One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
retired firefighter
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys during the Iranian embassy rescue attempt,Rangers took part,my question is what type of uni would they have worn? equipment? the tools of war. any good refrence pics out there of them? tanks guys

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
The operation took place in 1980. BDUs and all the high tech battle rattle you see today was not out yet. M16A1s was the weapon of the day as was the 45 Pistol and everyone generally used iron sights. I was in the 82nd ABN and reassigned from 2nd to lead 3rd Platoon who was on DRF 1 for deployment locked and loaded at Green Ramp for the big sand box for that operation. I don't remember the Rangers being part of the operation from the briefing I got but hey, the brief just mainly covered our mission. The Rangers must of had Airfield takedown and security for the hostages departure. I think the 101st was also involved and a BDE was forward in Turkey as a blocking force.

To answer your question: Standard Ranger uniform of the day was the OD Green pattern 3 Jungle fatigues, OD Green Cotton T-shirt, and standard jungle boots or black jump boots. Standard SOP web gear would have been the A.L.I.C.E. with 2 LC-2 Ammo pouches, 2 LC-1 Canteens with carrier, M1967 Combat Pack (Buttpack), 2 LC-1 First Aid Pouches , LC-1 Individual Equipment Belt and "Y" Suspenders (Ranger configuration). M1C para helmet with leaf pattern helmet cover (Vietnam type cover) was in use then (Kevlar did not come out till 82). The US M7 bayonet w/M8A1 scabbard or the US M7 bayonet w/M10 scabbard would also have been used. The Large A.L.I.C.E. ruck would have been used along with the PRC (25s & 77s) family of radios.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts