One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

First off, I'm not a fan of Big Chief Studios based on the facts and truths of their past quaility (or lack thereof) and how it doesn't equal the price let alone value for the $.

Look at the very inconsistent track record of how they handled and still handling the Dr. Who 1:6 license.

Their acquisition of the 007 license divided many collectors within the 1:6 hobby ranging from absolute blind allegiance to optimism and outright cynicism for obvious reasons.

This is a picture (prototype) of Solitaire from the 007 series LIVE OR LET DIE. Given my focus/niche on 1:6 female figures . . . I'm utterly disappointed in what is being presented thus far.

To me it's utter rubbish. If it was actually better, etc., then quite honestly my view of BCS could have changed provided the final production design and quality matched. Unfortunately, this only confirms/proves BCS should never have gotten the 007 license.

The preceding is all IMHO and that's doesn't necessarily mean much in this tough crowd.

What an awkward month/post-Christmas period. Much 1:6 disappointments from FGC, threezero, and now BCS . . . it's not as if we didn't know it would have been this bad, but hoping it would not be . . . unfortunately . . . it is that bad thus far.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
As you say, "it's not as if we didn't know."

BCS is a special case because the inadequacy is pretty much deliberate or careless. They are the only 1/6 company I genuinely hold in contempt because they're not a real 1/6 company and they don't even care to try to make their stuff good above a certain minimum standard. They exist for the sole purpose of creating boxes with the brand logo of beloved British licenses, like Doctor Who and now James Bond, and some kind of figure to put inside the box, doesn't matter if it's very good or not. They know they are automatically pre-sold to Whovians or Bond fans who look at existing Hot Toys figures and who would be prepared to buy anything like that with the Bond name or the Doctor Who name on it. Many of those fans don't actually buy other existing 1/6 figures and so they don't have an informed standard of quality for comparable 1/6 figures. Basically BCS exists to cynically exploit the strength of love that the British pop culture licenses already command, by giving those people substandard 1/6 figures to go with all the other kinds of collectibles that exist.

So there's no point being disappointed by Solitaire. When we're disappointed with other companies, we can safely assume they were trying their best and it's just unfortunate that one figure didn't come out as well as one might hope. With BCS, it's all just business as usual, and they've completed yet another "C-" figure, and it's all according to plan, now on to the next cynically exploitive figure.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Haha, wow. That photo is not showing off the product well.

Early reviews for the Connery Bond seem to be quite positive, but I don't know what they were thinking with the above photo. Almost looks like a McFarlane figure from the late 90s.

·
Respect, Honour, Courage
2,879 Posts
I agree. BCS really don't seem to care, for reasons as Moonbase Alpha pointed out very well. Such a shame. I bought their Sherlock figure and sold relatively quickly, was a 40th birthday present to myself....sold it within 2 weeks.

However, this Solitaire figure isn't looking good but the other 2 in the line don't actually look that bad. My issue is I would love to collect the Bond line, but I am not willing to pay out £200 a figure of this poor quality.

25994830_10214883859390542_3850586451379403300_n.jpg

o_1c1va2agb1ch91a8b1nc4ghg3u8d-2.jpg

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
To my mind I think people have been far too spoiled by seeing HT prototypes, as we know, these are all top notch, the same cannot, however, be said of the production figures, but, people still blindly pre-order based on the prototype pics. The Goldfinger figures have actually pretty much matched up from prototype to production and I have read Greggo's posts on that subject with interest. At this point in time I think it's a little unfair to write them off merely based on just the one promo pic.

To me, BCS have improved since the Who and Sherlock figures, no, they're not HT quality and neither were we expecting them to be, HT are HT. Will I buy any BCS figures, well, actually no, but purely on price, not quality.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Had no idea there were Doctor Who figures. What's the issue with them?
More than a dozen doctors/characters, plus two Tardises, Weeping Angels, etc. Generally speaking Sideshow 2000 quality at above Hot Toys 2017 prices.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Had no idea there were Doctor Who figures. What's the issue with them?
Over-Sized heads, crap paint apps, most of the sculpts look more like caricatures rather than a "real" person, mediocre tailoring... the Bond figures are only somewhat better than their usual fare, and thus people seem to be willing to cut them a LOT of slack; but considering they're charging more than HT prices... their work falls in the Sideshow territory of quality. If they charged around $150 for their s&$t I'd be a lot more forgiving.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Over-Sized heads, crap paint apps, most of the sculpts look more like caricatures rather than a "real" person, mediocre tailoring... the Bond figures are only somewhat better than their usual fare, and thus people seem to be willing to cut them a LOT of slack; but considering they're charging more than HT prices... their work falls in the Sideshow territory of quality. If they charged around $150 for their s&$t I'd be a lot more forgiving.
--

DAMN . . . you're more forgiving than I.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
--

DAMN . . . you're more forgiving than I.
If I believed they were sincere and well-intentioned, I would forgive Big Chief more. When I compare Big Chief's stuff to Sideshow, I mean "old Sideshow," around year 2000 with Bond, Buffy, POTA etc. For another meaningful comparison, remember that Pop Toys made an unlicensed Cumberbatch Sherlock around the same time Big Chief did theirs and it made Big Chief's look like Hasbro by comparison.

And BTW, I do own two Big Chief Doctors and a Tardis that I was happy to get cheap from three separate sources. In each case the original purchaser must have been willing to take a big hit to discard those figures since I paid on average below half the original prices.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I believed they were sincere and well-intentioned, I would forgive Big Chief more. When I compare Big Chief's stuff to Sideshow, I mean "old Sideshow," around year 2000 with Bond, Buffy, POTA etc. For another meaningful comparison, remember that Pop Toys made an unlicensed Cumberbatch Sherlock around the same time Big Chief did theirs and it made Big Chief's look like Hasbro by comparison.

And BTW, I do own two Big Chief Doctors and a Tardis that I was happy to get cheap from three separate sources. In each case the original purchaser must have been willing to take a big hit to discard those figures since I paid on average below half the original prices.
--

DAMN . . . you're more fortunate and thrifty than I.

;)

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just did some digging into the Doctor Who figures. Yikes. Some of those faces are freaky.
--

WELL . . . they can all use a better/superior paint application for starters, but for some . . . even that will not necessarily help.

·
12,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have zero hope/optimism for the 1:6 version of the 13th Doctor by BCS.

I prefer to see a third-party offering in terms of a quality head sculpt and outfit set for collectors to use with a 1:6 female body (jointed or seamless) provided a complementing skin tone is possible without difficulty.

I'm not holding my breath either for 1:6 female figures from the 007 series either.

I wish a third party have the balls to say FU to BCS and produce quality female head sculpts and outfit sets inspired by the women of 007, but not marketed as such for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I have zero hope/optimism for the 1:6 version of the 13th Doctor by BCS.

I prefer to see a third-party offering in terms of a quality head sculpt and outfit set for collectors to use with a 1:6 female body (jointed or seamless) provided a complementing skin tone is possible without difficulty.

I'm not holding my breath either for 1:6 female figures from the 007 series either.

I wish a third party have the balls to say FU to BCS and produce quality female head sculpts and outfit sets inspired by the women of 007, but not marketed as such for obvious reasons.
Not an unreasonable hope... Pop Toys did exactly that with Cumberbatch Sherlock and totally blew Big Chief's version away.

·
Registered
604 Posts
There isn't anything to say about BCS that others haven't said, but after seeing what their Fourth Doctor ended up looking like it put me off the line. A lot of ardent fans are starting to get disgruntled if the FB group is anything to go by. Figures in the Dr. Who line that were announced a couple of years ago still are not out, but still they are continuing to put up pre-orders for new Who figures.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Only Darren Carnall (Once on here as Hunky Artist.) made anything decent out of the Who heads.

17881855_1318761674886544_1834449066914742272_n.jpg

18012073_138367463368264_5422962764630982656_n.jpg

His tutorials on Patreon are gold!

CHEERS!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts