One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain what the deal is with the bidders on loose HT items on ebay?
Is there some new phenomena going on that Im outta the loop on?
Almost every auction for a loose HT item have bidder names that are spelled
like e***s or f***4 or some other permiatation thats got 3 asterisks in the name.
Every...freaking...auction.
Almost all the bidders have very low feedback.
Id say its a bad attempt at shill bidding but its happening with different sellers
in Asia and N.America.
Is it a psychological ploy to keep other bidders from bidding, to make them think something shady is going on?

If anyones got insight into this I sure want to know.

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
"To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, eBay has changed how User IDs display on the bid history page. Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y."

·
Graduated from Ninja Tech
3,427 Posts
I seen that on other auctions too.
But its been done before when a Auction went passed a certian amount of money, then all the Bidders went private.
The main reason I think its done so Bidders wont get harassed by other Sellers offering fake sales.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, eBay has changed how User IDs display on the bid history page. Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y."
"Ah....I see" said the blind man.

Thanks guys:cheers

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
It used to be when the item went over $200 USD, but now it's on everything. It just went on to all auctions this week. Ebay says it is because of privacy and other such nonsense. Is has some legitimacy. Ebay has also been losing some market share, and that is because if friends are going to bid on an item, some won't compete if they see a friends' bid on an item. That keeps the final cost low and affects their final cut on an item up for auction (the final value percentage fee, their cut). Now that you don't know who's bidding, in theory bidders should feel less inclined to bid cautiously.

One more reason ebay is becoming a pain to use.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I figured it was just as the others said, the anonymity issue. Wish it came into effect a few days before though, I didn't bid on some items because members I knew were already bidding on them, even though I really wanted them. :p

Sometimes the 'hassling' is ok to me, I bid on some 1/6 weapon and some seller saw it and sent me an ebay message advertising an accessory for it. I didn't mind it that time, it was something neat but the wrong time period for my uses. Oh well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Interesting,

But what bugs me is that the a**holes who made eBay need to implement these measures are probably still out there and now we won't know who they are.

CHEERS!
EXACTLY.

...and now you can't catch "stalkers"- people who watch what you're bidding on, hopefully that problem will now go away completely.

but now you can't warn other sellers about serial deadbeats. I've warned tons of members about people who were serial deadbeats to me. foreign buyers who bid on 20+ auctions and then dont pay, either because they dont like the s/h price, or to prevent competition on their own sales. I've had this happen several times where a bidder from Israel with a bogus account bought 34 items from my store, in order to kill the competition on their own items, the buyer was actually from HK and wanted to kill competition the week some new stuff came out, so they made a fake account on another ebay site!

I HATE HATE HATE all the changes since 2006. They are all horrible, the newer selling pages take so long to load (forget about it if you have dialup!), the dispute system is now trash (buyers can pay for an item then file a claim through paypal, and the way the system is set up it can be abused pretty badly by bogus buyers). As a longtime collector i've seen a bunch of my favorite sellers go away because of this. One of the best Stores i bought from years ago was an old man in Kansas who had dial-up but man he had great deals on modeling supplies, clothes, and old records. After the 06 selling page change, he couldn't load anything new up (it would take him an hour an item to list!) so he called it quits. He was so nice and the prices were great. thanks ebay.

the new policies seem to allow buyers a lot more freedom to badmouth sellers for newbie "sour grapes" - not reading something is broken, or not in MISB condition. 5 negatives my old job got just the other day read "i was overcharged $0.33 on s/h", it was a 0-feedback buyer on a $300 order, i couldn't believe that someone would be so petty.

I don't think ebay understands that their newest 0-fb members currently hold members with years of great service with a knife to their neck. Most of them have never bought anything online or mail order, and have completely unrealistic expectations as to price and shipping time. I get at least one buyer a week (of course a 0fb) who is one of those impatient types who file a complaint for non-receipt as soon as they can when they paid for Media Mail, complaining for a tracking ## when they didn't pay for it. Or complain that the USPS For those of us who run 50+ auctions a week, I get at least 2 deadbeats and 2 crazies every week. If i didn't have to deal with them and ebay's twisted policies, maybe i could list more (and ebay could get more of my money!)

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
Yes, well said Flaccid Eagle. They are trying to make it more enticing for new sellers. Problem is, the buyer has all the control, and the seller gets the shaft, even more so now with the new policies. And the shady buyers are making the sellers not want to sell.

Anyone who has a large feedback number and has helped build eBay into the monster that it is now, is getting fed up with dealing with all the new 'improvements'. Even I am having a hard time justifying the fees and the new policies. But where else can you sell some of your hard to find items? And another bad thing too is, eBay still has some of the lowest fees. So do you go somewhere else and get stripped clean in fees, or put up with the crap and take your chances as a seller?

Sorry for the rant, but it's annoying to use eBay as a seller, and I don't see it getting any better.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Lol.. I think I just got shill-ed thanks to the new system.
My own fault though, I asked the seller a question just before I bid...

Course I could just be paranoid, people always start bidding wars by small increments several days before the item ends and just moments after you place your bid, right?

Gah, can't believe I fell into the paranoia that something shady is going on. >.< So weak.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y."
Just as Corranj said above.

·
NM156
826 Posts
I know what you mean and the auctions are high too. I've been outbid on every HT item I've bid on in the past 2 weeks. I bid something up to 30.00 and its not even worth 10.00. I was outbid anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.