's part of the very nature of being in the Army, and especially the Parachute Regiment, that we have to adapt to situations you don't expect to happen.

Pointing to the badge on his maroon Parachute Regiment beret, he added: "The only thing I was really scared of was letting this down. That to me, that's why I joined, that's why I joined the Army to be a paratrooper."

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Bravery and humility, what a fine fellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts