One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether it is Hong Kong and Macao, or Texas and Louisiana, we hope that our members, and the people in those places, see safe passage. I'll add the same for all of those animal companions out there, too.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
Thanks, Mike. Here in Hong Kong we had TWO big typhoons in the space of five days - Typhoon Hato, a T10, which is a direct hit, and Typhoon Pakhar, a T8 on Sunday. Two in one week is a first in my 20 years here.

(Hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons are all the same weather phenomenon; we just use different names for these storms in different places. In the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific, the term "hurricane" is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a "typhoon" and "cyclones" occur in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.)

Hato killed 12 people in the Pearl River Delta area (Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong - on a clear day I can just make out some of the big hotels in Macau across the Delta), and caused huge amounts of flooding and damage. We were lucky just to lose a fabric awning which shaded half of our roof. It had stood up to plenty of T8s, but Hato was just too much.

I hope all our 1/6th friends in Texas are safe.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad to hear you fared well, David. I hope those window washers and the truck guy survived. Leo is doing OK, and said that Macao was hit hard, and dependent on the mainland for support. It is so beautiful there where you are, and so hard to watch the damage. Areas of Texas have been badly flooded, and the death toll has risen. All nations need to reconsider how they are approaching the ever-changing weather.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got an email from Joe /Longhorn92. He and his family (including their dog) are safe, after many trials, and weathering what the next days bring. Another member of the OSW family has made their way thru.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
To our members along the East Coast and in Florida, prayers and thoughts your way as Irma approaches.

Be safe.

As for me . . . I'm taking a queue from Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump. I'm chartering a shrimping boat and heading out to meet Irma and maybe Jose.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hoping the southeast and southern states pass thru all of this safely.

·
12,956 Posts
Hoping the southeast and southern states pass thru all of this safely.
--

Last I checked, Jacksonville, FL will be hit on Sunday evening/Monday when Irma arrives as a CAT 1. I'm going outside and flying a kite. Yippy!

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
--

I'll give you a free figure if you promise to run into the burning pyre and stay there like the guy who ran into the burning man structure and stay there until it's done
No thanks....I have way too many as it is.....and anyway, your figures are not exactly to my taste.....:wink

·
12,956 Posts
Jacksonville, FL is slowly recovering. There are still issues with some areas flooded and no power. My area experienced issues as well. No power since Sunday, but it was restored today. It could have been worse. A lot worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts