One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've dropped by this site more than a few times over the years but finally made an account now that my collection feels like it's leaning towards 1/6th

I always like seeing the projects people are working on, great stuff here.

I'm currently launching my own review site for 1/6th scale figures and other collectibles and was wondering if you could take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions.

www.dontbegaunted.com/

I currently have one review up to work out the kinks on the site, it's of the Hot Toys DX12 Batman

I'm going to be adding a few different things to the site but as of now it's going to focus on in depth reviews of the figures with photos and articles and also will be featuring my own creative shoots with the figures.

I don't know if any of you have seen it, but some time ago my picture of the Hot Toys 89 Joker and DX Joker went viral on the net and the response from that somewhat inspired me to pursue more shoots with the figures.

Here is that image:

And here is one of the DX12 Batman I'll be adding to the gallery on my website soon

All opinions and comments are appreciated, I'm looking on ways to improve the site as well so I'm all ears to criticism

Thank you and I look forward to being a part of this community

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ah, a fellow forum noob, welcome.

Your photos are amazing, I'm jealous. Although this may well inspire me to ge the camera out again. The lighting in the Batman pic is fantastic, what did you use for the lighting/background?

Your website also looks good, I'll be back to check it out when you've added some more stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the simplified layout esp the clickable images. I don't like scrolling down a lot, and borrow wifi, so keeping thumbnails or small images helps alot for loading pages. Looks good so far IMO

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Welcome aboard, nice site you've created. Clean and efficient, and interesting. Glad to see the fun factor noted.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Welcome aboard, and nicely done.

Great to see cons listed as well as pros, it's great when folk tell it like it is and don't go all gooey eyed and fawn over stuff just because it's a DX or by HT or just because it's Batman dude.

Look forward to reading more reviews, who knows, if you get really good then the companies might send you the figures!

CHEERS!

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, a fellow forum noob, welcome.

Your photos are amazing, I'm jealous. Although this may well inspire me to ge the camera out again. The lighting in the Batman pic is fantastic, what did you use for the lighting/background?

Your website also looks good, I'll be back to check it out when you've added some more stuff.
Welcome as well
And thank you, that's exactly what I want to hear man, bust out the camera, take some pictures. I enjoy seeing the pictures people take as much as I enjoy taking the pictures.
If you mean the Batman/Bruce Wayne picture I posted in this thread, I used two lights, one is an ikea lamp that has a really warm tone to it which was on the left and one of my softboxes with cool lights on the right, but a bit back/behind.
I originally did the shoot with a blank/black background but I felt it kind of took away from the atmosphere, so I reshot it in the same room without the backdrop, the background is actually a pile of boxes in the distance but the low light forces your mind to (hopefully) see something more like a batcave environment.

I set up a tumblr/twitter for updates on when I release new reviews & photos, both those are dontbegaunted / @dontbegaunted

I like the simplified layout esp the clickable images. I don't like scrolling down a lot, and borrow wifi, so keeping thumbnails or small images helps alot for loading pages. Looks good so far IMO
Thanks for the input!
A big concern of mine was the layout of the images, I'm used to seeing most reviews, if not all, putting them all up in their actual size, it was a bit of a peeve of mine as well.
Sometimes the article is referencing an image that is a page up or down as well, I'm trying to keep it organized so that it's relevant to the topic/category next to it.

Welcome aboard, nice site you've created. Clean and efficient, and interesting. Glad to see the fun factor noted.
Thank you for the welcome and compliments. I was iffy on adding a fun factor but when I was preparing the figure for the review I was really feeling it. I'll likely stick to that.

Welcome aboard, and nicely done.

Great to see cons listed as well as pros, it's great when folk tell it like it is and don't go all gooey eyed and fawn over stuff just because it's a DX or by HT or just because it's Batman dude.

Look forward to reading more reviews, who knows, if you get really good then the companies might send you the figures!

CHEERS!
Considering the price of these figures, you can NOT leave out the cons. lol
I love the DX12, I think it's perfect, but even though I think it's perfect, I can point out the flaws.
It comes down to whether or not the flaws are big enough to keep you from purchasing the figure... in this case, I really don't think they come close enough to talk you out of the purchase, this IS the definitive Nolan Batman figure

as for the latter part of your post... *crosses fingers*
haha

Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome as well
And thank you, that's exactly what I want to hear man, bust out the camera, take some pictures. I enjoy seeing the pictures people take as much as I enjoy taking the pictures.
Well I posted some of mine earlier this morning but for some reason a mod needs to ok the post before it appears. I assume it's because I'm a stranger round these parts and I might be posting pictures of my willy.

Which I'm not, just to be clear.

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice work! i like the layout of the site and i like the way the pictures are placed in the reviews ~ i typically hate having to click to enlarge, but it's understandable when there are so many!

looking forward to seeing more!
Thank you sir! Look forward to bringing more.
89 Batman/Joker are likely next (separately)
I have a few new HT's on the way but I have no idea when they are arriving, which I guess everyone here already knows all about lol

Well I posted some of mine earlier this morning but for some reason a mod needs to ok the post before it appears. I assume it's because I'm a stranger round these parts and I might be posting pictures of my willy.

Which I'm not, just to be clear.
Well the "One Sixth Warrior" could be misinterpreted by some visiting the site... safe precaution to take lol

Oh my! I love this photo. The shadow on his face is epic!

The site is really nice too. I really appreciate all the photos and details in the reviews. I'm anxious for more content.
Thank you sir! I had a field day with that pose, took more pictures than I can even use of it lol

I also like your watermark logo on the photos. Good design!
Ah! Thanks! Gaunted or DontBeGaunted ? I really couldn't think of another logo for DontBeGaunted, I just knew I didn't want to use the same one as Gaunted

As a fellow 1/6th blogger/reviewer/website owner I must say, it's a very slick, crisp and clean layout. Your photography is very very nice too. You'll have to PM me some 'intro' words and I'll post something on my site for you.

Cheers,
Steve.
That sounds great man, I would appreciate that, thank you!

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was talking about the Gaunted Photography watermark logo in the bottom right of your photos.
Thank you sir

I have DontBeGaunted on all the ones on the site so I wasnt sure, I'm very happy with Gaunted Photography, blends nicely into the photos, glad you like it

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Decent theme you've picked for the site. I'd improve the navigation from your landing page though, it's a bit narrow with just links to reviews and gallery when you have other sections called out above the links. Read more link navigation should probably link to the full review, it's a dead link at the moment. Toss a social media plugin on there if your focus is on the images, doesn't make sense to not have them there given your previous virality (ok that sounds bad...).

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Decent theme you've picked for the site. I'd improve the navigation from your landing page though, it's a bit narrow with just links to reviews and gallery when you have other sections called out above the links. Read more link navigation should probably link to the full review, it's a dead link at the moment. Toss a social media plugin on there if your focus is on the images, doesn't make sense to not have them there given your previous virality (ok that sounds bad...).
The "Read More" works fine for me and first I hear it's not working for someone, can I ask what browser you're using?
I have buttons for Twitter/Facebook and a Blog link for Tumblr if that's what you meant by tossing a social media plugin on there, thought I'm noticing the facebook plugin on the bottom of the review is buggy, I put a comments section so I could interact with people directly from the review page, but the comments don't show up for some reason. Contacted the site host about the problem, waiting for a response.

Thanks for the input! noted on all accounts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Browser is chrome.

Depending on the theme/backend used for the site you can social plugins specific to the images, that way when someone sees an image they like, its a quick one link without navigating away to share the image.

The "Read More" works fine for me and first I hear it's not working for someone, can I ask what browser you're using?
I have buttons for Twitter/Facebook and a Blog link for Tumblr if that's what you meant by tossing a social media plugin on there, thought I'm noticing the facebook plugin on the bottom of the review is buggy, I put a comments section so I could interact with people directly from the review page, but the comments don't show up for some reason. Contacted the site host about the problem, waiting for a response.

Thanks for the input! noted on all accounts

·
dontbegaunted.com
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's what I was hoping to do with the facebook like on the page, I have to find the toolbar that has all those options with reddit and 9gag and facebook all included

If I didn't post that image on tumblr when I did it likely wouldn't have floated around like it did so I agree that it's a necessity on the site

Browser is chrome.

Depending on the theme/backend used for the site you can social plugins specific to the images, that way when someone sees an image they like, its a quick one link without navigating away to share the image.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts