One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Zombie Slayer 1st Class
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newb question regarding the quality comparison of the Hot Toys, Barracks Sergeant, Soldier Story and Toy Soldier modern lines. I've owned several Hot Toys figures and a few clothing sets from Saturday Toys and found the quality to be quite high. I haven't taken the plunge with Barracks Sergeant or Toy Soldier yet and would like to know how they compare before I shell out a lot of money.

Thanks

·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
I hear a huge can of worms being opened.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the SS automatic rifleman and CIA sets, and several HT military and scifi stuff. The M249 is a bit more fragile vs. HT; HT weapons seem to be more sturdy at the expense of moving parts/details, and weathering is much better on SS weapons.

I also like SS ACUs better vs. HT. The HT pants pull out from blousing to easy when posing, maybe they're not long enough. Fit and finish on all the gear is great, and I've had no issues with breaking aside from the male pegs on the flashlight attachment on the M249.

Paint apps, bodies, QC are comparable from my perspective. SS cloth boots are fantastic...wish HT would make something other than molded boots for the cash we drop on their sets. Hope this helps...

·
Zombie Slayer 1st Class
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I've been trying to expand my collection but wasn't sure which direction to go in. I used to do a lot of Dragon stuff, but the fragile nature and slip-shod workmanship made me drop the DML line. I got tired of spending $45-$65 on a figure that fell apart when you took it out of the box or detail at the expensive of being too fragile. Most of my money goes to Hot Toys, but that gets expensive with shipping from Hong Kong.

BTW, HT recently changed the wrist pegs on their figures. Instead of the "split prong" peg that fits inside the hand/glove, they now have a skinny peg. I've snapped two already trying to get the hands installed. Why screw with a good system? I'm trying to stock up on the older pegs in case this is a permanent change.

·
Ain't it Cool?
2,655 Posts
If you are open to it, you will find the world has may discoveries that are a blessing. There are positive and negative aspects to all vendors and I think you should take this journey even if it is outside your comfort zone. You can count on this group to help you when you have specific concerns. You will be surprised and what you will find.

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
You'll find so many varying answers after asking this questions that you'll probably just end up even more confused!

There are plenty of people here who dislike each company-- and just as many that call it their favorite.

All companies have their plusses and minuses, but none of the ones you mentioned are of any kind of poor quality. In fact, they're all in the upper tier of 1:6 companies.

But, you'll have to take the plunge and buy some stuff and form your own opinion to see which camp of lovers/haters that you fall in to.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,118 Posts
All of those you Manufacturers mentioned have their goods and bads. Take a plunge, or check out any reveiws here to see if you want to buy them.

You're asking for an opinion from others. Some may like, and others not so much. Find out all the info you can and make the BIG decision. All depends on what blows your hair back.

If you don't want your Dragon stuff I can help you out :D Im sure I have an empty corner somewhere.

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
I like TS for a few reasons.

Good
1, they don't come out very often leaving me time to save.
2, they do a wide range of gear/figures that seem to be correct and not like some who put out 1 man army figures.
3, price, always right for me, never over $75 unless LTD. Edition.
4, not much swapping the kit is needed as most is high quality.

Bad
1, Woodland/ERDL BDU's are rubbish nasty nylon.
2, tend to be a little easy to snap little fiddly things
3,time from prototype/preorder takes forever

1 - 9 of 9 Posts