One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a pleasant surprise, Hot Toys and Sideshow seem to be on schedule with the release of recent pre-orders, and two of mine arrived today: Hot Toys' Empire Strikes Back (Hoth) Leia, and Sideshow's Empire Strikes Back (Hoth) Snowtrooper Commander. So here is a quick look at the in-hand figures, plus some of my first impressions. 17 photos below. I expect (and hope) Michael Crawford will be providing a detailed review with macro photos and all the bells and whistles.

Both figures seem very good, and near or at the level we have seen in the promotional images. The sculpt, paint job, and outfit on Leia are exquisite, and she is well-articulated, besides coming with an array of accessories (not necessarily shown below). The Snowtrooper Commander is also exquisitely sculpted and has a very good paint job (although it was admittedly much simpler). He comes with fewer accessories, although they include both a laser pistol and blaster rifle. I did not go for the Sideshow Snowtroopers (which says a lot, given my inability to contain myself where Star Wars bad guys are concerned), but I did pick up four Hot Toys ones. Any of these would work well enough with Sideshow's Snowtrooper Commander, because he features a movie-accurate outfit that differs from that of regular Snowtrooper in several ways. The most notable differences are the neater, cleaner look, the molded face mask, the silverish disks on the helmet, the differently oriented shoulder guards, the slightly different armor, and the different boots (identical to those Sideshow gave to the AT-AT Drivers). The boots are softish rubber, but not soft enough to provide meaningful ankle articulation.

The last three images are comparisons of the Hot Toys Snowtrooper and Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander.

I hope you find this interesting or helpful and share your impressions.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Very nice pics! ESB Leia is definitely one of their better ones. Sadly though, the rest of the line is really hit and miss. I would love a Tarkin sculpt though, so I can de-age it and turn it into Van Helsing.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
309 Posts
These both look great. I like the leia figure a lot, but from certain angles the face maybe looks a little long? could this be camera angle?

The Snow trooper looks fantastic, My first impression was how white he looks when stood next to the HotToys troopers, but I think that works well with his difference in rank. I was also fascinated at how the weathering on the Hot toys seems to be applied exactly the same. The little scratch mark over their left eyes drew my attention to it, but there are other details which match too, fascinating.

Love the photos as usual they are full of life and convey action well. I would be happy to have either of these figures.

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've got some great photos in here.
Thank you, glad you liked them!

Very nice pics! ESB Leia is definitely one of their better ones. Sadly though, the rest of the line is really hit and miss. I would love a Tarkin sculpt though, so I can de-age it and turn it into Van Helsing. CHEERS!
Thank you. Yes, Leia's pretty good. Haven't encountered a really bad figure in either line recently. De-aging Tarkin? And I thought you are a SW fan. Anyway, if you are very diligent you might find a loose head; they were pricey to begin with, and lately even more so (I mean for other HT head sculpts).

These both look great. I like the leia figure a lot, but from certain angles the face maybe looks a little long? could this be camera angle?
The Snow trooper looks fantastic, My first impression was how white he looks when stood next to the HotToys troopers, but I think that works well with his difference in rank. I was also fascinated at how the weathering on the Hot toys seems to be applied exactly the same. The little scratch mark over their left eyes drew my attention to it, but there are other details which match too, fascinating.
Love the photos as usual they are full of life and convey action well. I would be happy to have either of these figures.
Thank you. My camera sometimes elongates things a little bit vertically, there may be some of that. The lights make a difference too. She looks a little bit better in hand and pretty close to the promotional images. When I looked over the photos I noticed the difference in stature. Part of it may be caused by the surface, but as a rule, Sideshow's sixth-scale figures do tend to be taller than Hot Toys'. Not enough to be a problem mixing them, but enough to notice. They are also different coming from different molds. For example, the Sideshow Snowtrooper Commander helmet has a more spherical dome and the sides flare out a little more. I suspect it is the same with Sideshow's regular snowtroopers. The weathering of the Hot Toys snowtroopers is pretty nicely done, but yes, it is exactly the same on each figure.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Nice "silent story ". These pictures contain many word.
It's good that we all know it works out for Han and Leia, as that is a whole lot of bad guys to face.
I like the contrast of the two Snowtroopers. It's interesting to me to see where a company chooses to spend their budget on the details.
Thanks for sharing them with us!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice "silent story ". These pictures contain many words.... I like the contrast of the two Snowtroopers. It's interesting to me to see where a company chooses to spend their budget on the details. Thanks for sharing them with us!
Thank you, and you're welcome. There is a story, but I wasn't ready for the callouts just yet, and I might revisit this in another Star Wars story thread or something for the Funnies thread. That is why the pictures contain many words. ;)
Given that the snowtroopers and snowtrooper commanders do not wear exactly the same outfit (though there are elements in common), I am wondering what in particular caused your conclusion about difference as to choice of details?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Thank you. Yes, Leia's pretty good. Haven't encountered a really bad figure in either line recently. De-aging Tarkin? And I thought you are a SW fan. Anyway, if you are very diligent you might find a loose head; they were pricey to begin with, and lately even more so (I mean for other HT head sculpts)
I am an SW fan, but, I have a Lee Dracula and have always wanted a Van Helsing to go with it. Besides, I don't have a Vader to go with Tarkin.

CHEERS!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts