One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a SciFi flick to get me into modern military, but now I'm hooked.

I got Transformers from NetFlix over the weekend. Man! That whole opening fight between the GI's and that Helicopter thing was wild! When they called in "the rain" I got freakin' goose bumps.

THat one HT Predator I have is in for a world of hurt. :D

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have the same mix, and it's a nice mix to have. Modern SF Joes on one side; HT Predator(s) on the other. Who needs COBRA? The other advantage with a Sci Fi mix is your modern troops can look very realistic without being 100% accurate to any particular real-life unit's reference photos. :eek:)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
38oliver said:
I have the same mix, and it's a nice mix to have. Modern SF Joes on one side; HT Predator(s) on the other. Who needs COBRA? The other advantage with a Sci Fi mix is your modern troops can look very realistic without being 100% accurate to any particular real-life unit's reference photos. :eek:)
I hear ya man! I love to do research, I have two tall book shelves of nothing but reference material, also good with search engines (love me some world wide web). But, to just be able to bash out some cool looking figure is sometimes a lot more fun. One of the reasons I do so much Sci Fi and Fantasy is that it's, 1) pretty open ended and 2) who's to say it's not right?

I used to hang out at SAG (6th army group). Great bunch of guys, very generous with tips hints and tutorials... But they are sticklers for detail. I was and am still to intimidated to post figures over there. Not that folks here lack the skills of the gang at SAG, but that this site is open to any and all 1:6 topics, makes it a little less intimidating for me.

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
KneeJoint said:
One of the reasons I do so much Sci Fi and Fantasy is that it's, 1) pretty open ended and 2) who's to say it's not right?
That's my views exactly! Sci-fi/fantasy are so open-ended, you can do anything and everything and it all looks good because it's YOUR original creation and if you say it's supposed to look that way, it does... ;) :D

As for modern military - I'm not much of a fan - my 4 years in the USMC pretty much rid me of any desire to see modern forces represented in my toy collection. Not that I didn't love my time in the Corps, but my collecting allows me to escape reality and it's hard to do so when my figures remind me of my service - both good and bad...

ROCK ON sci-fi and fantasy bashers! :ar15 :ninja

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
Yes, I find that here, the membership likes the little details. But not necessarily the accurate details. It's one of the things that makes this my fav place to visit.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crowinghorse said:
As for modern military - I'm not much of a fan - my 4 years in the USMC pretty much rid me of any desire to see modern forces represented in my toy collection. Not that I didn't love my time in the Corps, but my collecting allows me to escape reality and it's hard to do so when my figures remind me of my service - both good and bad...
Jess, I think you and my Grandfather would have gotten along. He was a bomber pilot with the 509th in WWII, and was group a commander of the 509th in 1953. Very proud of his service to his country, but would never talk about his service, good or bad. As kids we would hound him for "War Stories". Instead, he'd tell us a story about him and his buddies, while in Egypt, getting drunk, stealing camels and taking them for a joy ride. :lol

·
KUSA Kustomizer
2,262 Posts
You're probably right...and I don't mind talking about my service, but considering my hobby IS my job and my job my hobby (working for Figures.com), I left the Marines to get out and leave that way of life. I don't mind the occasional military figure, but I'm more a fan of made-up sci-fi and fantasy...again, that escape aspect...

My brother is a scout/sniper on his way home from Ramadi this week (his second tour to Iraq in two years) and I bought him the Snake 12" sniper figure for his sniper school graduation present - he actually looks just like the figure when he's all guillied up and on patrol...it's funny :)

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been working on a bash of my grandfather, collecting bits and pieces here and there. When I see my family over T-day weekend I'm going to be making copies of all the images I can find of him in WWII and a copy of his service record so I can do a back story... He's the only real hero I have. I've learned more about that part of his life since he died. All that info he kept packed away, didn't find any of it until after my grandmother died.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts