One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to dealing with OSW members in the Open Market section, the common & readily accepted form of payment is PayPal for a variety of reasons.

Does or would anyone still utilize the old fashioned form of payment in the form of a money order or bank certified check provided the buyer & seller agree or is that too archaic for a variety of reasons and PayPal is defacto method?

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I have sold on OSW, and I don't do paypal.....i have requested money orders with no problem........even cash.......

·
Hobby Military Advisor
1,079 Posts
Well, I use pay pal because it is the simplest method for me to pay stuff I bought overseas. I think I did a money order only one time because that person didnt had pay pal. Now that Europe switched to those International Bank Account numbers thing, it will become easier to use your bank account to pay things outside of Europe with, so maybe that will become another option in the future.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
There is no perfect payment system other than say something like bitcoin or a wire transfer since neither would be reversible. If the person is an established member here then I'd say money order would be fine, given that someone could easily defraud you via paypal as well. I wouldn't say its old fashioned per se, more so you may find people who don't want to use that method. Unless you have your own merchant account for processing credit cards, then paypal is probably going to give you the broadest audience on the BST.

Not sure if you guys in the US have electronic fund transfers between individual accounts across different banks, but that has been another popular option for private sellers here.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It's up to the seller, really. He should have more than one way of exacting payment. But since there are better and more universal ways of payment (like PayPal), it isn't in his best interest to ignore them.

On second thought, it goes the same way for the buyer.. :)

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,081 Posts
I take and give whatever method is comfortable for both me and the other member. I just received a money order in the past few weeks. Cash works too, although both parties have to be really trusting if that is to work.

Even credit card, although that is through Paypal, so technically still Paypal.

There are a lot of options, and not everyone likes all options.

Personally I am not a fan of Paypal very much, but it is most widely used, so I use it.

Email bank account funds transfers work pretty good too. Although I heard a rumour this isn't used much in the U.S., more in Canada (anyone want to chime in on that?)

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
we take money order check trade or any form i can get my money and you get your fixx 1/6 scale plstic fixx :thumb

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
The biggest problem with any method other then Paypal is time.

If i am selling I want my money now, not a week or two from now. I don't want to wait for a MO to be sent, only to find out a week down the road the person forgot to send it.

If i am buying I want my package now, I expect the person to mail the item within a day or two of receiving my money. Not a week or two (how long it takes to get a letter/Money Order etc).

With all the problems we have had with legitimate dealers, how best to protect your money? Paypal seem the logical choice although I hate their fee's.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
you PAY WE SHIPP THATS OUR MODEL
The biggest problem with any method other then Paypal is time.

If i am selling I want my money now, not a week or two from now. I don't want to wait for a MO to be sent, only to find out a week down the road the person forgot to send it.

If i am buying I want my package now, I expect the person to mail the item within a day or two of receiving my money. Not a week or two (how long it takes to get a letter/Money Order etc).

With all the problems we have had with legitimate dealers, how best to protect your money? Paypal seem the logical choice although I hate their fee's.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,321 Posts
Yes, I take paypal, checks, cashier checks, western union, basically any form of payment just so long as the person is in the US or Canada. I am located in Korea! But I have a brother and sister in the US.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
What the hell kind of question is this? What's archaic about a cashiers check, or a personal check, or a money order or - heaven forbid - cash?

Do business the way you'd like to. Not every decision has to be made by consensus.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Agreed! :thumb

These random surveys are getting tedious......

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What the hell kind of question is this? What's archaic about a cashiers check, or a personal check, or a money order or - heaven forbid - cash?

Do business the way you'd like to. Not every decision has to be made by consensus.
--

I was not looking for a consensus for a decision, but posting a question I wanted some perspectives on with regards to 1:6 open market.

Update IGNORE list in your User CP please. I did the same.

If the thread irritates you that much considering your reply, then please request one of the admins/moderators to delete/relocate/remove it as they see fit.

Thank you.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
You have to admit it is kind of a pointless question.....there are only so many ways to pay, and it's obvious by now that paypal, with all its issues, is the number one way.....

But just keep crankin' em out...maybe there will be a useful one soon.....:lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts