One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

Have activity within the OSW slowed down?

Yes.

The OSW is what we the members make or don't make of it.

We choose to make something of it by posting. Whether it's a picture, a comment/reply, whatever. As long as each of choose to participate to keep up discussions about 1:6, posting/share 1:6 works, commenting on the works of others, whatever . . . it's what we make of it.

We choose not to make anything of it by not participating. Nada. Zilch.

Then again we can chime in all we want on a thread about how the mature section closed. Sure. Any pool going on for how long that thread will continue?

Maybe we're just in a lull? Maybe it's the dog days of Summer (i.e. August).

So what are any of you going to do about it? Are any of you choosing to do something about it or not choose to do anything?

That's all.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Welcome back, DFC. I am glad you are posting again... with a vengeance! :)

And I think you are on to something. There has been palpably less activity, both in terms of original threads and fewer responses, despite continued reading of posts. For example, I posed a fairly detailed new product review that got 338 views and only one actual comment. With little or no discussion, it hardly seems worth it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Welcome back DFC!

On the one hand you encourage us to "participate to keep up discussions about 1:6, posting/share 1:6 works, commenting on the works of others, whatever...", and yet you seem to think that a very active thread about a change to the forum should arbitrarily end. It's interesting that one of the threads that many feel enough about to comment on should end because it is long.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
Now that you mention it OSW did seem quite boring for the past few weeks & I'm not quite sure why & I think I heard crickets chirping a few times? :think As for the Mature section I am glad it is now closed & as for that mature section closed thread I really hope it will be closed really soon & by way Welcome Back!!!

·
I've been Minimoyzed
13,958 Posts
Everyone is out drinking beer and throwing Frisbee's..... or some other nonsense. When the weather changes we'll all hide indoors and play with our toys and computers again.

Actually, this has been the case a lot for me for the last 3 years. Big lull.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome back DFC!

On the one hand you encourage us to "participate to keep up discussions about 1:6, posting/share 1:6 works, commenting on the works of others, whatever...", and yet you seem to think that a very active thread about a change to the forum should arbitrarily end. It's interesting that one of the threads that many feel enough about to comment on should end because it is long.
--

Context and nuances.

The mature section served a purpose, but then again how much activity/traffic was in the mature section compared to the general section?

With the mature section being gone are we discussing/posting the validity of why it's really needed more so compared to the general discussion section?

I mean did many members secretly or overtly enjoy the mature section, but didn't want to fess up about it for whatever reasons because it may make us look childish or like perverts due to naked dollies and such?

The closure came from the higher ups. How many of us are that upset where some may actually take it up with the higher ups and request the restoration of the mature section?

Do any of us feel that wronged where we demand and insist upon a mature section for 1:6?

Some years ago there a 1:6 discussion group called "The Tea Room". It started out as a joke from my understanding, but the group had pictures of 1:6 figures being depicted as gay Nazis. Yes. 1:6 gay Nazi figures.

The Men With Dolls forum also came up with a mature section called "AFTER DARK. I left MWD many years ago never looked back. If they're still around, then good for them. Many from the OSW back in day migrated over to MWD because of CY GIRL figures and such and a bit of rivalry flared up, but for the wrong reasons. It's all moot now.

I believe there are some 1:6 mature content discussion groups on Facebook as well short of snitches ratting members on photos and Facebook exercising their powers to suspend and ban members for violating terms of service.

If any of us enjoy mature content with a 1:6 (or 1:1) theme, then have at it. There are a variety of online sources for such. Whatever floats your boat.

My favorite photo thread in the mature section was probably the one from member phantom11 when he posted/shared some nicely photographed pictures of PHICEN's Sarina Valentia. It wasn't so much the shock value of the figures, but the rather very specific atmosphere and presentation of the figure that transcended the obvious and presented the figure based on its merits.

Excuse me. I need to finally open the shipping crate on the 1:1 PHICEN/TBL female seamless figure I purchased how many years ago. I've been meaning to take a nice group photo of it along with the 1:6 female seamless figures.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
It's possible that a lot of us may be busy working on stuff, or dealing with 1/1 life. In the UK it's the Summer holidays, so OSW'ers with kids will have had anklebiters to corral for 6 weeks, that can be taxing.

