One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
My eyes hurt. That pattern is just plain ugly. If the cameo has the same effect on our enemies' eyes as it's had on mine, there may be hope for it yet as some sort of non-lethal offensive weapon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
is it just me, or do they look like hawaiian t-shirts?

·
What can I make today?
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
By now most airmen have probably heard that we are going to wear test a new utility uniform, and you may be wondering why. Our intent is to create a uniform that will be distinctive, practical, easy to maintain, comfortable, and most important, a uniform you will be proud to wear. The wear test program will be conducted over the course of six months and will test 300 uniforms at nine bases representative of all our MAJCOMs and operating environments.Our current utility uniform has been adequate, but now is the time to develop a uniform that better satisfies our needs as a service. In designing this test uniform, we considered the requirements for camouflage, how and where the uniform is used and who uses it. Our current utility uniform dates back to the late 1980s, and much has changed since then. We have become a more expeditionary force, with less time at home to spend caring for the uniform. In the last twenty years, material technology has improved greatly. As a result, we have designed one uniform that can satisfy our various climates and utility needs while eliminating the need for professional ironing to provide a polished appearance. Just as the other services have designed uniforms to meet their specific missions, we need to ensure our airmen have a uniform that fulfills our unique air and space missions. Another important change is the greater percentage of women in the force. In the late 1980s when we first adopted the current utility uniform, women comprised less than 13 percent of the total force -- today they are nearly 20 percent of the force. Since then, women have been required to wear uniforms designed to fit men. The test uniform will come in a full range of women's sizes, so women will be able to find a uniform that fits well. A uniform designed with the Air Force of the 21st century in mind will address these issues.
The care and upkeep of the current uniform requires professional laundry service or a lot of dedicated time with an iron to make it look neat. This can cost as much as six dollars each time the uniform is professionally cleaned. The test uniform will be easier to maintain and will not require professional laundering, ironing and starching. We estimate that home laundering will potentially save between $180 and $240 in laundry costs over the course of a year.
There are a number of other advantages to the uniform we have designed. The test uniform will employ the same fabric identified by our Marine colleagues as the optimum material for both durability and wash and wear characteristics. The test uniform pattern corresponds to the jobs our airmen do in most situations requiring a utility uniform, whereas the woodland camouflage pattern is suitable in only a limited number of environments. The pattern will recall the "tiger stripe" camouflage used during the Vietnam War, but with the distinctive Air Force embedded logo and a color scheme of blue, gray and green that preliminary testing indicates may provide better camouflage. We're also making a number of changes based on inputs to the uniform board. We have located pockets where they will be most useful. We are also considering maintenance-free boots and alternative t-shirts that allow airmen to remove their utility shirts in hot climates without being out of uniform.

I ask that you take an objective look at the new uniform. It will be a distinctive Air Force uniform designed to fit well, look sharp and require much less maintenance than the current uniform. I think it will be a uniform you will feel proud and comfortable wearing. We will conduct the wear test throughout the Air Force starting in January 2004, and we'll solicit your feedback. My goal is to provide you a uniform that will satisfy your needs, while ensuring that we maintain the professional warrior image of the world's greatest Air Force.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Well maybe one good thing will come out of it; we won't have to spend time and money making our uniforms look alright. I've spent many hours trying to make my uniform look all straight and have the creases. If they have the same concept as the marines, they'll already have creases in the appropriate places so less time can be spent ironing the uniform. It also looks like they're wearing gray shirts underneath that uni. I personally don't want to wear a gray shirt with buttons on it as part of my uniform. That's just my .02, so I'll get off my soapbox now.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd like to know what this will cost. I don't see what is wrong with the current woodland camo for temperate climates and the three color desert BDUs for arid climates. One would think that with the current strain placed on our military and its far flung international operations, money could be better spent on such things as R&D of new weapon systems, stockpiling munitions, procurement of weapon systems, and improving soldier's/sailor's/marine's/airman's pay and living conditions to increase reenlistment rates. This is a complete waste of money IMHO and is purely an Air Force ego trip.

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Almost looks like a tie dye tee some banana head would sport at Lollapalooza.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My opinion on these uniforms is incomplete. For one, I'd like to see the "Woodland" camo pattern, which is the standard pattern and not shown for some reason.

The "Blue" version don't look to bad, and reading the improvements such as better fit (specific cuts) for guys and girls is good. The logo is nice to have on, but I really don't mind either way on that (that's what the service tape is for). The idea of low-to-no maintenance will be welcomed. HOWEVER, I will say that developing a specific color "Blue" BDU has really no merit or reason for it. And to develop these new uniforms will cost a lot for the US Air Force, which I think could be spent better elsewhere. And, the cover is flat out a real bad idea. Although I have seen some USAF personnel issued these covers (i.e. the desert), most chose not to wear them, instead reverting back to the standard issued patrol cap or squadron approved caps. Yes, that 6-point cover is most identified with the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard and I think it should stay with them. Widespread adoption of this cover by the USAF will send a bad message (force wide) as to the direction of the USAF.

One thing I'd recommend is if the USAF wants to get new uniforms, then improve the existing one. Some of the ideas such as the improvements to the fit for males and female uniforms, and the new material for low maintenance are good and can be researched and adopted into the existing uniforms.

Ultimately, it is the active-duty USAF personnel that will provide the feedback to the senior leadership as to whether these uniforms will pass. Remember, their direction is "all, some, or none of these new uniform proposals gets either accepted or not." So the USAF isn't stuck with these uniforms yet. I hope those personnel will take the time and effort and provide feedback on what they really want because it is ultimately those who are serving in the USAF now that will be most effected.

Striker76: Good to hear that Chief Master Sergeant Of The Air Force Murry will be visiting your base in Alaska. Remember, your feedback is important, so take the time! :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why does the Air Force insist on finding the ugliest uniforms?

Clint

·
Sam Peckinpah's Advisor
971 Posts
barabas: Pretty?! Pretty?!

Fighting men have no need of "pretty" things, for fighting is not pretty.

And as for the "wild blue yonder" stuff, I'm gonna petition the USAF to change its song. Too many "soft" connotations have been taken from it.

These hackneyed old stereotypes of the Air Force being the "soft" or "pretty" branch have got to stop. There are men who have given their lives, and they died in very un-pretty ways, to earn the respect the Air Force deserves as a fighting service.

So the same goes for the Marines. They should have their unique cover, and no one else. They earned it. And yet the Leathernecks still have to endure the same old epithets, and the same old stereotype - as the "unintelligent" service.

So, yes, the experimental BDUs are crap, and maybe the whole thing is a waste of time and taxpayer money. That doesn't make these stupid, tired, old stereotypes about the Air Force any less untrue.

(rant over)

BTW: I'm adding these words to the AF song: "You can run, but you'll only die tired."

·
OSW Trade Police (Retired)
11,749 Posts
The Air Force is a critical branch of the US Armed Forces.

The old saying "Fighter pilots make movies, bomber crews, make history." is very true.

I'm curious what 106 has to say about these new duds.

Personally, on the ground, it really doesn't matter what scheme of camo the ground crews where does it? Sure it's nice for each service branch to have a "distinct" uniform, but form a practical stand point is it reall that wise?

There are the usual arguments of expenditure and so forth, but what about the Friend or Foe uniform recognition aspects?

It seems to me these "new" blue tiger stripes look very similar indeed to the PRC's (People's Republic of China) Marine Pattern; also a blue tiger stripe.

Certainly uniform recognition is less important than it once was (as in the Napoleonic Wars), but as we move into a new era of MOUT and street fighting, it certainly helps to know who you're shooting at.

I know from a law enforcement position, the reason we have uniforms is to be highly visible to the public and to each other. Even our PSD's (Police Service Dog) are trained to recognize uniforms.

When working GIS (General Investigative Section), members wear "raid jackets" with bright yellow letters indicating they are Police Officers. Thus ensuring the regular foot soldiers do not mistake them for armed suspects in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All Con

Scott here, posting under Char's account.

As a current member of the USAF, I would like to point out a few discrepancies in this thread.

First off, the "6-point" (currently called "8-point" by the corps) is not unique to them. When the Navy adopted BDU's the also adopted the "Pineapple Hat" as they call it. As for the Ranger Roll, it is not Ranger specific either. The majority of AF Security wear their PC's that way in the field. Probably because we are the sister service to the Army and attend Army courses such as Ranger training. (This I know all too well from personal experiance.)

Things about the uniform to be aware of, this pattern is more for URBAN environment that JUNGLE environment. Security has changed more to a MOUT objective than a Base Defense objective. I guess that someone in the chain decided to try to make a better urban cammie. AF personnel also will have BDU's and DCU's at their disposal for sometime afterwards. Heck, when I was at Khobar towers (we all remember Khobar right?) the Patriot Batteries wore chocolate chips! That uniform was outdated by almost 5 years at the time.

Things I saw I don't approve of. . .tucked in shirt?

What appears to be another attempt at a sterile uniform (for the third time in my 18 year career.)

That HAT, (not that it matters because I wear the beret.)

But most importantly, 4 of the goofiest models I have seen to pitch the product.

I came in before BDU's were issued, lived for the day to put them on because they were more functional. These on the other hand. . .I am not too sure about. But what do I care, I will be long retired by the time they go into mass issue. Heck, the Marines only get the MARPAT in Boot Camp. Can't even buy them on base yet.

In closing, I would like to address this quote from clintm65,

"Why does the Air Force insist on finding the ugliest uniforms?"

I do not understand the foundation of this statement. Pilots wear identicle Nomex Flight suits as the other branches. AF personnel wear the standard BDU uniform with the only exception being a black t-shirt, and our service dress are nothing more than suits with stripes. And the Mess Dress is actually quite nice. I know, I was married in mine.

Sorry to barge in, but felt I needed to add my .02

Scott signing off,

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm curious what 106 has to say about these new duds.
Ha I was researching it as you posted! Specifically Q Con's quote because he didn't specify who he is quoting or where he gleaned the quote from. Sure sounds to me like some Senior Enlisted Advisor politician tring real hard to sell the new uniform.

I'm gonna give away my age again, I remember when the USAF transitioned from the OD green (solid color) fatigues to the new style woodland BDUs. The reception was mediocre at best. I, myself, didn't like the new woodland BDUs because I felt like a clown in it, the style/cut of the uniform was not very flattering to a woman's shape (yes boys and girls men and women are different!). So this blurb in Q Con's quote is of particualr interest to me.
The test uniform will come in a full range of women's sizes, so women will be able to find a uniform that fits well.
The other reason I didn't like the BDU is that I preferred tucking in the shirt, which this new uniform has.

Hmmm the 8 point cover :) Well lets say the marines now understand how the green berets felt when the rest of the army adopted a beret. IMO the marines should be able to keep their unique hat.

As for the color of the pattern, which everyone seems to be reacting to :X I will venture to say (with a smirk on my face) that this new concept was extensively researched (BWWWWHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA :grinroll) to see how best camouflage maintenance personel working on the flight line. I'm wondering how they are going to explain how CCTs and PJs will will be able to blend into their enviroment if required to wear this ummm... err.... unique pattern :)

F106lady

abridged version: I like the fact the shirt is tucked in, by the color stinks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah thanks for stopping by Scott, you really need to change that avatar tho ;) give my regards to the missus :)

·
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
5,445 Posts
<sarcasm>Maybe they want to be able to blend in with the when they get accidentally fall out the back of a C-130, or color the flightsuits and G-suits this color, so that pilots will blend in with the sky if they eject?</sarcasm>

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
today they are nearly 20 percent of the force. Since then, women have been required to wear uniforms designed to fit men. The test uniform will come in a full range of women's sizes, so women will be able to find a uniform that fits well
Uniforms are not supposed to fit well
They are just supposed to fit
Last I heard the military isnt a fashion show
Go figure the USAF would be fashion conscience

·
Registered
416 Posts
from USMC Chet
They are just supposed to fit
You know green tights fit well, and they are functional :lol

·
Sam Peckinpah's Advisor
971 Posts
Chet: I just defended the Marines, as a former member of the Air Force, and as a Brother in Arms. And what do you do? You continue to take pot shots at the Air Force, and add more infamous mispellings, adding to the "unintelligent" service stereotype... :cry :p

·
Custom User Title
2,594 Posts
Under my username
Resident Jarhead, Imperious Leader, Puppet Dictator, Gun Owner, Arrogant Bastard......(Staff)......Gremlin herder........HAHAHAHA
skypilot777 ^^^^ It's in my blood , sorry man can't help it. You guys got the good food, good housing, and significantly better looking women servicepeople.

You continue to take pot shots at the Air Force, and add more infamous mispellings, adding to the "unintelligent" service stereotype
Accually my spelling skills have always been poor
I went to private school (maintained a B average) and some college but for some damned reason I kant spell for ****

21 - 40 of 69 Posts