One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Great War Fanatic
522 Posts
First off - that is excellent! It is evident that you have done your due diligence with this figure. Impressive.

I agree with Mr. Barton. I have since added some mild weathering to my WWI Infantry Officer and it has improved its appearance tenfold. The color contrasts can be remedied with mild weathering. For the khaki field gear, I have found that soaking it in heavily concentrated tea for 4+ hours helps to give a very realistic appearance. Painting the khaki pieces with diluted acrylic paint also serves as a good base-layer (before you do any soaking in tea). I'm not sure what I would use/do for the leather pieces. Perhaps there is some way to darken the leather bits with repeated soakings in water or some other solution. I'd think that paint would be a last resort.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

-CPT M

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Perfect! I planned on making a WWI Marine myself, albeit an enlisted one, but this is magnificent. I'm very jealous of the uniform. I'd love to have a Marine Corps uniform but I was going to "cheat" and put mine in the standard Army uniform (which were issued to some due to shortages and ease of supplies).

Again, awesome figure!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
First off - that is excellent! It is evident that you have done your due diligence with this figure. Impressive.

I agree with Mr. Barton. I have since added some mild weathering to my WWI Infantry Officer and it has improved its appearance tenfold. The color contrasts can be remedied with mild weathering. For the khaki field gear, I have found that soaking it in heavily concentrated tea for 4+ hours helps to give a very realistic appearance. Painting the khaki pieces with diluted acrylic paint also serves as a good base-layer (before you do any soaking in tea). I'm not sure what I would use/do for the leather pieces. Perhaps there is some way to darken the leather bits with repeated soakings in water or some other solution. I'd think that paint would be a last resort.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

-CPT M
Thank you guys for your feedback. I definitely want to give him a decent weathering, the clean look does look a bit boring, but since it's something I've never done myself I'm a little afraid of screwing something up, maybe I'll find another figure to practice on before I go with this one.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
What an outstanding figure! The tailoring on the uniform looks really crisp and sharp - too bad they weren't cooperative in terms of any errors. I would definitely practice weathering on several figures before you attempt it on this one. I like using Bragdon weathering powders because they allow you to build up the amount of "dirt" gradually. Dry-brushing with paint can be really effective but it takes practice, as does airbrushing. I would stay away from a lot of water (or tea) on the leather as it may distort.

·
Average Guy
2,324 Posts
I think it is fantastic. I really would love to see it with a bit of weathering. The filth of the trenches will really make the piece stand out I think.

·
Great War Fanatic
522 Posts
Looking back through this - I would also suggest using a Battle Gear Toys pistol belt. The fabric is more appropriate and easier on the eyes. It also takes paint and weathering well. I find it is best to combine the DiD/SS metal hardware with the BGT belts.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
:thumb so nice. Keeping him clean, or getting dirty?

Not nearly enough WW1 American soldier figures. Custom or kits.
Hi thanks man. Yes I'm definitely giving him a weathering, I've already applied some ash here and there and I'm waiting for the Tamiya weathering sticks I ordered to make him look like he just walked out of Belleau Wood. Hopefully it'll look right I've never weathered before!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts