One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am at my wits end with this so I will ask all the experts here...how can i get the whites of the eyes smooth, flat and with no brush marks. I have tried every which way I can to get a nice smooth surface with out brush marks, to date I have failed. I have tried all different types of mixtures of paint, from very watery to right out of the bottle, from thinning with water to using a blending gel, I have tried different brushes from very small 00 to a bit larger like a 1, again no matter what i end up with brush marks. I am using Liquitex acrylic paints. It seems the smaller the eye the better luck I have (Male Figures like Dragon, BBI), but I am trying to paint a female figure and her eyes are a bit larger and for the life of me I can't get them smooth...Help!!!

·
WWII Guy
1,418 Posts
seriously don't worry about it! By the time you put the iris, pupil, and the red around the eyelids - upper and lower, the amount of space left is not enough to worry about. If your taking pictures that close up then you'll be way more worried about alot of other things for sure!

Cya,
Hankster

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
If you are going for reality here the iris and pupil take up a lot of the 'space' of the eye. Also, the texturing could help with painting teeny little blood vessels to make the eyes more bloodshot. Very few human eyes are perfectly white, and smooth looking. Look closely at some family and friends eyes, and you'll notice that the eyeball isn't totally smooth. Especially near the corners. Unless your painted gal is a Visene addict, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Also, even it the surface is a bit uneven, a final clear coat over the entire paint job will help to smooth things out, and make the eye look wet and glossy.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
A 10/0 and Vallejo matt white is what you need. Vallejo are modellers acrylics and are much, much better for bashing than any artist's acrylics I've ever used.

I can't recommend them enough

CHEERS!

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
in my experience Liquitex is not a very good paint, especially the white.

i would recommend citadel warhammer paint because the white is incredibly opaque, you can thin it down with water and apply it to the eyes with only 1 coat.

less coats = less strokes. you should also be using a very high quality brush. i prefer to use a 10/0 angular shader because it has a short, angled chisel tip that i find easy to control.

in the event that your white coat isnt completely smooth, you can correct this in the final stage of painting the eye, which is glossing using a high gloss clear varnish. usually the varnish will "fill in" any inconsistencies or uneven textures and provide a smooth finish and a life-like "wet eyeball" appearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.