Maybe it'll pick up in a few weeks when the little blighters are back at school

CHEERS!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
My wife and I are selling our house and buying another, so packing and moving a 100 years of accumulated crap is taking up all my time (aside from reading and posting here on my down-time); all my 1/6 stuff is boxed up and in storage, and it will probably be another few months before everything is back to normal before I can start working on all my 1/6 projects again. Once that happens and I figure out how to post photos again, I'll be more of an active participant, rather then just a commenter.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Personally, I've had a lot of lifestyle changes recently which have led to me not having time to spend on 1/6 anymore. I just don't have enough time to commit to so many hobbies, and with the prices of 1/6 offerings its easier to drop that - despite me being 'active' in the scene as far back as I can remember. There has been a solid revival in another of my major hobbies which is taking up most of my free time so I'm just not able to find any for this one anymore.

I also feel the offerings of the 1/6 world these days no longer really match my interests. I love historical releases (I include the World Wars and Cold War in that) and loved the age of basic infantry offerings - even if it was a bit US-centric. Basic US Army, Marines and all that went with it. I'm not as big on the SF characters and gucci gear. I'm not saying the hobby has become all about movie tie-ins or anything, I know there's still lots of unique offerings including aviators and 'foreign' releases. I just don't see anything being released that interests me enough to re-ignite my passion. I have heaps of stuff in boxes for endless projects I just never got round to and like I said before I just don't see myself having time to ever get round to them.

So I think I'll probably reach a stage of selling off the bulk of it. I still browse here from time to time and post every now and again, but I'm definitely not active like I used to be. Its just life! One day I may burn-out of my other major hobby and I'll find the time for 1/6 again in which case I can see my activity on OSW ratcheting up again.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
Honestly I just don't feel comfortable posting any new threads here on OSW anymore climate has changed to drastically for my taste, I don't care for the very derogatory terms that are leveled against my type of figures & I don't have any WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi or Fantasy Male Figures so that pretty much leaves me out! Logging off for now.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Honestly I just don't feel comfortable posting any new threads here on OSW anymore climate has changed to drastically for my taste, I don't care for the very derogatory terms that are leveled against my type of figures & I don't have any WWII, Modern, Sci-Fi or Fantasy Male Figures so that pretty much leaves me out! Logging off for now.
I hope that you will keep checking out the board, even if you don't post. I recently went through similar feelings and I am glad to say I was wrong. I think the climate here is actually stabilizing after a short period of " What the heck is going on? " I think our admins are pretty good at keeping the forum civilized. I'm definitely reading between the lines on your particular issue , but I think the character type you have will still have a home here after a time, though it might take a bit for the owners to create the framework for it. In the mean time, you should still post your work (appropriately rated for our various aged community) I think I can safely say that the Thumper Principle is now in effect at OSW. If you can't say something nice, don't say "nothin" at all. We can still have lively and spirited debates, we just need to leave personal negativity out of it. I look forward to seeing your work soon!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm hoping we're just in a bit of a lull. I've actually be so productive on 1/6 projects this summer, but I've been so busy working on stuff that I just haven't had any time to photograph and post. I'm still always stealing a few minutes here and there to keep up on what's being posted, but just haven't had the time to comment as often as I would like to.

Which is a shame. I completely agree with DFC in that this community is what we make of it. And I for one would love to be more active in it. Sometimes, life just gets in the way, but I'd personally like to do more to contribute work here.

And Baddog-787, I really hope you don't decide to leave us. You're one of the more prolific posters on here, and your stuff is always a lot of fun. I do see a lot of people complaining about other people posting things that they're not into, but I also see a ton of incredible work, and genuine excitement for a hobby that I really love, and I personally feel the good still far outweighs the bad. It's an incredibly vulnerable thing to post your work, and that negativity can make it that much harder to put out there. But I think it's the diversity of interest here that really do make this forum better than most.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I completely understand where your coming from. The closing of the NSFW section (unfortunate, but not unexpected), has really started a conversation, and tone, to this board that has really set a negative appeal for many. At least half my collection is female figures, and while they are all clothed to some degree or another, this board seems very unwelcoming at the moment for anything that isn't military-centric, or 1940s High-School Dress Code (no cleavage, skirts have to be a certain length, no bare mid-riffs...). While I have no intention to leave OSW at this time, I too feel that if you collect, bash or make custom female figures, this is probably not the place to post those things. Over the last week, I've read some negative to downright hostile posts toward all things female figure related, and not only is it disgusting, it's going to cause more and more members to abandon the site (which is probably what all the military-only members would love to see), but it would be a true shame to lose people like you. I'm even afraid of the day when members like Lynkhart and Ephiane aren't welcome. I like the diversity of this board (fantasy, Sci-Fi, media-based, and yes, even military), and I'd hate to see it go back to nothing but military just because the name of the board happens to have the word "Warrior" in it. That would be boring as hell. In the meantime, I've joined menwithdolls (and no, not for the mature section), because they seem to be only site truly accepting of female figures in general.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
--

No!

I for one enjoy your posts.

Don't care or worry about what some others post/say/feel.

You keep posting what you post. It is very much appreciated by like minded members who are out of the display case and in the display case.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe 1:6 female figures should have their own section within the OSW or one or more enterprising members create a new and different 1:6 discussion group for 1:6 female figures for like minded members that is different compared to other 1:6 discussion groups?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe 1:6 female figures should have their own section within the OSW or one or more enterprising members create a new and different 1:6 discussion group for 1:6 female figures for like minded members that is different compared to other 1:6 discussion groups?
I quire agree with you! Only some strict/explicit rules on what could be posted., probably like some new to the
hobby I was not sure about what could be posted and used my own self policing to limit what photos I did post.
Having an active imagination I've experimented with my phicens (haven't we all?) but did not feel the need to
leave them like that or photograph them. I like a good pin-up in the flavor of Gil Elvgren (shows my age).
But in the the current climate I wonder if those may be to risque for some...
regards

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
682 Posts
Most themes are gender agnostic. Batman and Superman figures get posted here, so why not Wonder Woman? How is Laura Croft not fundamentally the same character as Indiana Jones? Why would it be ok to post James Bond figures on here but not Vesper Lynd? Why is it ok to post semi naked photos of Conan but not Red Sonja? What about Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings? Placing an arbitrary restriction on half the characters in a particular theme makes no sense.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sure....MWD is still around and I think they have been around just as long as OSW if I am not mistaken.

I definitely would say OSW showcases more products overall and they are more catered to a certain collector and hobbyist.
If you are more into strictly female bashes, creations and good photo stories, MWD may be the way to go for you. There at a lot of long time hobbyists there with an incredible amount of talent and experience as well.
I enjoy going there to see the diorama stuff that comes up from "the workbench" as well as some of the incredible custom made boats and vehicles from a long time member.

If you want to be in the know on new products....OSW is perfect for sure.
If you want female creations and fun no matter what skill level you may be...MWD is perfect for sure.

Some members here migrate back and forth and I am sure they wouldn't mind you stopping by....

Men With Dolls - Index page

SMcG
smcgcustoms.com

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I too hope Baddog-787 doesn't leave. Or anyone else, for that matter. I never really used the Adult Section, but I can't help but think its elimination was wrong, not least because of the evident attachment to it demonstrated by the resulting chatter. Two surprising (to me) outcomes are the several puritanical outbursts (but to each his/her own) and the appearance of slightly (slightly!) risquee material in the regular postings (which I can only interpret as a sort of spillover caused by the elimination of the defunct venue).

·
Registered
834 Posts
nice topic DFC, right timing I might add. because my love to 1/6 has been reignited again, and yeah, i'll try to start posting again soon. my pure motivation is plain simple = finishing my dream figures straight from video games/movies. so far I've almost completed MW2 collection including Soap, Price, Roach, Ghost, Shadow Company Rifleman, OpFor Rifleman, Ramirez and................ THE LATEST ADDITION TO MY MW2 COLLECTION = CORPORAL DUNN WOHOOOO

My God he's a pain in the you-know-where!!!! Wow... goddamn I hate this guy but when I've finished kitbashing him he turned out good!!!! I'll post some pictures soon because I'm so excited to have him I forgot to take pictures, dammit! lol have a nice day everyone

1 - 20 of 63 Posts