One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
A little over the top. I do not think it is possible to drive your fist through a persons skull. Or maybe you can. What do I know!?!? :confused:

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
A little info about this movie - Thomas Jane was set to reprise his role as the Punisher but he said that the studio mangled the script so bad he couldn't in all good conscience go through with it. He said it really hurt him because he had trained so hard for the role and poured his heart into it.

It's going to be awful.

Quint,

I'm writing to tell you that I regretfully and painfully had to pull out of P2. I can't tell you how completely broken up I am about it. After busting my ass at the gym four days a week for almost two years, watching every character driven action pic that any fan would ask me to watch while I was standing in line buying egg whites and Tuna fish (Leon the Professional, Oldboy, The Seven-Ups (GREAT flick), Point Blank, Escape from NY, The Driver, Magnum Force, The Mechanic, The Great Silence, Sexy Beast, Nighthawks, Cry Vengeance (check it out), Road Warrior, Man on Fire, Outlaw Josey Wales, Rocky (think about it), Serpico, etc etc etc.) after countless Saturday nights making notes and drinking soda water and munching on seaweed sticks while my daughter slept on my lap to the sound of automatic gunfire, (now she can't sleep without it. I had to make a tape of automatic gunfire to play in her room at night) after hauling myself to any 'Guns! Knifes! Ammo!' show in any small town that I found myself in shooting Killshot or The Mist or Mutant Chronicles, after torn ligaments, screwed up rotator cuffs, thousands of $$$ on ridiculously huge vitamins, overly long conversations with frighteningly tall men about The Fastest Way To Kill Someone With Your Bare Hands, and after a dude refused to sell me a Fatburger at 2am on Santa Monica Blvd, I am, sadly - no, make that heartbrokenly - **** it - just rip out the heart and stomp it into the pavement a couple of times - pulling out. Punisher fans are already fighting an uphill battle as it is. And I've always felt a responsibility to fight that fight for them and with them so that Frank Castle gets the treatment he deserves.

I'm sharing this with you because I know you're a fan, like me, and you've got your ear to the ground, and because we seem to share the same sort of taste and passion when it comes to movies and stories that get us off. What I won't do is spend months of my life sweating over a movie that I just don't believe in. I've always loved the Marvel guys, and wish them well. Meanwhile, I'll continue to search for a film that one day might stand with all those films that the fans have asked me to watch.

Sincerely,
Thomas Jane
The link is here: http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/32673

·
frustrated hobbiest
1,602 Posts
I know it sounds odd coming from a grown man who plays with toy soldiers, but that just looks like gratuitous violence, just for the sake of gratuitous violence...

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Thomas Jane is a cool guy, but his Punisher flick sucked sh*t.

As silly as War Zone may be, it's got McNulty from The Wire as Jigsaw, tons a' gunz and enough ultraviolence to make it essential Wednesday night DVD viewing.

It's going up there with The Art of War 2 (Snipes is BACK!) on Netflix.

And if his absence from the flick means Jane can get Criminal Macabre made quicker, then all the better.

·
Requiescat In Pace
7,095 Posts
Hope that guy who directed the Boondock Saints got a royalty check -

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
I know it sounds odd coming from a grown man who plays with toy soldiers, but that just looks like gratuitous violence, just for the sake of gratuitous violence...
Yeah the Punisher trailer really does just look like mindless violence. I actually liked the Punisher film with Jane, but it could have been better. They actually stayed pretty faithful to the series that it was based on. His neighbors were pretty spot on as was "The Russian". If they had the right people writing this new one it could have been great with Jane in it. The first one's weak points were definitely not his fault. He was very good as Frank Castle.

This new one has the skull super faded so you almost don't see it. It's like they're trying extra hard to not put any of the Punisher's character into the movie yet cash in on the name.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Jeez, did they consult or tap Tarantino or something?
First impression is like most of your's, cheesy, gratuitous violence, but with the headstone flashback sequence to reinforce the punisher aspect.
Maybe there'll be some redeeming trailer for it later that shows more substance.

Didn't really dig the first Pun, but like Kuroi noted, a midweek redbox rental maybe.

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
Too bad this looks horrible. The dude who plays the Punisher is the guy who played Titus Pullo in the HBO's series, "Rome." And he was awesome in that.

Oh, well. Can't always hit a home run.

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,637 Posts
Ray Stevenson is an excellent actor(Rome;Outpost) and I think he can pull this off even better than T. Jane. I like T. Jane, but just couldn't see him as Punisher. Physically, Stevenson looks more like the Punisher than Lundgren or Jane and he' a better actor than both IMO. Who knows, the movie might be suprisingly good.

·
Action Fuger!
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Good lord, people. This is bad guys getting their ass kicked in horrible ways. What's not to like? Sure it's not gonna win an Academy Award, but come on.

As for Jane, I'm not really a fan. Stevenson is the first actor to look like The Punisher, I think.

Maybe it's because I've been reading the Punisher MAX books that I'd really like an ass-kicking Punisher....

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I think Jane is a decent actor and a fan as well, but I never got the impression of raw violence and power in his Frank Castle. Everyone has their image of characters, for me Castle was a man whose grief released what he had once been. Having nothing left to lose, there remained only an avenger more terible than the evil which created him. I don't know if Ray Stevenson is the one, but he looks pretty close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.