One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to post up my rant for the day.

REALLY hate it when you go to a seller and you are on the fence on getting a figure (cause you have been emptying your wallet and savings lately on figures) and the site says "Only One Left. Hurry!!!". So, you risk divorce and loss of your children and you snatch it up, only to come back a day or two later and see that somehow, there is still one left in stock and you know that yours has already shipped out. The flip side is that you dont get it, and it really is the last (like the Limited PMC Machine Gunner) and you are pissed.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
You're ranting why? Because you made a choice of your own free will? :rolleyes
Well waaaaaahhhhh!!:lol

Moved to Loose Bits, because we don't have a whining forum.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More like an attempt to spark some conversation through a bit of levity. Why dont you take it for what it is and enjoy instead of busting a guys ba!!$. Sort of meant as a thought provoking thread, I know the answer to my own thought, but wanted to see what others in the community felt about the same thing.

Sorry I have offended the sense of the decorum of a God such as yourself, causing you to banish my thread to the great unlooked upon beyond.

·
Just a cowboy singer
722 Posts
Well...personally I don't think it's whining when a retailer uses false claims to make you impulse buy.

I also have been caught in that trap a time or 2 back when I was into 1/35 plastic.......BUY IT NOW....ONLY ONE LEFT!!! so you rush to buy something you'd usually wait until you could afford it better only to watch as the retailer sells that ONLY ONE LEFT item to many other people stupid enough to believe it!!!

I know what you're talking about and think it's not very ethical or moral....but apparently it works well enough that they don't care....a shame isn't it?

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for getting my gist dio. Precisely!!!! I mean, at the end of the day I am excited that I have a new figure and dont need to struggle to find it after being all sold out, but I also have bought em a little faster than I otherwise would have. I have recently jumped from WWII to modern so I am playing the catchup game.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
How do you know the retailer didn't sell you the last one and didn't update his site?

What about the retailer that only has one left in stock, sells it and is actually able to get more (not likely with Soldier Story, DiD and TS because they often sell out at the US distributor level as soon as they come in)?

Maybe the retailer only keeps one in stock because its a rare, discontinued and still popular figure (e.g Trident from BBI)?

I'm sure there are some slime that do the "Last one left!" but you don't stay in business cheating people. What figure were you trying to get that almost caused a divorce?

·
not EchoBase Tung (Staff emeritus)
2,995 Posts
More like an attempt to spark some conversation through a bit of levity. Why dont you take it for what it is and enjoy instead of busting a guys ba!!$. Sort of meant as a thought provoking thread, I know the answer to my own thought, but wanted to see what others in the community felt about the same thing.

Sorry I have offended the sense of the decorum of a God such as yourself, causing you to banish my thread to the great unlooked upon beyond.
We apologize for offending your sensitive nature, but if you take a step away from your post and take a look at it from someone else's point of view it would be very likely seen as whining. Saying you risk life limb and god just to buy an item on eBay is a bit much.

Maybe also toning down the tude would make you less of a whiner.

·
Just a cowboy singer
722 Posts
Unfortuneately the "cause panic" technique in sales is considered a very successful marketting tool....not cheating.

I once was an assistant manager in a western shop. We had 2 saddles that had been there forever.....$495 each....people came in and looked a lot....but no one ever bought.....the owner/manager took a sale slip one day and wrote REG PRICE $650 SALE PRICE $495!!! and it worked.....people who had looked at the saddles many times bought them because they were "marked down" I quit that day because I didn't think it was right to fool people into buying.....but it taught me a life lesson.....people can be fooled every day!

It might be wrong morally....but it works....there's probably no one on this board who hasn't bought something because of that type of marketting.

Another one is RARE...how many times have you seen an item on ebay that is readily available but the seller has it marked all over with RARE....HARD TO FIND...and because of that they have an inflated price...Kater's sniper rifle for instance....went for $54 when you could still buy a complete Kater in the box for $30 from etailers....all because the word RARE was all over the post.....there's a sucker born every minute.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
I see this quite a bit on Ebay. Someone lists an item saying that it's the "only" item he has has and he "hates" to let it go. There's one seller on Ebay who does this quite a bit. So far he hated to let a gun go 7 times....

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I am up to having angered two staff members. Fellas, seriously, this thread was not intended to bring on the wrath of those above. I mean it. I was just kind of trying to be witty in sparking a conversation about the "last one left" and I guess I could be wrong and maybe the site just has not updated. I didnt really intend it to be whining, though I guess when one sparks conversation via electronic sources, one never knows how it will be taken. I suppose that when sensitivities are touched, things can get out of hand. I humbly apologize, ask forgiveness of all of those on the retail side, and hope that I will not be banned.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rod- No one figure actually nearly caused a divorce, that was part of the sarcasm of my commentary, but since I had just switched from WWII, I have been trying to play catch-up with some of the HT figures before I cant find em anywhere and dumped a whole lot of money quickly and was trying to make sure I get em before I couldnt. You are likely right as far as sites not being updated, I just didnt think that this thread would take on such a life of its own. I guess I should just stick with "nice bash" or good work or something like that in lieu of actually generating some talk during the long days when there are so few of us on the board.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
LOL

No problem. I wasn't offended.

Personally I think it lacks integrity to say something that isn't true. Does it happen? Heck yes. Then again the customer always has a choice. An educated patient customer is always the most effective. I bet those types of sellers don't get a lot of return business.

It goes both ways unfortunately. I've had a few individuals try and cheat me in my business (something for nothing types). I have it easy though. I just say "no" and smile.

No stress, I doubt you'll get banned. I think they cut off one testicle as a warning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently acquired a very valuable article of American History. An axe that came over on the Mayflower and felled the first tree that went into building the pilgrim's settlement.

Ir was in surprisingly amazing shape. The head had only been replaced twice and the handle three times. Other than that, it was all original. I snatched it up in a heartbeat.

·
Just a cowboy singer
722 Posts
"No stress, I doubt you'll get banned. I think they cut off one testicle as a warning."

I think we have found a new use for lg2's new axe!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL

No problem. I wasn't offended.

Personally I think it lacks integrity to say something that isn't true. Does it happen? Heck yes. Then again the customer always has a choice. An educated patient customer is always the most effective. I bet those types of sellers don't get a lot of return business.

It goes both ways unfortunately. I've had a few individuals try and cheat me in my business (something for nothing types). I have it easy though. I just say "no" and smile.

No stress, I doubt you'll get banned. I think they cut off one testicle as a warning.

Well, that sucks for him seeing that his wife already has the other one.

I recently acquired a very valuable article of American History. An axe that came over on the Mayflower and felled the first tree that went into building the pilgrim's settlement.

Ir was in surprisingly amazing shape. The head had only been replaced twice and the handle three times. Other than that, it was all original. I snatched it up in a heartbeat.

Funny LG. I think we all in life have had this happen, not this exaggerated but still something that caused us to become a little calloused. Mine happened at 11yr old. The day I learned people suck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL

Funny LG. I think we all in life have had this happen, not this exaggerated but still something that caused us to become a little calloused. Mine happened at 11yr old. The day I learned people suck.
Well, it was a joke. ;)

I'm not THAT stupid. I knew damned well the axe was a fake and he was using the bait-and-switch tactic. Glad I had my head screwed on right, or I would have missed out on George Washington's chainsaw. It's in great shape.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.