One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
skypilot777 said:
I awright Chet. But the Leathernecks have that JAG girl (err, ahem woman... service... person ) :p
Thats hollywood
never see that in real life

·
Registered
416 Posts
significantly better looking women servicepeople.
flattery will get you no where young man :)

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
So, ah...basically we all agree....

We pretty much unanimously like the new "Blue Tigers", and want them made in 1/6, and I mean NOW!

Striker, this is just a gut feeling, but maybe you should reconsider bringing up these unis to the CMS. Just on the off-chance the issue has him at high-rev at the moment.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Cool...Tiger Stipes.
Sorry to see that the army's and Marines' headgear was infringed upon.....
may I suggest a new USAF-Only head gear....."The Propeller-Head beanie"
ET

OK Jeff, custom-make one of those:lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Clay . . . allcon

Glad to be back home. being away for a year was not easy, but all for duty and humanity I suppose.

In defense to what I have said about the BDU's, (and 106 correct me if I am wrong here) NO military uniform has been made that flatters a woman's figure. And you have to agree, BDU's are more functional with 10 pockets as opposed to the six pockets that were sewn on the old fatigues. (which I still have)

Even if a female taylored the uniform, to try to look better, all you have to do is look at the shoes. . .yuck! Mess Dress though. . .hubba hubba.

Once again on the head gear. . .nobody stole anything from anyone. Infringment comes from buying items at a surplus store and playing dress up. That beret has been a part of the AF Security Police since the late 70's. (Ask Chuck Norris, he has one) and as I said, the Navy already wears the pineapple hat. . .but what do I know, I just spent a year with the Navy. I would pretty much imagine that the Coast Guard also wears the Pineapple as well. (If not a ship specific cover)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hey Scott, good to see you with your real face ;)

NO military uniform has been made that flatters a woman's figure.
How about I reword that? I liked the old style fatigues better than the BDUs. I always thought the way the BDUs were tailored (baggy legs) and made women look fat because they had to buy pants that fit them in the hips. Then the blouse covered up the waist. So you have baggy pants and a baggy shirt, I thought it made me look fat :green. In addition the fatigues were a breeze to iron.

I just liked the OD green fatigues better than BDUs :)

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
Hey Scott,
First off, the "6-point" (currently called "8-point" by the corps) is not unique to them
The USMC cover accually has 8 sides to it.
I don't know who is calling it a 6 point cover but that is a mistake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes Chet, it IS an 8-point.

Due to clever editing, I can't post why I stated "six-point" but I think someone in this thread knows why. :)

Anyway, the Marines I was just stationed with, MCSF Company Keflavik (to be more specific) was redesignated (third fast) and departed Iceland. All wearing MARPAT. I got a chance to look at them and ask about the change, good, bad, indifferant. NONE of the Marines I spoke to liked them. The wash and wear concept is garbage. Even the weakest Marine said the uniform had no pride. They actually hate the roughout boots too. Miss the spit and polish. Gotta admit, those guys are a proud lot. The ONLY things the Marines agreed on was the return of the slant pockets.

I will only say, the new "fit" makes the uniforms look small. Small as in size. And a tight fit is constricting. Constriction accelerates discomfort. Discomfort breeds anxiety and anxiety causes mission failure. This coming from a person that in 18 years has NOT been allowed to remove his shirt while performing duties. 106-Lady, betcha YOU got to remove your shirt on those hot summer days didn't ya? ;)

Imagine 106 degree heat index on a flightline in a tight fitting uniform and not being allowed to adjust the uniform or remove the shirt for relief. Granted the fatigue uniforms could be taylored, sleeves removed for summer wear ect. and the shirt was untucked in theater or weather specific regions. But we have moved on from the fatigues. . .

Nope, tucked in shirts are for ROTC. I like the BDU style just fine the way it is.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Who me? Remove a shirt? Nah never :b

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Scott, I'd be willing to bet it was nice and warm in those vehicles when the weather is 60 below?

Or when it is hot and sultry on the LA flt line, driving around in those trucks created a nice breeze while the crew chiefs were sweating thru the NBC suits humping it on a ICT spot :)

And of course the fox holes at Heyford collected a nice puddle when it rained. Those auggie doggies loved playing in the mud during a TAC eval didn't they? :)

Seriously the three jobs I would have hated doing in the AF, was SP, a cook, or a 1st sgt.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You know, I thought that the form-fitting uniforms would improve things, but the more I think about it, the more I agree with gidefider. The tighter something is, the more discomfort it brings. 106Lady knows what I mean, the air force blues? I'm sure all of you armed service people know that our service uniforms are tight. When I wear my blues jacket, it feels like I'm going to rip the hell out of them. The 3 months that Alaska has summer, I've yet to have a day where I haven't removed my blouse, so it's hot. F106Lady, would you care to reveal if you were the DCC, or the Alternate? Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Striker the acft shown there is 79-181 which I was the dedicated crew chief at the time (taken while TDY at Barber's NAS Hawaii). After I PCSed to the UK in 1987 it became the wing CO's airplane. Then during the first Gulf War it died a hero's death :(. Took some enemy fire and nosed into the sand at the end of the runway (more on the story with photos). Pilot survived :clap.

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,006 Posts
Gifender:
Veruy intersting. By contrast, the Canadian soldies just rave about their new CADPAT uniforms. Interesting the first pattern (aka the exposed buttons) are a slightly modifed variant of the old OG 107 version with the CADPAT pattern added (the chest pockets were redesigned they don't take the FN mag since we use the -16 :p)
The second pattern has the chest and waist pockets covered and a few tailoring improvments.

I'm a tad surprised that the Canaidan heading off to Afganistan under the NATO-ISAF auspices are wearing the temperate pattern instead of the desert version.
xavier

·
Registered
21 Posts
106 lady

Thank you for proving my point. . .nice historic pic ;) Char has a pic of herself in the SP Museum in Lackland in fatigues on the rifle range. Me I just own practically one of each item on display in there. LOL

Now, to address your specific statements

I'd be willing to bet it was nice and warm in those vehicles when the weather is 60 below? - - - Well, while humping missles in Minot I must say 56 below ambient was pretty darn cold. And yes the heat worked great in the truck, that is until the cold weather caused it to stall. As for flight line, I have had two memorable experiances that I will share. One, I had a troop actually freeze to the ramp during a generation, and two, during the same ice storm, my flackvest had at least 3/4 inch of ice coating it during my patrol. (12 hour shift on foot)

Or when it is hot and sultry on the LA flt line, driving around in those trucks created a nice breeze while the crew chiefs were sweating thru the NBC suits humping it on a ICT spot - - - I share in your pain. Blytheville AFB, Arkansas, humping B-52 during a NSI. Daily temps over 100 degrees and night time temps in the high 90's witrh 90 percent humidity. And yes, in a chem suit for most of it. Also, Char shared in that experiance as well.

And of course the fox holes at Heyford collected a nice puddle when it rained. Those auggie doggies loved playing in the mud during a TAC eval didn't they? - - - Heyford. . .Upper Heyford? That was Club Med! Ever hear of RAF Greenham Common??? GLCM perhaps? Try NATO TAC EVAL, at Salsbury Plain.

Career SP who at one time wanted to be a First Sergeant but NEVER a cook.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Career SP who at one time wanted to be a First Sergeant but NEVER a cook.
:) Hubby was an asst 1st sgt for a period, so I was awakened by those phone calls in the middle of the night too.

Ya! Ice storms, blizzards, gosh I hated the cold at KI :p

And the ice fog in England :) For those of you reading this, needles on the pine trees would be big as pencils from the ice, so you can imagine what a sight it would be with that much ice build-up on everything. Not freezing rain, freezing fog! Oh joy! :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
gidefender, I applaude your hard work and dedication, as well as all the other SPs out there. Some of them are out there 12 hours in a truck staring at a red line. And when someone crosses that red line, it's time to 'jack someone up'. So I know your job may get boring at times and tedious, but I'm sure all of the AF people appreciate your work. I was veeeery close to becoming an SP. I had that as my guaranteed job, but took open general to get into basic earlier. Whew, am I glad I got NDI! 106Lady, I share your affection with those Hogs. I had the oppurtunity to get upclose with one just a couple of weeks after I got here. I love this job!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thank god Im an Aussie because I would die if our Air Farce tried to switch to that nasty looking gear!

As for the 8-point cover....thats just wrong!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts