One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only issues I've encountered so far, are the notifications issue (though mine said 2018 unread, i'm noticing a date-like trend here lol) and being logged out when I try to post (only happened once though)

The forum threads seem out of order and scattered compared to a while back, though it's been a while since I visited, so that might just be a structure change or my failing memory???

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I may have exaggerated DFC's comment referenced above, for which I apologize.

One of the most bewildering issue here is how the glitches affect different users -- sometimes the same way at the same time, sometime in different ways at different times. I suppose some of that is due to different browsers, systems, etc., but one does get the impression of general instability. I am sorry to see so many others are having these problems and problems I had not even imagined myself.

I was starting to think along the lines of Rogerbee's suggestion... but I forgot to play Megamillions again...

Martian -- the site lost my recent photos (though not old ones) one time before, and I went ahead to upload them. But that was before the new owners and newest upgrade. During this current mess, there was a time it seemed like my recent photos had once more disappeared, but after I got the temporary password and logged in, etc, they were visible again. I am not sure if that might be helpful, but thought I would share.

I don't want to jinx it, but I have yet to see the one post per page issue...

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My gut hunch tells me we're on borrowed time and a short fuse.

I read Mike's latest post at the OSW down time Facebook page and it doesn't look good. Frustration is high for the admins who can't even properly access their own account for starters.

For those who can still logon and do whatever with perhaps some DIY fixes . . . they're the fortunate ones while those who can't get their password problem resolved and other issues are being left out.

The powers that be apparently are not responding and there appears to be no sense of priority/urgency to address the group's tech woes.

It's not the best of times right now.

:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anyone from the general community been in touch with the overlords? Do we have contact info? Maybe a group effort to let them know we are here and care about the forum might carry some weight. They can ignore this thread, but can they so easily ignore their own inbox?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
The one main problem with us members contacting brass is that, if everyone piles in, we've just added to their to do list. It's best to keep the communication side of things to the admins, then the techs are hopefully working on tech instead of ploughing through irate messages from us.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Not attempting to sew discord, but I haven't experienced any problems so far. Fingers crossed I suppose.
It seems random so far. It is only in the last week or so I've encountered the same bugs that others were experiencing with having to reset passwords every new login session and not being able to set a new one as well as the erroneous message notification counts. A new one for me seems to be the advanced message toolbar not working as well. I still haven't encountered some of the other random bugs others have reported with respect to posts getting split into one post per page indexing.

The password reset bug look something that people have come across before with vbulletin 4.x. Our new owners might want to take a look at threads Here and also here for some possible quick fixes. There were some vbulletin patchse for older versions of 4.x than this site is currently running on, but that might be worth checking out. From a quick glance at posts elsewhere on the subject it seems to be a mix of possible issues, including breaking code when changing the templates for the different profile/post pages, vbulletin issues with importing user data tables and not having correct login type syntax sent as well as general php syntax issues due to changes in various mysql/mysqli versions. The VS employee managing this forum recently made some changes to fix avatar/gallery issues which may be linked to some of the reported issues so that may want to be revisited if any of the profile pages or user tables were modified.

The user passwords would be the main thing to figure out as it is currently up to a 30 minute round trip between the two necessary emails to reset a password and I can't see many having the patience to do that every time they want to login here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I spoke too soon it seems. Tried to log in today, only to find my password didn't work anymore. Reset it, but now I'm stuck using the gibberish given password, as the password change isn't working either. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
The one main problem with us members contacting brass is that, if everyone piles in, we've just added to their to do list. It's best to keep the communication side of things to the admins, then the techs are hopefully working on tech instead of ploughing through irate messages from us.

CHEERS!
By contacting the bosses, I don't mean a laundry list of technical issues, just a general message that there are issues, and we would appreciate any help, as we do like having the forum. Just a "hey, we're still here!" message. Sorry, I wasn't very clear by what I meant. I get your point though. A tech problem bombardment won't help at all.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Well, add me to the casualty list! I've lost my avatar, and I CAN'T restore it via the UserCP as it comes up 'unable to save image' when I try to re-upload it!

I also get that silly Skype logo, I don't have Skpe on here!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
By contacting the bosses, I don't mean a laundry list of technical issues, just a general message that there are issues, and we would appreciate any help, as we do like having the forum. Just a "hey, we're still here!" message. Sorry, I wasn't very clear by what I meant. I get your point though. A tech problem bombardment won't help at all.
They already know about the issues PD saw to that, we just have to wait for the rescue choppers!

·
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
They already know about the issues PD saw to that, we just have to wait for the rescue choppers!
--

Pretty much.

Secure the LZ. Set up a perimeter. Sit tight and wait.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
But the choppers may not be coming......

Still no problems for me though, so I have no beef.....:nanana

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
693 Posts
I also get that silly Skype logo, I don't have Skpe on here!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAGH!!
I had the same problem.

Go into your profile and look at the settings in "Instant Messaging". Skype used to be blank but now a zero has mysteriously appeared. Delete the zero and you will get rid of the logo. Do the same for MSN if you want to get rid of that too.

·
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I had the same problem.

Go into your profile and look at the settings in "Instant Messaging". Skype used to be blank but now a zero has mysteriously appeared. Delete the zero and you will get rid of the logo. Do the same for MSN if you want to get rid of that too.
--

Yep.

That is if anyone is even inclined to do it themselves or they have the belief/mindset they shouldn't be bothered with it themselves.

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
693 Posts
Yep.

That is if anyone is even inclined to do it themselves or they have the belief/mindset they shouldn't be bothered with it themselves.
Porting over to a new platform always causes these kinds of problems. Admin won't fix them; in many cases they can't fix them without everyone submitting their personal preferences. At best they will give us a list of issues and how to fix them ourselves. If you want to pre-empt that then follow my instructions.

·
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
pukingdog chimed in on the OSW Panic Room & Rec Center page on Facebook.

One Sixth Warrior Forum - Home | Facebook

I know some are aware of this page and some may not be.

pukingdog and the other current staff deserved/earned much better than the current plight.

·
2,105 Posts
Thanks DFC. I am not a Facebook user, but I was able to read the content at the link you provided. It seems horribly perverse that Mike (pukingdog) is (apparently) still locked out -- and I mean completely. And that when Li finally replied to his query it was to ask "what site." If that is the one tech dealing with all of their (mis)managed online sites, it might partly explain why we are dealing with this array of problems for so long.

·
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks DFC. I am not a Facebook user, but I was able to read the content at the link you provided. It seems horribly perverse that Mike (pukingdog) is (apparently) still locked out -- and I mean completely. And that when Li finally replied to his query it was to ask "what site." If that is the one tech dealing with all of their (mis)managed online sites, it might partly explain why we are dealing with this array of problems for so long.
--

From what I've known of pukingdog throughout the years, he always held steadfast during some very frustrating situations. However, the recent issues acknowledged must be absolute bewilderment for him to post as such and convey his disappointment, disgust, frustration, etc.

I don't blame him for feeling bitter (to say the least), but even a respected "veteran" member AND admin like him deserve (and earn) much better than what the staff is encountering. I suspect we're pretty much adrift on autopilot for the time being without truly knowing how it'll all end or actually "end". If there are any posts with absolutely useful info worth saving, perhaps some may want to start archiving them.

The forum atmosphere and dynamics have changed as well good, bad, and indifferent and there are some who may see this as an opportunity to "get back to basics" (i.e. military figures only).

No one wants to take the doom and gloom perspective, but it's hard find any sense of optimism right now.

The fact that an @$$hole like me (i.e. not a respected member to say the least) of all members within the OSW posting this is awkward like a "WTF!" moment.

·
2,105 Posts
I know you to be better than fishing for compliments, and can't imagine you being an a$$hole or disrespected. Moreover, you have both experience and perspective, and have often provided exactly that in your posts.
I hope members will continue to visit and contribute to this forum. I hope members who seem to have disappeared (there are many, but Ephiane, Comicsrcoll, Odysseus/madplowman come to mind off the top of my head) return -- though I don't know if their disappearance has anything to do with these troubles or preceded them.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts