One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an ACI Hoplite figure at an incredibly cheap price last June on eBay. The obvious reason upon arrival for the good price was that it reeked of cigarettes. Not faintly, but like a 4 pack a day chain smoker. I tried various non-destructive cleaning methods initially (powdered cleaners on the fabrics, detergents in the plastic parts, etc) and only a slight change. I picked up an activated carbon/charcoal pouch (on eBay naturally), and put it into a box. A week after, not much different. Still repulsive odour (or odor if you prefer!) So I put the box on a closet shelf and promptly forgot about it.

6 months later, I popped it open, and not a scent of nastiness. Not a whiff of tobacco and chemicals. It worked!

So, if you have the patience of a saint, it's worth keeping any smelly ashtray eBay purchases.

Shoe Leg Comfort Bag Thigh

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the charcoal pouch was all closed up in the box along with the figure times for months. I wish I had checked on it earlier to see how long it took to clear the smell. It was a good experiment.

·
Registered
490 Posts
you could try the same trick with bi-carbonate of soda works in fridges cupboards etc. Baking soda may or may not be the same thing so take care.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Personally speaking, I would have requested a complete refund and return the figure at the seller's expense. If the seller refused, then file a claim with eBay/PayPal and make sure to leave a negative feedback to the seller.

This is why is never buy any 1:6 from those who smoke. Everything they have reeks of <CENSORED>ing cigarette odor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@DFC, yeah that’s what I’d typically do if it was of greater value, but I thought I’d give it a go. There’s much online about EBay and smell removal. At least it wasn’t cat pee! ;-)

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
@DFC, yeah that's what I'd typically do if it was of greater value, but I thought I'd give it a go. There's much online about EBay and smell removal. At least it wasn't cat pee! ;-)
--

I never buy anything that is opened/pre-owned on eBay. I normally seek out unopened items and even then I always ask questions if it is kept/store in a pet free, smoke free, etc. environment if the item description is unclear/vague.

You would surprised by the number of sellers who can't properly describe let alone disclose accurate condition/information of the items the post to sell.

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Thanks for the tip, madplowman.
I, too, have received eBay packages that smelled like the seller blew a puff of smoke into the box before sealing it.
Very annoying, yes, but if I leave it in the open air it fades away after awhile.

--

I never buy anything that is opened/pre-owned on eBay. I normally seek out unopened items and even then I always ask questions if it is kept/store in a pet free, smoke free, etc. environment if the item description is unclear/vague.

You would surprised by the number of sellers who can't properly describe let alone disclose accurate condition/information of the items the post to sell.
For what I collect, only buying sealed items is not an option, however I totally understand your standards.

As for the second half of your post, I sadly find it to be quite accurate. I can't tell you how many auctions I've seen where the only description was "see pictures." :sadshake

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you have the link on eBay of the deordorizer charcoal that you bought
I got some stuff for years I have not touch because of the smell smoke that I bought from the seller
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts