One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OPERATION COBRA: A 70TH ANNIVERSARY DIO SHOOT

25 - 31 July, 1944: The Allies successfully break out of the heavy fighting in the Norman bocage and race across France. Paris is liberated on 25 August, 1944.

PART 1: TIP OF THE SPEAR: 4TH ARMORED DIVISION 25TH CAVALRY RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON (MECH).

Leading the pack, a M-20 armored car is closely followed by an armored Jeep as they maneuver through the wreckage of German vehicles and equipment.

·
AKA Nigel...
5,053 Posts
What a fabulous photo shoot and a very impressive group of figures:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

It must take an incredible level of patience to set up that many figures - just as you're gonna get that winning shot, the breeze picks up and unbalances one guy who topples and hits another...........

Great work and a very enjoyable thread, thanks for posting:)

·
SPQR
837 Posts
Fantastic Photos and set up.Must've taken a hell of a long time to get them all posed,they all very natural.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts
An excellent photo story! It must have taken you quite a bit of time to set everything up, but the results speak for themselves! Top notch work! :bravo

David

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Excellent staging and photography, this is how to make history live. You should be in DML's Hall of Fame. You showcase why they led the way in 1:6 for so long.

G

·
Great job, Fred. The photograhy is really good. Unimpeded Cobra at last! The driveway landscape works really well for the forced perspective. Kudos!

ZP

·
Registered
239 Posts
Excellent diorama and photo story….I think that you had some of these figures on display at Ft Thomas show for the Veteran's Day 2013 weekend south of Cincinnati, no? Did you also keep the photos from this shoot in color? Would love to see in color if available. Thanks!

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
That's excellent work.

You've the patience of Job.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Fantastic work Fred, thanks for sharing. The set up is great, top notch. Love all the extra details strewn around, like the crates and collected gear from the PWs. I think my favorite group of pics are from the briefing. They just look ultra convincing and 1:1. All very realistic, natural poses and nice to see some US forces represented other then paras for a change... Go 4th Armored!!!

GREAT WORK!!!

-JOSH

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It must take an incredible level of patience to set up that many figures - just as you're gonna get that winning shot, the breeze picks up and unbalances one guy who topples and hits another...........
Story of my life, Nigel. Glad you liked the photos! Thanks for the compliments!

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! I really appreciate them!

First - a big thanks to a great friend and my go-to historical consultant for all things US WWII: Josh (JOSH51st). He might not remember telling me all this - but he sold me on the idea of buying the M-20 at the WOH show in Columbus in 2012. Also sold me on the 4th Armored Division - they broke out of the bocage and did a reverse blitz across France - taking the fight to the enemy.

Anyway - aside from that - Josh gave me tips about how the men should be holding their rifles, why not everyone needed a shoulder holster for their M-1911, squad layout, TO&E info, etc. Most recently he helped me with my US medic (as seen in the photo shoot). He's an invaluable resource has always been quite patient with my persistent questions. Thank you again, Josh! I couldn't have done it without you!

So many of you noted that it took an inordinate amount of time to set up this whole shoot. You are not wrong. It did.

I started prepping the area of the driveway around noon on Sunday. Figures and vehicles were hauled out and set-up started around 1:00 P.M. Principle photography started around 3:00 P.M. as all the figures are freestanding (unless they are in a vehicle) - some had to be set up multiple times due to the breeze. Principle photography lasted until around 4:30 P.M. or so.

All in all - a GREAT day - weather was superb. Sunny, warm - I loved it.

Here's a panorama to give everyone some idea of the length of the dio:

The final count was 37 figures, six vehicles, one FLAK 38, one PAK 38 and scores of odds and ends for props to round out the scene. Definitely the largest photo shoot I've done by myself.

Excellent staging and photography, this is how to make history live. You should be in DML's Hall of Fame. You showcase why they led the way in 1:6 for so long.
Thanks PD! My collection is predominantly DML and I really like most of their offerings. Couldn't have amassed everything without them - nor would the hobby have come as far as it has without them. I'm a big fan of the glory years (2002/2003 - 2008 or so) when every release was new and solid gold (at least in the WWII line).

Excellent diorama and photo story….I think that you had some of these figures on display at Ft Thomas show for the Veteran's Day 2013 weekend south of Cincinnati, no? Did you also keep the photos from this shoot in color? Would love to see in color if available. Thanks!
Thanks, umpilots! I sure did have these figures/vehicles on display at the SSCC's Ft. Thomas show last year! I did a smaller Cobra dio on a table for the show. Glad you remembered and hope to see you back this year! I have all of the color photos as well. I'll post them next in a reply.

Thanks again for all the compliments!

Fred

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some Raw and Unedited Color Photos of the Shoot:

I personally prefer the black and white look over color photos. Too many color issues with color photos. Plus - I am not good with PhotoShop, etc. so I can use all the help I can get from the blur created by everything appearing in black and white.

Enjoy,

Fred

1 - 16 of 16 Posts