One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

One reason why BCS should NEVER have gotten the 007 license . . .

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  shazzdan 
#1 ·
See subject.

First off, I'm not a fan of Big Chief Studios based on the facts and truths of their past quaility (or lack thereof) and how it doesn't equal the price let alone value for the $.

Look at the very inconsistent track record of how they handled and still handling the Dr. Who 1:6 license.

Their acquisition of the 007 license divided many collectors within the 1:6 hobby ranging from absolute blind allegiance to optimism and outright cynicism for obvious reasons.

This is a picture (prototype) of Solitaire from the 007 series LIVE OR LET DIE. Given my focus/niche on 1:6 female figures . . . I'm utterly disappointed in what is being presented thus far.

To me it's utter rubbish. If it was actually better, etc., then quite honestly my view of BCS could have changed provided the final production design and quality matched. Unfortunately, this only confirms/proves BCS should never have gotten the 007 license.

The preceding is all IMHO and that's doesn't necessarily mean much in this tough crowd.

What an awkward month/post-Christmas period. Much 1:6 disappointments from FGC, threezero, and now BCS . . . it's not as if we didn't know it would have been this bad, but hoping it would not be . . . unfortunately . . . it is that bad thus far.

See less See more
#2 ·
As you say, "it's not as if we didn't know."

BCS is a special case because the inadequacy is pretty much deliberate or careless. They are the only 1/6 company I genuinely hold in contempt because they're not a real 1/6 company and they don't even care to try to make their stuff good above a certain minimum standard. They exist for the sole purpose of creating boxes with the brand logo of beloved British licenses, like Doctor Who and now James Bond, and some kind of figure to put inside the box, doesn't matter if it's very good or not. They know they are automatically pre-sold to Whovians or Bond fans who look at existing Hot Toys figures and who would be prepared to buy anything like that with the Bond name or the Doctor Who name on it. Many of those fans don't actually buy other existing 1/6 figures and so they don't have an informed standard of quality for comparable 1/6 figures. Basically BCS exists to cynically exploit the strength of love that the British pop culture licenses already command, by giving those people substandard 1/6 figures to go with all the other kinds of collectibles that exist.

So there's no point being disappointed by Solitaire. When we're disappointed with other companies, we can safely assume they were trying their best and it's just unfortunate that one figure didn't come out as well as one might hope. With BCS, it's all just business as usual, and they've completed yet another "C-" figure, and it's all according to plan, now on to the next cynically exploitive figure.

#4 ·
I agree. BCS really don't seem to care, for reasons as Moonbase Alpha pointed out very well. Such a shame. I bought their Sherlock figure and sold relatively quickly, was a 40th birthday present to myself....sold it within 2 weeks.

However, this Solitaire figure isn't looking good but the other 2 in the line don't actually look that bad. My issue is I would love to collect the Bond line, but I am not willing to pay out £200 a figure of this poor quality.

Flash photography Hat Performing arts Music artist Vest

Plant Flash photography Font Tree Midnight

#5 ·
To my mind I think people have been far too spoiled by seeing HT prototypes, as we know, these are all top notch, the same cannot, however, be said of the production figures, but, people still blindly pre-order based on the prototype pics. The Goldfinger figures have actually pretty much matched up from prototype to production and I have read Greggo's posts on that subject with interest. At this point in time I think it's a little unfair to write them off merely based on just the one promo pic.

To me, BCS have improved since the Who and Sherlock figures, no, they're not HT quality and neither were we expecting them to be, HT are HT. Will I buy any BCS figures, well, actually no, but purely on price, not quality.

#17 ·
I have zero hope/optimism for the 1:6 version of the 13th Doctor by BCS.

I prefer to see a third-party offering in terms of a quality head sculpt and outfit set for collectors to use with a 1:6 female body (jointed or seamless) provided a complementing skin tone is possible without difficulty.

I'm not holding my breath either for 1:6 female figures from the 007 series either.

I wish a third party have the balls to say FU to BCS and produce quality female head sculpts and outfit sets inspired by the women of 007, but not marketed as such for obvious reasons.

#19 ·
There isn't anything to say about BCS that others haven't said, but after seeing what their Fourth Doctor ended up looking like it put me off the line. A lot of ardent fans are starting to get disgruntled if the FB group is anything to go by. Figures in the Dr. Who line that were announced a couple of years ago still are not out, but still they are continuing to put up pre-orders for new Who figures.

#21 ·
BCS seems to rely on the blind loyalty of UK-based franchise fans. It must work for them because there doesn’t seem to be a market push to improve their production quality. I recently picked up the Martin Freeman Dr Watson sculpt and found the painting execution to be atrocious. With a collection of around 175 head sculpts, I’d objectively put it in my bottom five. Disgracefully bad. I’ll probably just strip the paint and use it as a creative piece.

#23 ·
Too many people think that it would be disloyal to Doctor Who, or failure to support James Bond etc, if they didn't automatically give BCS money...
--

That is so true. It reads and sounds pathetic in terms of the misplayed loyalty, but so true.

#25 ·
I no longer buy BCS products unless there is a huge discount on Amazon. The main reason is that the figures are too expensive for a quality that is subpar. For $150 ($100 or lower since I usually wait for deals), I can get buy a 3Zero 1/6 licensed figure, which would have better paint apps than anything BCS pumps out. I also don't like how BCS lies to the customers. For example, they announced the 9th Doctor in a facebook post, but removed it and denied doing so so that they can announce it during the 50th Anniversary - I aksed Greggo about it and he lied about it even though I and other ppl have seen the announcment of the Doctor a year earlier. Greggo also lied about being able to tweak the headsculpt during the photo stages, which they do not do in regards to the 9th Doctor - if I remember correctly, it was too late to tweak it. Now that they increased the prices of their figures, what is the point of getting them? If I really want an 8th Doctor figure, I will wait till Amazon or Thinkgeek has a huge discount sale, whcih they did with all the recent Sherlock and Doctor Who figures. I hate to be harsh, but I don't think any 1/6 fans should start getting into the licensed 1/6 business since Greggo and the guy from Triadtoys (I forgot his name) do not know what they are doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.